“Great staff and suprisingly convenient.”
Review of Hotel Rocroy

Hotel Rocroy
Ranked #637 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Huntsville, Texas
“Great staff and suprisingly convenient.”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Hands down the best thing about this hotel was the staff. Audrey and Luc went out of their way to make sure our trip was successful. When my friends chose this hotel for our week in Paris I was less than thrilled as the 10th arrondisment and the area around Gare du Nord do not have the best of reputations. I was suprisingly pleased with the hotel. For the price (in Paris) the room and bathroom were a good size. The 7 Metro line (access at Poissonerie) will take you directly to the Louvre ( the D'Orsay and Notre Dame are not far from the stop at the Louvre) or the Opera areas. Not associated with the hotel but just around the corner, the Italian restaurant Michelangelo was wonderful. For those days when you have walked 15 miles looking at art and shopping till all you want to do is drop - stop here on your way home for a cheap and good italian dinner. The gnochi in gorgonzola sauce is perfect! The hotel is not on a main street so it was quiet at night. Breakfast is French/German - pastries, bread, cheese, meats, yogurt, fruit, creal - not American or English - don't look for eggs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I ended up at Hotel Rocroy, sight-unseen, when my original hotel reservation fell through on the very first evening of my stay. The lobby was simple but clean and well-appointed (except for the giant AC unit under a tarp - they were doing some AC work, according to a couple flyers posted in public areas). The gentleman behind the desk was maybe a bit curt but always helpful. The (very narrow) hallway lights leading to the rooms were mostly dark, maybe either on a malfunctioning movement sensor or just plain out, which was somewhat disconcerting as I arrived at night and anyway, it's a completely interior hallway with no windows or skylights or other means of natural lighting. I'm a big boy and not afraid of the dark, but I could imagine this being a scary place for children and the faint of heart.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover a small but clean room #503, decorated in dark rust brown carpet and red drapery. The window looked out to neighboring apartments and little else. The bathroom towel rack was poorly installed, fell apart and dropped towels to the floor. There was a mysterious wet spot on the carpet near the door, which I attributed to being a bit of spilled carpet cleaner. The bedsheets seemed a bit damp, which I attributed to the outside air.

A fair bit of daytime noise (jackhammers, emergency vehicles, a lot of hallway noise) means sleeping in is probably not an option in this hotel. All this I was 'ok' with...

But it was on my second night (of a two night stay) that I discovered... Them. While getting ready for sleep I noticed an insect crawling on the bed. When I smashed it, a sizable amount of blood burst all over the white linens, which clued me in that this was no ordinary bug. (Since the AC was off, the windows were open a crack to let air in, and the windows didn't have screens, so I thought the bug could've been something harmless like a moth or a small beetle. But no such luck.) A sweep around the room led to discovering a dozen or so adult bedbugs, mostly clinging to the outside of the red blackout curtains (see attached image). At that point I didn't have the heart to closely examine the mattress, carpet or other furniture. Despite the late hour I gathered up my belongings and left the room, sans sleep. My belongings are currently either in the trash or on plastic bag quarantine.

Caveat emptor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lagaresu

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2011

The hotel was basic and as usual with Parisien hotels has clearly given itself 3 stars. My room key wouldn't work so the arrogant and unhelpful woman on the desk insisted that I ask her every time I wanted to get into the room. After a row she agreed to move me but it was as if I was being totally unreasonable. Carpets were dirty and the small room stank of drains and was very noisy. Don't bother staying here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Mattytheshark
Isthmia, Greece
Reviewed April 4, 2011

The hotel is in the north east part of paris near to gare du nord so it is easy to find.The street is quiet in the evenings.The building is old but the decoration is modern.The bathroom was clean but it smells like a different kind of cleaning chemical or it is because the airconditioning was poor.The bed was comfortable and clean but there were two single beds together and it was sometimes uncomfortable that while sleeping they were seperating.There was no refrig.in the room.And if you are allergic the dust on the carpet can make you uncomfortable. There is computer in the reception.The breakfast is good but the staff in the restaurant should show a little bit of hospitality.There can also be a vending machine in the hotel.There are two grocery shops very near (spar and monop).Very near to metro station (poissoniere)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Brussels
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We stayed 2 night at Rocroy. The location was fine (as accdepted, not really central, but good enough neighbourhood to walk to center withouth any problem). The hotel is indeed renovated and clean. The room and bathroom were small, but just as expected for Paris 3 star. Reception was fine. Breakfast basic selection, but fine.

What compeletly ruined the impression: Sunday morning at 7.30 AM the cleaning staff started to clean the rooms on our floor (4th). As the cleaning caddies do not enter the rooms, they leave them on the corridor and walk in and out of the rooms for provisions. The issue is that every time, they clap the door really loud. We had the impression that cannons are shooting every 2 minutes for an hour. This is a basic no go.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Northants
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stayed at the Rocroy for just one night, having booked just a couple of days in advance. I still think Paris hotel prices are outrageous, but price aside the Rocroy is a real find.
Room - larger than at 9 hotel, ten minutes away. With wardrobe and desk.
Bathroom - good size by Paris standards and perfectly clean.
I didn't use the hotel bar, nor the breakfast room.
The staff were super helpful and I am ashamed to say I did not ask the names of either of the young men on reception during my stay, although they were both supremely helpful when I was having trouble getting my Eurostar ticket printed out. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
The WiFi in the hotel was free and was of a good speed, but it had an utterly stupid sign in system that meant I had to sign in every time I started a new session on my computer. Totally pointless and super frustrating.
Other than that, what can I tell you?
The air conditioning worked well, the windows opened onto rue Rocroy, a quiet street and although my sleep was not disturbed, the walls are thin, so I might have disturbed others...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Rocroy for a few nights to adjust from jetlag after flying for days. The hotel is near a central train station, Nord. As with all major train stations, the immediate area surrounding the station is seedy and dodgy at best. This hotel was good for our needs as we got a TGV fast train to the south of France, but as a base for exploring the city and for a general holiday I would not stay again (a location closer to the river would be better suited). The hotel itself is fine, just in an average neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple