“Chic, affordable and centrally-located”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de Varenne

Hotel de Varenne
Ranked #110 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Pasadena, California
“Chic, affordable and centrally-located”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I would recommend the Hotel de Varenne quite highly. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood in the 7th Arrondisement and is close to all of the major Paris sights ( Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Louvre). The room itself was spacious and comfortable with modern amenities - my favorite was an in-room refrigerator and air conditioner. The hotel staff were courteous and helpful - they gave me directions everyday with a smile. Overall, this hotel more than met my expectations and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. What I liked most was that it is not located in a touristy area and is a great value for the money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PasadenaChick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Miami Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I do not usually write reviews (good or bad), but upon reading some other reviews I felt obligated to share my experience in this hotel. My twelve year old son and I would not have had as wonderful a time in Paris staying in any other hotel. The room was clean, warm (Mid-December trip), spacious and the staff courteous and knowledgable. The location was perfect as we could walk to the Musee d'Orsay, Louvre, Rodin as well as cross the street and pay a visit to Napoleon at Invalides! Proximity to both Metro and RER train stations made traveling fast and simple whether it was visiting Versailles or Saint Denis. My one regret is not having written this review much sooner. For the money paid it was more than we expected!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Rick R
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have recently stayed at Hotel Varenne whilst on Honeymoon in Paris. It is conveniently situated as far as we are concerned but we were happy to put on our comfy shoes and walk everywhere we wanted to go. We used the Metro quite frequently which was quite handily placed half a block away. We were attracted to the Hotel in the first place due to the decor of the Hotel and it's rooms. If I had known better I would have taken a travel kettle/cups so as to have tea & coffee in our room but the breakfast and tea/coffee served were more than adequate for our needs. We would quite happily recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wendyg63
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and found it very overrated. We do not think it is well situated as it is far from all the attractions. We found the staff courteous but not really friendly. The rooms are clean , but small and stuffy and the aircon makes more noise than anything else. The breakfast is merely a very average croissant , bread, jam and coffee , tea or hot chocolate - we have had much better at similar small hotels. We have stayed at any number of small hotels in Paris which were better in every aspect. We will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Huyshen
, Owner at Hotel de Varenne, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking time to send a review of our hotel.
I am so sorry that your experience with us didn't match your expectations.
You mention that our hotel is not "well situated", this is your opinion and I respect it of course. But let me explain where the hotel is located. We are in the very center of Paris, in the heart of the 7th district which is the most upscale area of the city. The Musée Rodin is just next door and Musée des Invalides, Grand Palais, Petit Palais, Musée Maillol, Musée d'Orsay and even the Louvre are walking distance in less than 15 minutes. To go to the Eiffel tower you can walk there in 20 minutes or take bus 69 which stops around the corner. We have the metro station "Varenne" just around the block, 200 meters from the hotel, to reach any place in the city easily. Our guests usually appreciate very much our premium location.
Concerning the air conditioning I personally checked in your room after reading your comment. I didn't notice any breakdown or wrong working. We chose to invest in a very good equipment made by Mitsubishi just because they have the most silent system and we just had a complete checkup this past winter. I guarantee that if you turn it on to the maximum the temperature in the room will go down to 18 °C (64 °F).
I am so sorry you decided to nether come back to Hotel de Varenne and would like to tell you that, if you ever change your mind, we will be happy to welcome you again and do our best to make you enjoy your stay with us.
Best regards.

Jean-Marc POMMIER
Owner and Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

First impressions were that this hotel is a lot smaller that I had hoped, but when ur sitting in the courtyard in the morning drinking good coffee and croissant you will forget about all about it. This hotel is a perfect little gem tucked into a quiet enough street in a lovely area of Paris. Leaving the hotel on the morning we felt refreshed and ready for the day and when we were returning in the evening we knew that we had somewhere where we could relax and feel comfortable in. There was a lovely French lady on reception who was friendly and very attentive. Look no further than this charming hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Motomah
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

These are the two qualities we want to mention about this place.
As already reviewed the location is superb and the comfort excellent.
We really had a great time there

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rick b
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was my first visit to Paris and I wanted it to be perfect. After reviewing so many hotels on trip advisor, I felt that I have found the perfect place.

Location: It was perfect. We walked everywhere. Eiffel tower was merely 30 minutes walk away. There is a direct bus # 69 to the tower also. We did take bus and metro sometimes but it was only because we were too tired to walk or it was raining.

Room: I have to say I was very disappointed with the size of the room. We booked a superior double room, garden view for 229 euros a night. The hotel information about the size of the room is accurate. It was just me thinking that the room would be huge. Paris rooms seems to be very very small from the North American point of view.

I saw some real estate listings on the street and to my surprise, apartments just three times bigger than our room were on sale for a little less a million euros.

Room was clean and cleaning staff were very helpful.

We booked a garden view room as suggested by a previous guest but it was not enough to keep the noise out. Hotel is on a busy street near to lot of offices. We could hear traffic starting at 0830. During our stay, there was some road work going on. That increased the noise level significantly. Normally this would not have been an issue with us but we were traveling with a 18 month old baby who still sleeps a lot.

Bathroom size was ok. They provide shampoo, body lotion and shower gel. No conditioner.

Breakfast: Coffee is 4 euros and continental breakfast is 11 euros. There is no free tea or coffee in the room. For 11 euros, I got half baguette, 2 regular and 2 chocolate croissants, a glass of orange juice, coffee and some jams.

Room Tip: * There is a nice bread shop next door for the breakfast but they do not open Saturdays or Sundays...