“Lovely hotel”

Le 55 Montparnasse Hotel
Ranked #783 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I came to hotel during first trip to Europe with my mother and my sister in July 2013 after reading the reviews here on TripAdvisor and was fairly pleased.

This is a small hotel but for the deal that I obtained on their actual website, it was a steal. I wanted to make sure that we all had our own bed to sleep on and le 55 Montparnasse delivered. The rooms are small yet clean. There was no AC located in our room but the staff assisted us in providing an extra fan. My mom did have a problem when she found out there was not air conditioning in the room but I continuously had to remind her that we are not in America. We also were able to take advantage of the breakfast buffet due to it being included in the deal we obtained on their direct website so had a variety of options to start our day.

The staff did what they could in order to help us become better accommodated at the hotel. They helped us find a good currency exchange location in which we could obtain a great rate of exchange from dollars to euros. They all spoke English well so we were communicate effectively and they did what they could in order to make our stay in Paris enjoyable.

One downside of staying at the hotel when we did was there was construction going on next door so some days during our week stay, we woke up to jackhammers at six o'clock in the morning (not fun). It was difficult to find this hotel if you do not know where to look for the street was closed off due to construction and the sign of the hotel was high up on the side of the building. We had to circle around the block a few times before we found were the hotel was located.

As far as the sites, we either took the taxi, walked or took the bus to and from the major sites. There were plenty of restaurants and bakeries close by along with breakfast and meat options. There were a couple of malls, retail and grocery stores within walking distance so my sister and I went there to do some shopping and pick up some items. We also did walk to and from the Eiffel Tower which took about us about 30-40 minutes from the hotel but were able to take in and appreciate the city.

If you want a hotel that is not located within the touristy areas of Paris, I would recommend this hotel. I would stay at this hotel again. Thank you le 55 Montparnasse for making our stay stress-free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Le 55 Montparnasse Hotel

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Hi i was in room no-404 from 01-03dec-for 02nts
Hotel is descent 3 star_ with lovely reception guy_A black Guy who is very Warm & friendly
Room is small but nice-Hotel is 10 seconds walk from Pernety station-staff is very friendy-Reception Guys are with full Knowledge & helpfull-Hotel owned By Indian Gentleman-Descent hotel at a little expensive Price in Residential area_Outside the hotel is Fruit shop where u can get water & coke--Good 3* & cozy hotel for Couples
More than 2 people cannot fit in the room_-Extra bed cannot be acomodated in the room

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the Le 55 Montparnasse Hotel for three weeks in October 2013. I liked the hotel itself very much. I had one of the best double rooms -- Room 204 -- which was fairly spacious and comfortable. I found the Reception staff to be generally very friendly and they speak English fairly well (much better than I can speak French)! The buffet which is often disparaged in reviews I found to be worth the 10 euros charged -- I loaded up on the food available and could skip lunch. The hotel is about 30 seconds from the Pernety metro stop (Line 13) and even has an exit with an escalator to the street which is somewhat rare in the Paris metro system. The nicest restaurant I found in the area was a La Tentation (title approximate, sorry) on Rue Chateau, north off of Blvd. Raymond Losserand. Also, a good restaurant is Bistrotters, on Rue Decres, south off Blvd. Raymond Losserand, but good luck trying to get a reservation there for dinner.There is also Cafe Au Metro -- across from the Pernety metro stop -- not special but good in a pinch for eating. Drawbacks: No safes in the rooms. And it is rather noisy at night on all three sides which the hotel faces -- I was across from an apartment building and some nights students living there partied and also some people cut through the passageway there after coming out of the bars in the area late at night.Also, the walls in between the rooms are very thin but the hotel while I was there began renovations to remedy this because so many guests have complained about overhearing people in other rooms. But if you are not a light sleeper, then this is a well-situated budget hotel which I recommend highly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are somewhat quieter than the rooms on the north and west side which face on...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Margaret K
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Good location, right round corner from Metro station. A short walk away from nice restaurants and some shops. Though if I were to stay again i'd like to be more central.
The staff were varied, cleaners friendly, lady at reception friendly and helpful, man at reception was a right grump and hard to converse with and not at all helpful. Night staff were fine.
Room we had was slightly small, but that suited us fine. It was a bit noisy at times, as there was building work going on, but was clean. We stayed on the 3rd floor, so lots of stairs.
We didn't eat breakfast here, we went out for it locally.

Room Tip: Stay on 3rd floor at back
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emluca123
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Again one of these hotels with narrow staircases and corridors, bathrooms that are too small to take in more than one person at a time and these grey-blue-black coloured carpets, the style they use in public transport to make the stains less visible. Plus, here as a special feature, a solid plastic protective cover for the mattress right under your sheets, which gives the whole thing a slight hospital touch.
All this for a hefty 180 euro.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank xandiK
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great location close to Metro, off a quiet side street. Good base for exploring the city on foot, too. Much larger room than you'd expect from Pairs - and modern. They also posted a dress back to UK that I'd left hanging in the wardrobe - magnifique stuff all round!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
le55montparnasse, Responsable hebergement at Le 55 Montparnasse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to post this kind and much detailed review.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed so much your stay. Indeed, the rooms and the neighborhood are very much appreciated by our guests.
Our location allows discovering this beautiful city in the best way.Outside the door is the genuine Paris : shops, cafés and restaurants. Our district is part of this city’s life.
Looking forward to welcome you very soon at the 55 hotel Montparnasse .
Nadia / Direction

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We read dozens of reviews before deciding to stay at this small, very quaint hotel in the very safe Montparnesse region.

Once I left my American silliness aside, this was an amazing and charming hotel. This is NOT a Marriott or Holiday Inn Express, so if you're expecting that, you'll be sadly disappointed.

The staff wants to help and is friendly and considerate. If you expect them to be flawless in their English and not hope or prefer at least something from you in the way of French (by the way, you're in FRANCE!! Helloo??), you will probably be irritated. All we did was try to speak French and all the staff was grateful and more than willing to try their hardest to speak English.

The room was much smaller than an American hotel room for the equivalent price, but it was clean, it was safe and it was within walking distance (safe, btw) of wine shops, cheese, bakery, and fruit shops, as well as several small shops of various goods.

The hotel is less than 100 yards from the Metro, you're within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Siene River, the breakfast buffet (read: all you can eat) was very good, including cheeses, breads, coffee, chocolate, yogurts and fruits, and the staff sincerely wants you to have a wonderful stay.

So, learn three or four basic french sentences, including 'hello' and 'thank you' and this hotel will be one that you'll return to again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family