“Dirty and disgusting!!!”

Ranked #1,461 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Quebec
“Dirty and disgusting!!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The place might be dead cheap but it's dirty. Toilet seat was not "removable". That's ok for guys. Towels were gray and had holes. This place was so disgusting that I didn't dare to shower. Faucet in the room was barily splashing water.

Luckily, we didn't get stolen. Staff is present but don't seems to care who's coming and going. Anywhere else can only be better.

Don't say you were not told.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

The hotel is brilliantly located, a few metres from the Anvers Metro and immediately under Sacre Coeur in a busy tourist area. I had a great evening walking around and enjoying a beer. The check in was easy (I speak a little French) and I got a larger room than booked. It was clean and fresh. I didn't try the wifi but the concierge said it worked in the lobby. Shower and toilet (in passage) were clean and worked, bed was very comfortable, lights worked etc. My main drawback was noise, particularly the waterpipes and drains which woke me at 5:15 when the first shower started and eventually I got back to sleep, dreaming of being in a stream (an otter perhaps?) and other disturbed dreams. The price was very low and location were excellent and the hotel seemed well-run and basic but clean. I would return, maybe with earplugs.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to room 39, facing a very quiet small street.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank wideyed_wander
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Don't believe the photos. We had a double room out the back where the bath was immediately as you opened the door. There was no shower curtain and no door between the shower area and the bed so you had absolutely no privacy while showering - and if anyone opened the door, the first thing they saw was the shower.

The room had a shared toilet which I knew about beforehand and was fine with - but this shared toilet involved walking outside across the uncovered courtyard and fake astroturf, so it was cold and wet.

When we got there, the room stunk of urine and our first stop was to get incense and candes to mask it. The smell never went away. The room window backed out onto a dodgy alley, where I saw shady people going through bags they'd obviously just stolen.

You had to leave the room key at reception when you went out - I even saw the owner chase a couple down the street, screaming for the key - until they reminded him they'd already checked out.

There was constant construction going on next door so it was noisy as well. The biggest cause of irritating noise was a bell that I think was connected to a motion sensor at the front. It was CONSTANTLY going off and really grated on your nerves.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarah_p85

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

UK
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for one night at the end of a fabulous Paris holiday - we had to move from our hostel (which we loved) as it was fully booked on our final night and this was literally the only place left in Paris in our budget. We knew it was going to be nothing special when we booked and were kind of prepared for the worst, but to be honest, I was still a bit shocked on arrival.

Right from the outside you know this place is going to be grimy - the ripped awning opens the door to some shabby, steep stairs which leads you into the "lobby" (LOL) which is about the size of a shoebox, you then go up yet more steep stairs and down more windy tight corridors to your room which will inevitably be is equally as shabby. We got a room with a shower and sink but no toilet, I am glad we had our own shower as the public one looked pretty horrid.

However, if you are there for one night and can cope with shabby, then you will be ok, just be prepared for the following:

No plug sockets in your room! Anywhere!
Peeling wall paper
Serious lack of room - anywhere! Caulstraphic to the max!
Holey curtains
Hike in the morning to find the loo - which when you get there is, as you guessed it, grime central!
Random noises coming from pipes throughout the night and throughout the morning!
Shower that lurches from cold to scolding in a matter of milliseconds! Ouch!

I was cross as we had been living the dream in our bargainous hostel which was clean and tidy and offered a gorgeous free breakfast, as many plug sockets as we needed and a TV! When we got to Montpellier, we just couldn't believe it! We were paying more than 10 euros more per night here (each) and for what? Nada!

A couple of plus points are: location, you are seconds away from gorgeous Montmartre (just got to get through all the grime and street sellers first), you are close to a metro station (for quick escapes!) and the owners speak english and are smiley.

For one night, and for a place to literally dump heavy bags and get your head down then it is ok (ONLY ok) but for any longer than that, forget it. You just wouldn't want to stay there. There is holidaying on a budget and then there's this.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wannabe_cowgirl
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Ignore the absolutely pretentious bad reviews from people clearly expecting the Ritz. My girlfriend and I stayed for eight nights over new year. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful all the time, spoke great English, always had a smile on their face and our room was cleaned to perfection every day. It is a cute little European hotel for the people who want to just use it as a base. I prefer these sorts of hotels to the typical multinationals. They have a far more relaxed and continental atmosphere. The location is perfect; directly opposite the Anvers Metro stop, and right on the doorstep of Sacre Coeur. Whenever we're back in Paris, we shall be staying here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Presidentjamie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2010

By the time you have reached the shabby lobby you have passed the dirty tattered awning , the pink faded photographs, the peeling wallpaper and the grimy carpet on the staircase and you know you have come to the wrong place. The lobby is tiny, much smaller than in the photographs. I had the impression it was 1m by 2m maximum. The lobby and the corridors are dark and claustrophobic and sad looking. So much so I found it difficult to relax. The most shocking thing was the wavy lino in my room. I didn't know such hotels existed in Paris! You are under the impression that no one cares. The sheets looked clean enough, but the lino put me off actually venturing between them. At EUR44.00 I would definitely look for a hostel next time. Hotel Montpellier was a terribly unwelcoming experience. My Paris weekend got much better the moment I left it.
PS: There is a curfew at 1am and you have to hand in your key each time you go out.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank PlutonianTraveller
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2010

This was a very cheap place right at the foot of the Sacre Coeur and across from the Anvers metro station . The room was cleaned daily. Though everything is a little dated, it was still clean. I didn't really like having the Key drop thing, but oh well, the staff was very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo