“Les Pain des Amis”

Ranked #1 of 271 Bakeries in Paris
Neighborhood: Canal Saint-Martin
Neighborhood: Canal Saint-Martin
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This bread is simply the best. it is a sourdough from a starter that has a nutty and smokey taste. The boulangerie won the award for best bread in 2008 and 2011. There is always a line outside the store. The croissants and other puff pastry derivatives are superb. The chausson de terre (apple puff) has to eaten fresh out of the oven. The brioche are the best. Visit the website and you will realize this bakery is a true artisan that cares about continuing the tradition of providing the best breads. It is probably the best boulangerie in Paris (better than Polliane).

2  Thank David C

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Certainly significantly better than the average boulangerie with great breads and pastries. Very friendly service. Be aware that its prices are almost double of an artisan boulanger. Would recommend comparing its products to the ones from "Aux Peches Normands" which is nearby not far from Place de la Republique. Please note they (and Aux Peches Normands) are closed on weekends which is very unusual for a boulangerie in France.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

OMG! This boulangerie is beyond! Not only is it gorgeous but the quality and taste of the breads and pastries are divine...I stay around the corner when I am in Paris and must go to pick up some of their amazing wares every time I am there. There is a quirky, adorable saleswoman who remembers me even though 6 months have past. They were out of baguettes but the artisanal charred bread, still warm was recommended....if you like crusty, crisp bread...you MUST try this..it is virtually all crust and on another realm...a religious experience. The pastries are not the usual cloying sweet confections but instead more savory like... The chocolate croissants are perfect..flaky, buttery and filled with dark choco, there are goats cheese, raisin, plum, olive and nut rolls and tarts..the baker is a man who left his engineering profession to follow his dream...INSPIRING!!! They are closed on the weekend. This place is worth the trip.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We saw this charming boulangerie featured on a TV programme and as we were headed to Paris for a weekend visit we were determined to seek it out.

This place is fantastic, from the moment you spy it across the street, its a proper old-fashioned artisan bakery, the exterior hasn't changed in years (exception being the awning blinds). A beautiful gilt and painted glass ceiling, gilt mirrors and the most amazing display of breads, filled savoury rolls, danish pastries (called 'escargot'). No sooner had we been captivated by the exterior our jaws dropped wide open when we saw the interior!

We picnicked on the wooden table outside, it was October - the sun was out and the temperature was nudging 23c. A perfectly authentic Parisienne experience.

When we return to Paris, and we certainly will, we will go again. This place is the antithesis of the 'designer' patisseries which we also love. Its simplicity and charm is its key. A beautiful bakery.

2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I found this little artisan boulangerie just around the corner from where I'm staying with my friend in Republique. I stopped in on my way for espresso near the canal and bought a few items for a small breakfast. As soon as I ate them I knew I would need to return. I got two 'mounas' which are brioche with savory/sweet fillings. One was prune/lardons and the other was bacon/fique. Fan. Tas. Tic. I also got five little squares of 'niflettes' - mille feuille pastry with a coin of orange-flavored pastry cream. I have saved my 'tendresse du pomme' for later, as well as the other two mounas I bought. Pretty much everything in this place looks fantastic. It's Friday and they are not open over the weekend and I leave on Monday --- I think I'm going to need to stock up.

BTW - there is no place to eat inside. There is a table outside, but don't plan on eating here. Take and enjoy in the environment of your choosing.