“Fabulous and Comfy!”

Peace and Love Hostel
Ranked #135 of 194 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I stayed in this hostel the month of November 2003. I lived in Nantes (2 hours west of Paris by TGV) where I was studying and I came up for a weekend to stay with 2 gal-pals from the USA and I gotta say, this hostel was exceptional, really. The staff was great, the rooms were excellent and the hostel truly is in a perfect location. Jaures metro is literally across the street, and there is plenty to walk around and see. There is a pub/bar next door, and a quaint grocery store down the street. Also, the fact that there is a pub downstairs also beats having to go out big every night Paris. There is internet in the bar, along with TV if you need to catch the score of those rugby and soccer games. The kitchen (off the side of the bar and down the stairs) is spacey and very functional. This hostel is great and the staff is fully welcoming as well as overly willing to help you in anything you need. From directions to the Pere Lachaise, to discussing culture over a beer or cappucino---it was a comfortable, yet affordable place to be while in Paris. I made a few friends, and always stop in on my way through Paris...and always will continue to.
If you have any questions about the Peace and Love, feel very free to email me!

• Stayed: November 2003
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

san diego
Reviewed March 17, 2005

Ok this hostel was so gross that as soon as we walked in and saw what we were getting into... we got a hold of a phone book and immediately began to search for another place to stay. I am a 21 year old girl so it's not like I am out of the loop... it was just nasty. It is nowehere close to any of the tourist sites... u have to take a subway with a bunch of local weirdos, oh yea this hostel is also in the ghetto... like the ugliest and most digusting part of paris... took like at least 20-45 min to get anywhere where we actually wanted to be, nothing is within walking distance except mcdonalds. No you cannot see the eeifel tower. Here is a better description, I went to use an atm across the street and there was a gang of like 12 drunk men just sitting in front of the atm.. this was when we got there like @ 9pm. Yea like they weren't there to rip someone off. The people at the bar are locals who are all losers basically and really weird... and the bartender is super rude and also gave me the creeps when she got all upset because we did not want to buy a beer. The old computer ate my money and i couldn't use the internet and the phone inside did not work. There is a payphone out front but beware of nasty french men trying to knock on the glass and trying to get in the booth with you (when you are calling your mom to cry about how miserable this place is)... It felt like the most unsafe place ever. Now haha... the rooms... haha.. ok listen to this... there were bugers all over the disgusting purple walls and also there were bugers on the side of the weakest rusted bunk bed that i have ever seen let alone slept on... you can't even move without thinking that you will colapse on the person below you... now imagine what the matress must be like. We had a super small dirty shower that was clogged and the by time I was done showering the water was up to my ankles and even flip flops could not protect that. I am a partier but I was so not going to party with the weird locals downstairs... which were mostly male. I also remember how something didn't feel right about the lock on the door... oh ok the person at the front desk asked for the key when we left??? Yea here go ahead and just feel free to take my camcorder and go through all of my personal belongings if you please. Stay away from this hostel... I do not understand the good reviews... it was by far worst experince in the 6 weeks that I stayed in Europe. If you can get some more cash then I suggest splitting the cost and staying at the hotel du cudran.

• Stayed: August 2004
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2005

Rooms are small, stairs are narrow and high, but people are friendly and seem to want to be sure you are safe, but could care less if you slept!

Generally I would say if you're not looking to stay up all night drinking absinthe and causing a ruckus this is not the place for you. But if you don't mind walking the stairs, or having people walk into your room in the middle of the night to sleep on the floor, it's not at all bad. I think the best thing about the place was the number of chill people there who just wanted to hang out, walk around and see the city.

Keep in mind it is a hostel, and from my experience it's a good one at that.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 25, 2004

Peace & Love, Paris is the best! I definately plan on visiting Paris many more times and I will never stay anywhere else. Everyone there is great, staff and tourists alike. We met so many great new friends and the location is perfect. This hostel has such a great vibe, you can't help having fun!!!
Karen's tours are the coolest, they're so much fun and she knows things that your tour books will never tell you!!! Take the tours! They're worth the 5 euros! Seriously! xoxoxoxo

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2004

This hostel is not for the picky. It's a comfortable enough place to rest your head and the staff seems very friendly and there is a bar and computer in the lobby. I didn't spend much time at the hostel as I'm the adventurous sort, though my only problem was that the rooms were co-ed, which wasn't the worst, but since the rooms were small and there was only one bathroom per room, one couldn't just change at the drop of a hat. Also it was a little inconvenient that the staff held onto the room keys instead of letting each guest have one of his/her own to carry around. You have to use it to open the room and then return it back downstairs, so sometimes the room is left open and though I didn't have anything taken, I didn't feel so safe leaving my things unattended at times.
The staircase upstairs is a little narrow and a potential fire hazard. Also there are no fire escapes in this buiding so any kind of emergency would prove to be a sticky situation. All in all, I think this hostel was okay as it's right across the street from the Metro and the cost is cheap.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2004

This was my first hostel experience, and was a good one at that. The bathrooms were clean, the kitchen was nicely sized( and food very rarely taken) Its ideally located, 2 mins away from metro stop Jaures and the staff are nice. Take ear plugs if your a light sleeper, and be prepared for a scramble into bed ifyour in a top bunk. There was a relaxed feel to the place and people willing to talk to you.

3  Thank HappyNatty
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2004

First, this hostel is a 15 min walk, or two stops on the Metro from the Gare du nord (rail station). And there are two Metro stations just down the street. Nearby is a great supermarket and other "greengrocers", charcuterie, and bakeries for thrifty eating. Also closeby, you'll find an internet cafe with reasonable rates. The staff at this hostel are very helpful. Go on Karen's guided tour. She's great fun. The rooms are small but clean and tidy. The bar downstairs is a llvely place to drink cheap beer, meet locals and travellers and kibbutz with the bartenders.

The neighbourhood is not particulary "touristy" but it is interesting. Check out the canal, and maybe take a boat ride. With the Metro so close, you're not far from anything. And because this is not a tourist destination, the prices can be a bit lower.

Warning: that bar is open until 0200, meaning if you want to sleep earlier and you don't have earplugs, you might be out of luck. Also, the rooms are "mixed gender" so if that bothers you see if the management can work something out or go someplace else. Also, this is on a main street near the junction of two other busy streets so it can be noisy even late at night. Bring your earplugs.

would I stay here again. I sure would. See you there soon!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member