“Excellent hotel, great location, friendly staff”

Hotel Terminus Lyon
Ranked #530 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Zurich
“Excellent hotel, great location, friendly staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We took the train from Switzerland so arrived in Paris at the Gare de Lyon. This hotel is a one minute walk away from the station, so perfectly located for anyone arriving by train from anywhere to the East of Paris.

The staff were multi-lingual and very helpful. The rooms were maybe a tad small, but the bathroom was very large and bright. The furniture and bedding was new, so it was a very comfortable stay. Due to the size of the rooms, I wouldn't necessarily recommend staying for a week or more (although you definitely could), but this is really a perfect hotel for a few nights in Paris, with plenty of transport (RER and Metro very close) and a direct bus to the Eiffel tower nearby.

We didn't eat in the hotel, so cannot comment on the food, but I would guess it would have been very nice!

We also didn't use any fitness facilities.

Room Tip: Higher is better, nice views of the local architecture with very nice balconies on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank StirB
Nelly R, Responsable réception at Hotel Terminus Lyon, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Bonjour from Paris,

Thank you very much for your recommandation on Tripavisor.
We are pleased to know that you have had a lovely stay at hotel Terminus Lyon.
It's very important for us to have all our guests satisfied.
Breakfast with more choices is expected soon.
We really hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards
The reception desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Excellent value for money for an offer found on the web site of the hotel (single room with bath € 150 for 3 nights, in the week before Christmas!). Room only, breakfast is too expensive (€11). Room and bathroom small but comfortable, with a fridge and self-heating. Still good for Paris standards. Clean and quiet. What I do not like floor carpet, although cleaned daily. A good-sized elevator to reach the third floor, where my room was located. The area is well connected and quiet. There are bars and supermarkets. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Look for offers
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nonsoloedonista
New York City
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Terminus Lyon. What stands out the most is the wonderfully warm and friendly staff. There was not one person I encountered during my 7 night stay who was not super nice and willing to help out with just about anything. The entire front desk staff also speaks excellent English and is more than eager to assist the guests in any way possible. For instance, upon arrival, I wasn't overly thrilled with the room I was assigned. I went down to the front desk and the staffer on duty went to great pains to find me a room she thought would be suitable. She then physically went up to the new room to see about the housekeeping situation, and then came back to escort me to the room to make sure I approved. I've rarely experienced such kindness and caring at a hotel. Additionally, all l week I was having problems retrieving the messages from my home phone, using my cell phone. Toward the end of my stay, I went to the front desk to ask about a place that would accept my calling card (the room phone would not without incurring high extra charges) and the person at the front desk told me to just use the front desk phone to place my call. Again, a staffer going beyond the call of duty and being extra caring.

The hotel charged a relatively decent rate, for Paris; was super clean; has very comfortable beds; fabulous location across the street from Gare de Lyon and the Air France Airport bus; is convenient to the Metro and many bus routes; and has a good, free wifi connection. The breakfast is basic and tasty but I think it's overpriced at 11€.

The rooms are Parisian tiny--I stayed in one of their Double Club rooms, as a single, and the space was fine, but I can't imagine two people squeezing into that room for more than one or two nights. The walls are paper thin and I could hear every sound in my neighbors' rooms. This did cause me to lose sleep during several nights. One other thing--the hotel really needs to lose the individual sheets of toilet tissue and use rolls. Certainly not a deal breaker--I simple went around the corner to the Monop market, bought myself a few rolls, and was happy as a clam.

All in all, a wonderful stay in a magnificent city.

Room Tip: I recommend a room in the front of the hotel. Street noise was not an issue and the nighttime view o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nycbee
Nelly R, Propriétaire at Hotel Terminus Lyon, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Bonjour de Paris,

Thank you very much for your nice comment !

Service is our first goal and we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed it.
We hope to welcome you another time at the Hotel Terminus Gare de Lyon.

Best regards and see you soon !
Dartmouth
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

My girlfiend and I stayed here on our romantic Paris getaway in late May, 2010. The hotel was very clean, comfortable and conveniently located. Not teribly fancy, but the price was right and the staff was a real standout. I would definitely return.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Peter S
Bonjour Peter !

Thank you very much for your nice comment.

I hope you had a nice trip back in USA ! It was a pleasure to welcome you and your girlfriend.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you wish to come back !

See you very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We missed a train to Venice so we simply walked ove the road from the train station and booekd in to this hotel - we were able to check in at 10am which was great. The staff were brilliant - the room a good size for Paris - our room overlooked the Gare De Lyon and i took one of the best photos of my trip from this window.......Location is pretty good - although it was noisy but excellent position if you need to be close the train station....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bonjour de Paris,

Thank you for taking the time to live your opinion about the Hotel Terminus Gare de Lyon.

Miss the train is one of the things of life ! But this adventure made us meet !
Finally we hope you had a nice stay in Venice.

All the best and see you soon !
Perth
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We chose this hotel as it was close to the train station as we had travelled by train and were departing the next day. The staff were very helpful and fluent in English. Bathroom was extremely clean. Breakfast adequate. Bed was small.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WheatbeltWanderer
Washington DC
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Terminus Lyon is a classic railway 3-star hotel, friendly, clean, convenient and relatively well-priced. Our room was well-sized for two, with a queen platform bed set up with a white comforter/duvet, a mini-bar you actually put stuff in, a wardrobe, a wall-mounted TV with CNN, a hair dryer installed in the spectacularly clean (new?) toilet/shower, and free wi-fi. There are steps to get in the hotel and to the (very welcome) elevator, but there are helping hands around. The window of Room 14 opened up directly across from the busy, enchanting square in front of the Gare de Lyon, where you can arrive direct from Charles de Gaulle airport via RER.
The streets are lined with cafes and bistros, you can easily walk to locations on either the right or left bank, the staff were all anxious to please and there was always an English speaker around.

Room Tip: For a vistor to Paris, a view of the station would be a treat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple