“A super-nice hotel in a great location”
Review of Hotel Cluny Square

Hotel Cluny Square
Ranked #355 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hotel Cluny Square was a pleasant surprise for us. A hotel, down-town Paris (in Saint Michel, less than a 5 minutes walk away from the Notre Dame), € 99,- per night with breakfast included; normally we wouldn't get our hopes up too much. But the hotel was great. The rooms are not very big (but what do you expect in that location), but they were very nicely decorated, clean and fully equiped. The staff was very nice and they speak great English. We were on the fifth floow, which was extra noce, because we had a big balcony.

From this hotel, you can easily walk to some of Paris' hotspots. Notre Dame is at 5 minutes, the Louvre at 15 minutes and Quartier Latin at 20 minutes. In the direct neighbourhood, there are plenty of nice restaurants and bars.

The most pleasant surprise was breakfast. Included with the room rate, you get a big French breakfast with croissants, baguets, fresh orange juice, coffee and tea.

If you want to visit Paris, this is absolutely a place to go.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel, not via booking.com. The room rates are the same, but you get breakfas...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ruud1981

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I chose the hotel having stayed there four years ago prior to the new owners taking over. What a wonderful surprise - the room was very generous, beautifully decorated, and so very quiet despite the fantastic central location. The staff were all very warm and so accommodating and make the stay so very enjoyable. I felt I had a real home base for my time in Paris and would highly recommend the hotel to visitors to Paris. It is within an easy walk to all the sights and so very close to the train stations and I felt very safe at all times. I'd recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Judith N
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is located close to the most lively areas of Paris .
A lot of bistros and restaurants are gathered around .
Notre dame , Louvre , are only a few minutes walking distance .
Paris is an amazing city which surely i will visit again .

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room .
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zoumis N
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Cluny Square hotel couldn't be better located in Paris, in the corner of boulevard Saint Michel and boulevard Saint germain, just a few blocks away from Notre Dame. Rooms are nice, well decorated and quiet, and they all have nice view which is a rare thing in an old building. It's quite expensive, but all nice hotels are expensive in Paris. Breakfast is good, the average for a three stars hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. An excellent option.

