“Very Nice and Convenient”
Review of Hotel de Varenne

Hotel de Varenne
Ranked #124 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Very Nice and Convenient”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in March 2012. The room was large enough that we did not feel crowded. It was very well equipped with a table and wall-mounted lights on each side of the bed, a desk and chair, another small chair, a small refrigerator and safe hidden away in a cabinet, a Bose speaker for an Ipod, a TV (that we never used), a phone, and a small but adequate closet. The bathroom was very nice also. The only negative for some people was that there was no shower, but it had a hand-held spray in the tub. Some water would get on the floor but the floor was tile, so it was no problem. The windows opened up on the small courtyard. There was a little street noise with the windows open but it was completely quiet with the windows closed. The fixtures and windows were modern and very nice. The room was very clean. The staff were very polite and helpful. Breakfast was limited but adequate. The courtyard is nice for breakfast or relaxing. The location is great; it is on a quiet side street close to the metro station and an easy walk to the d'Orsay museum, the Rodin museum, the Eiffel tower, restaurants, and other attractions. There is a small grocery store across the street. The highly rated Auguste restaurant is 1/2 block away but I recommend not going there. It is extremely expensive and our meal there was OK but not special. You can eat al least four equally good meals somewhere else for the price. We would definitely stay at the Varenne again.

Room Tip: Suggest getting a room on the second floor or above, on the courtyard.
6 Thank Jigman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Latvia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at Hotel de Varenne only for two nights. We were very satisfied with everything, especially because of great location. The hotel is just 5 minutes by feet from metro station Varenne and another station Invalides is only little bit more apart. Musée d'Orsay is very close and if you like walking, it is no problem to go by feet till Louvre and Notre Dame church. Actually we did extend the route along all three mentioned spots till Montmartre and then we continued by feet back to the hotel. The hotel rooms could be a little more spatious, but just for passing over the night they were quite O.K. They are serving modest breakfast, but it was absolutely enough for us to cover our needs. Rooms were clean, everything in good condition. People were friendly.

4 Thank JanisLatvia
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 1, 2012

After having read the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Hotel de Varenne on tripadvisor, I chose to book it for our November 2010 trip to Paris, during which time I intended to propose to my (then) girlfriend. The hotel was exactly what I had hoped. The area around the hotel was quiet and safe, with easy access to major destinations and to the Metro. The hotel was clean, well-maintained, and the staff were incredibly friendly. Our room was a very reasonable size, with a lovely bathroom. A basic continental breakfast was provided, though additional eggs, meats and cheeses could be purchased for a small fee. We had a wonderful stay, and I would not hesitate in returning to the Hotel de Varenne. Oh, and she said Yes!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MichelSha
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Perfect neighborhood. Near amazing restaurants: L'Arpege, Auguste, Sac a Dos, etc.. close walking to Musees Rodin, D'Orsay, L'Orangerie, Invalides, etc... close to Champs D'Elysees, etc..Also close to St. German, Bon Marche.

small, but French. Nice bathrooms. all in all a great value/gem of a hotel.

2 Thank Paulytrip
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Hotel de Varenne and regreted not to stay longer.
We paid only 159 € for a nice double room with bath on the garden side, which seems to be really reasonable for Paris.
The comfort was perfect : nice decoration, freshly renovated room, excellent bed, very cleaned bathroom.
The location is excellent and we enjoyed very much the atmosphere of Rue de Bourgogne. Nice little shops and very good restaurants. We had dinner at Auguste, the food is excellent and the service efficient.
This hotel is a very good choice for a short break in Paris.

7 Thank philip b
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I spent one night at Hotel de Varenne in Paris and I just loved the great location. It is just 20 mins walking distance from major city attraccion.

I also appreciated the free and high speed internet connection which is always a plus to me.

I did not have a chance to try the breakfast since I found the reservation price already "good enough" for my taste and I wanted to explore some caffeterias anyway and taste some genuine french croissants.

The room was clean even though a bit too small (someone may say cozy but really would be a nice way to put it).

The most disappointing finding was the mattress that seemed to me ready to be changed for a new one. Eventually I had a not soo good night sleep and that as you may imagine did not help much during the day.

About price and value I had a previous experience in Paris and I was also warned about the average hotel quality there but I still believe that basic stuff like a good and comfortable bed is a fundamental right for an hotel's customer.

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank AntonioNegro
varenne75, Propriétaire at Hotel de Varenne, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you spent to post a review about our hotel.

I would like to give you a few explanations concerning your experience during the stay with us.

You say the hotel is "pricy". You paid 139 Euro for a nice double room with shower on the garden side. Considering the level of comfort and service we offer I don't think this is overpriced. The majority of our guests report that this is a very good value.

I completely agree with you when you say that having a "comfortable bed is a fundamental right for an hotel's customer". This is the reason why we take great care about bedding. The beds don't need to be changed soon as we bought brand new ones for each room last year. We decided to choose the highest quality of TRECA : Royal Air Spring 22 cm. Please be informed that this is the kind of bedding you can find in famous hotels such as Le Bristol in Paris or Le Majestic in Cannes. I'm so sorry you didn't appreciate this kind of comfort.

Your opinion is most important for us. We constantly work to enhance the quality of our services and would like thank you for the positive comments concerning our hotel. But, respectfully, we had to correct your opinion concerning the poor quality of our bedding.

Best regards.

Jean-Marc POMMIER
Owner and Manager
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Very nice hotel. The rooms were bigger than I expected, although they are not large by American hotel standards. My room was on the second floor overlooking the courtyard. The hotel is in an excellent location, just minutes away from Invalidas (Napolean's tomb) and the Eiffel Tower. I didn't eat at the hotel because there is an excellent little bakery just a few minutes walk away at the beginning of Rue de Clare (a very charming street filled with sidewalk shops). You have to try their croissant amonde.There is also a Starbucks at the end of Rue de Clare :). Having free wifi at the hotel was also a big plus.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo