“friendly staff in a bad hotel”

Best Western Aurore
Ranked #1,276 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Munich, Germany
“friendly staff in a bad hotel”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had been looking for a reasonably priced hotel with the following conditions: cleanliness, early breakfast (to come in time to my meetings) and WLAN. Indeed, the price of the hotel was ok (for Paris), it was on the first view clean, A hot breakfast was offered according to Internet and to the hotel brochure at 6:00 am, and gratis WLAN was also offered according to Internet and to the hotel brochure.
My first bad experience in the hotel was that I had to give my key card to the reception everytime I left the hotel. This is inacceptable due to security reasons, since everyone could just say the room number and got the key card. Neither the name nor an identity card was normally asked for (with exceptions).
On Sunday morning I was late for breakfast, i.e. at 7 am, however, breakfast buffet was not ready yet since the responsible person had not shown up (as I was told). However, the friendly staff looked for the missing parts of the buffet I asked for. On the other days, the breakfast was there in time, however, there was no "hot" breakfast. I was later told at the reception that scrambled eggs and sausages were served not before 7:30 am - this was not mentioned in the hotel information and I had to pay the full price for breakfast.
One day, I got only one towel - and this one was dirty. After my complaints I got immediately some clean towels.
WLAN worked one day. After that, only the radio part worked, but there was no Internet behind. The friendly staff tried to get it repaired, however, it worked only some hours (when I was not in the hotel). I could prove that it was not my computer that caused the problem.
Although the staff was always friendly and helpful and the location close to gare de Lyon was good enough, I will never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael_World_Travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Manchester
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Some reviews have put this hotel down but overall it's not bad at all. The negatives first: If you walk in off the street the rack rate is a staggering EUR220 a night so book in advance through Best Western and halve that price. The breakfast (EUR12 extra) is quite good but overpriced, EUR8 would be nearer the mark. The decor in my room was a bit tatty, a strange colour, and it could have done with a lick of paint and some new wallpaper. (No problem with cleanliness). Then there's a Big Brother style warning on the wall that the room is 'inventoried' every day and if anything is found missing your wallet will be EUR50 lighter. A little short on storage space and should feature a trouser press for business visitors. But that's it. The positives: I'd been booked by accident into a smoker and was shifted into a non-smoker that had a bed sufficiently comfortable that I didn't want to get out in the mornings. I didn't have many neighbours but noise disruption was minimal, also from the street outside, which is strange considering the proximity to the station. TV (but hardly any international channels) and air conditioning. Wi-fi available and a little business area near the lobby. The best aspect of the hotel is the staff. Unlike cae87 all six of the reception staff I talked to were friendly and helpful, and all spoke good English. I can speak French but didn't have to use it. Locality is very good for transport (Metro, RER, bus SNCF/TGV) and if your visit is for tourism purposes some sites are within walking distance. Overall, 4 out of 5 is about right. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Man1nManchester
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed last night 5 Nov. Chosen simply because of location to Gare de Lyon (couple of minutes and easy to find). Price is as expected but room was tiny and the window wouldn't close, oh and the walls are paper thin as some North American fellow guests decided to have a row and we had to hear it all. Those niggles aside, it's OK. Staff were polite, helpful but I wouldn't say friendly. Due to location I wouldn't rule out staying again.

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had to stay in a place close to Gare de Lyon as I was taking a train the next day. This seemed like one of the best options. I got there late at night and the front desk clerk was very helpful, everything was great and he even directed me to close places to eat as it was late and I was not sure everything was open.

But, next morning as check out was at 11, I just asked the front desk clerk, which in this case was a lady, if I could drop my bags later as my train departed late. She was very unpolite and rude, and I even asked in French, I was just asking and then she repeated me the check-out time, which I already new. So I left early into the city and came back to take a shower in my room before turning it back in. I went down 11 sharp to drop my bags, and she seemed like she was doing a big effort to save them for me.
I am glad that by 3 pm that I came back she was not there and it was a different clerk which was more polite and attentive.
If it was not for that incident I would have had a perfect stay.

Room was good, it had air conditioning, which is difficult to find in France in general I would say, bathroom was nice and clean, could be more spacious though. Room is small, but I guess is because it is located in and old building so it is difficult to adapt the rooms. It is a good hotel in order to spend the night, shower and relax for a little bit before adventuring again into the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Boston
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We went to this hotel as it was near both Gare de Lyon and Gare de Bercy that we would use on our trip.
Small tucked away on a side street 2 blocks from teh Gare de Lyon. Clean, comfortable beds and pillows with individual room A/C.
Staff was very helpful and spoke English well.
Rooms can be funky colored, one couple kept getting the "orange" room (literally the walls were a pale orange color!), other rooms were more traditional greens and whites/blues. Rooms were relatively quiet.
A 15 minute walk from the Notre Dame area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sharjah
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The good points are the location , very convinient for train users..
The rooms are very tiny, though clean .. Good bed, nice air conditioning..
Reception staff , three of them were excellent and very helpful.. Except for one Mr Mohammed who was impolite,arrogant and very unhelpful..
He was always on personal calla on his mobile while we waited at the reception for more than 10 min.. He acted Bossy, and along with the small rooms are the reasons I will nor recommend this hotel..

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank ShiyasKoya
Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Great location even if you are not taking the train @ Gare de Lyon. Stayed the week before Easter this year. Close to the Bastille market on Sunday. Plenty of restaurants and cafes.
Via Duct shops are great. Definitely eat at Le Train Bleu in the station. Everyone was friendly and helpful. WiFi available in room. Small but clean.

Room Tip: Love the shutters that you can close to keep out light and noise. Great location. Bastille Market...