Room Tip: As I said, they all face a street is I don't think anyone would be better than other. I was loca...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the train stations. RER B (train from Charles de Gaulle Airport) is literally next to the hotel – on St. Germain and St. Michel. RER C and Metro are at the opposite end of the street, St. Michel, like you’re headed towards Ile de la Cite, and on the same side of the hotel. The Cluny Museum (Musee National du Moyen Age) is across the street on St. Germain. The Pantheon, Sorbonne University, Luxembourg Gardens, etc. are also within walking distance. The Notre Dame Cathedral, Saint Chappelle, the Conciergerie, etc. are a few steps away, across the bridge. There are so many restaurants to choose from surrounding the hotel, and there’s a café across the street on St. Michel which we notice opens really early for breakfast, although we didn’t go there. There is also a small grocery at the back of the hotel on Rue de la Harpe, next to McDonald’s.
We booked two rooms for my family and they are both nicely decorated. We didn’t have a problem with the size of the room since our purpose was to do sightseeing all day/evening. The staff cleaned our rooms daily. We love that the bathrooms have towel warmers, which came in handy for drying little things. Our bathrooms only have the shower, which is a decent size. Our queen beds are comfortable. We slept well each night and didn’t hear any noise from the streets. We didn’t need to use the room heater because the hotel has a good heating system, which seemed to have kept our room warm enough. Our rooms [one is facing Rue de la Harpe (quiet side street) and the other is facing St. Germain] are on the 5th floor and have balconies, which we didn’t get to use because it was ~38-40°F and drizzly when we were there. There’s free wifi in the rooms and lobby, and there’s also a computer in the lounge/dining area for anyone to use.
Breakfast (croissants, French bread, fig/apricot/strawberry jam, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, butter, boil-your-own-eggs (using the hotel’s egg boiler), yogurt, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit salad) was part of the package, and we thought the French bread was really good.
The staff is friendly and everyone speaks English. The night shift gentleman helped us with our luggage after checking out in the morning. Although we didn’t get an extra hand from staff when we first arrived to check in, we probably would have gotten help if we had asked for it. The stairs to the lobby, which is on the second floor, are not that narrow as someone else mentioned here – definitely only one person can fit if carrying luggage as well.
Overall, we loved our stay here and we would definitely choose Cluny Square Hotel again if we go back to Paris.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Lhouse
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Just as we topped the stairs at the Cluny Metro stop, it began to rain. I hoped to catch sight of the entrance to Hotel Cluny Square very quickly, as Bob and I were getting very wet. And there it was, on the northeast corner of one of the largest intersections in Paris--- St. Germaine/St. Michel. The hotel’s glass doors swung open to a hallway of mirrors leading to a lovely but narrow spiral staircase. No lift at ground zero. So we lugged our two some 50 lb. suitcases up the stairs one jarring bump at a time. When we reached reception and the two well-appointed but rather small breakfast and lounge rooms one story up, we were a little dismayed by how packed they were, mostly with folks eating breakfast before departing. It was the last Sunday in October, after all. Huge suitcases like ours were everywhere. We parked ours the best we could. Now, I want to tell you that this story gets better. We actually loved staying at the Cluny Square and recommend it on many counts, including location and value. So let me continue.
I trotted out my best French to note our reservations for three nights to the reception clerk. He verified the reservations. I asked if we could access the room early. He gave this not one consideration. He simply pointed to the official check-in time of 2 p.m. and turned away. That stood in stark contrast to another hotel of similar size (some 35 rooms) where we’d stayed in the 17th, There we were ushered into our rooms by 11, with bellies filled by a very nice breakfast buffet. This time, we had to leave our luggage in the open. No choice. And weren’t interested in breakfast. Yet, the Cluny Museum loomed large right across the street and is open on Sundays, so off we went.
Location, location, location. Yes, Hotel Cluny Square has that in spades. We could walk in any direction and be somewhere fun and fascinating within minutes. Just look at a map of the 5th and 6th. We were precisely on the boundary of those two wonderful arrondissements and within a 5-7 minute walk of the river and Notre Dame . After a satisfying visit to the Cluny (although, alas, the Lady and the Unicorn tapestry was in Japan at the time), we grabbed a nice sandwich and tea at a Paul’s across the street and returned to the hotel. A sofa was finally vacant, so we sat, and I napped against Bob’s shoulder.
Within an hour, I think it was noon, the clerk who had been so abrupt before gently tapped me on the shoulder and gave me the key to 502. Yes, there was a lift to get us there, a roomy, relatively new, and very fast one. When we opened the door to our room, I was thrilled. We’d booked on line to get a deal ($235 U.S. or so per night, including all taxes), so I had been concerned about where this three-star hotel would put us. But our room was, as I had requested, on a high floor (next to the top), filled with Western light, and felt roomy, for Paris. I danced around, opening all three French doors to the balcony overlooking Blvd. St. Michel. We could almost reach out and touch the tops of the plane trees whose leafy coverage would protect us from street noise. And the view? Well, good enough: the spire of St. Chappelle to the right and an attractive string of Belle Epoque apartment buildings and hotels to the left. The all tile bathroom had a decent shower with plenty of hot water and, bonus, a magnifying mirror. The bed was large, for Paris, very comfortable and warm, and the reading lamps worked. Wi-fi for free? Yes. During the rest of our stay, the concierge staff did their best to answer my questions, IF I spoke French. They all spoke English, to some degree, but I quickly understood that they found my French charming (and amusing, in the kindest way). We came to like each other very much.
I started my mornings early, with walks. First stop was the reception desk for a very good 2 euro espresso, even at 6:30. A breakfast buffet was available and looked and smelled good, but we preferred take-out café au lait, freshly pressed orange juice, and fresh croissants, which I brought back to the room every day. Just the pleasure of walking the boulevards and ancient narrow streets of the 5th and 6th before Paris was fully awake was a delight, particularly given our location. One day, I walked to the Luxembourg Gardens. Another, to the Sorbonne. Another just short of the Gardens to L’Opera, to take a look at a restaurant on that square the concierge had recommended for our last night in the city of light. Elegantly appointed La Mediterranee turned out to be a very pleasant experience, all told. Great seafood at very reasonable prices. Thanks to the hotel, we were given a very nice table looking out over L’Opera itself and an English-speaking waiter who was more than generous with her time and food and wine recommendations.
We highly recommend that you look into staying at the Hotel Cluny Square.

Room Tip: Ask, and thou shall receive.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kitkat0531
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and we were very happy with the service, standard of accommodation and location. We were within walking distance of many of the attractions and there were plenty of places near by by eating and drinking. The room was very nice, well presented and clean. We couldn't have asked for a nicer visit to Paris. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel in a central location. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple