“THATd'Or Treasure Hunt at Musee d'Orsay”

THATLou, Treasure Hunt at the Louvre
Ranked #23 of 159 Fun & Games in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: THATLou runs themed Treasure Hunts at the Louvre (what it stands for) & is part of THATMuse (other museums: Musee d’Orsay, British Museum & the Streets of Paris, THATRue). Our themed hunts give you an overview, whilst keeping you focused & injecting fun in your museum visit. Both educational & adrenalin-pumping, our goal is to make you want to see more of the museum after the hunt. No knowledge of art prior is necessary
Paris
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“THATd'Or Treasure Hunt at Musee d'Orsay”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Having lived in Paris for 6 months, you would think that I must have already visited at least a few museums. Nope. So I’m just going to put it out there. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to art. For me, tackling museums in Paris is a “must-do” but feels more of a chore than fun.

Well last night, this perspective changed thanks to my participation in Treasure Hunt at Musee d’Orsay - THATd’Or. This had been a private event hosted by AFMO’s Avant Garde and organized by Daisy de Plume, the founder of Treasure Hunt at the Louvre, more familiarly known as THATLou.

The rule of the hunt was actually simple albeit challenging. We were put into teams of 3-4 then given a map of the museum and a questionnaire which had 24 treasures with images and blocks of text giving insights into the actual work of arts. The goal is to see as many of the 24 treasures and prove it by filling in the date the art was acquired or who donated it.

Daisy built last night’s hunt on Motion and Movement theme so I mustn’t forget to mention some “bonus points” involved shamelessly demanding strangers to take our pictures while posing to resemble pieces of dancing arts.

What made this especially fun was how you couldn’t help become instinctively competitive. There’s this urge of wanting to race the others however there were A LOT of strict rulings: no running was allowed and your team must remain together at all times and not be more than 3 meters apart, oof! It was hard. I was panting by the time we had to return to checkpoint because we had gone up and down the 5 levels of the museum. Yet I was itching to go back up and around a bit more because my team didn’t manage to find all the treasures and you know what? I was furiously curious.

The team with the most points won tickets to the upcoming Easter treasure hunt at the Louvre. Alas my team didn’t win but still, I was left yearning to revisit the museum, complete the questionnaire AND to take my time looking at everything else which caught my attention during the hunt.

So has this experience change my thoughts on museums? Yes! Did I have fun? Hells yes!

Not only did the hunt stimulate my artless soul, it also gave me more understanding of each treasure. It was also a great way to meet new people and realised I’m not the only clueless person in Paris.

I talked to Daisy during the post-hunt drinks and found her to be the most down-to-earth person you could ever imagine. Her humility was heart-warming and you couldn’t help but like her instantly. On top of that, she was extremely organised and I am grateful to be included in the program despite joining last minute.

Right now I’m busy stalking Daisy’s blog because I’m totally keen on participating in the next scheduled treasure hunt at the Louvre. If you can relate to me and are looking for more interesting way to visit museums, check out her blog as well and see if it could be something for you.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank Mrs C

• Polish first
Madrid, Spain
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent for a family visit!! Educational and FUN”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My family of four and I were in Paris and were sort of dreading bringing the kids (17 and 14 years old son and daughter, respectively) to some of the museums. But you can't very well go to Paris without seeing going to the Mona Lisa and various paintings at the Louvre. A friend told us about a treasure hunt company called thatlou that she'd read about. I scoured the THATLou blog and apparently each of the hunts are themed, so we chose the Beauty and the Beastiary, cause it gets you to the greatest hits of the museum.

I emailed the owner, Daisy to see if we could join one of her groups but as she only had private events organised when we were there we decided to divide the family up and play boys against girls. She sent an email suggesting I tell the kids that if they want to get bonus points they could read some of the articles in her blog. I mentioned it at dinner one night and was FLOORED that the competitiveness of the kids surpassed any indifference to art (we've lived in Madrid for 6 years and they've only been to the Prado on school trips and as a family visit when we first arrived). My husband had been prodding them along about how the boys were going to win as usual and poof, they scoured her site typing in Beauty and Bestiary in the search box!

It was a great hit for all four of us. And we left with the kids wanting to do another hunt of another theme if only we'd had enough time in Paris. A HUGE suprise -- and pleasure!

One con to the whole blog, is that it isn't that easy to get information: the practical information about the hunts are in a scroll down menu in key words at the top. I've written Daisy, who's very accessible and organised, about it and she said she's in the process of getting a website built. But as she pointed out the kids wouldn't have taken away their bonus points if it weren't for the blog!

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Luz L
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun team building event”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our team of 9 people participated in a "Beauty and the Beast(iary)" THATLou. It was a great event for our group, all anglophone, about half knowing/living in Paris (and thus somewhat familiar with the Louvre) and the other half visiting from the States (not knowing the Louvre at all). As it was a corporate group, some team members were initially hesitant about the idea of doing a scavenger hunt, but in the end people got really into it and it turned out to be a great team building event (in addition to being a novel way of exploring the Louvre)! Daisy was most lovely to work with in planning for the event. Would definitely recommend THATLou and would love to try it again with different people next time--think it would be fun whether with friends, family, or strangers :)

Visited November 2012
5 Thank Nicole S
Bath, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Brilliant new take on a classic!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having seen this recommended on Trip, I was really chuffed to discover that even though a hunt wasn't scheduled for the weekend we were visiting, Daisy put us in touch with another couple so we could do a hunt anyway! Having been to the Louvre several times before, I was aware that I'd only ever done the trad painting galleries, so it was nice to have an excuse to truly explore! My boyfriend and I really liked the challenges, and it was lovely meeting the other couple we were competing against. We didn't manage to complete all of the hunt ('Beauty and the Beastiary') due to aching feet, but enjoyed comparing notes and chatting afterwards in the restaurant with the other couple. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone with a morning or afternoon spare!
P.s. Wear VERY comfy shoes as there is a LOT of walking!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank BathMissa
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Très Très Très Bien!!!!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife, who’s a native of Paris and knows the Louvre pretty well is interested in art. I am not, and put off going as long as her patience would last (they meet the first Sunday of every month, although the lady organizing it said she was going to try to offer more regular scavenger hunts). Anyway, I really didn’t want to have to go with all those tourists and to spend an afternoon in a museum, but it ended up being quite a surprise, because you don’t have to know or really care about art – you just have to read a map and have a sense of sport to you.

Elodie was wrapped up in the text on the pieces we were after because there were all sorts of bonus points that she was reading before we’d find the pieces and I was in charge of the navigation – the place is huge. I’m surprised to say this, but I’d actually like to play again, because only toward the end did I feel like I had a pretty good sense of the museum, and think with another try we could actually win! The other people playing were from all over the place, but we all had a good sense of camaraderie, comparing photos over a drink.

Mr Bitner