“Villa d'Estrees”

Hotel Villa d'Estrees
Ranked #288 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Perfect location for a hotel, large rooms, clean, wonderful concierge who helped us with locations and activities. But suites facing street can be noisy depending on the day of the week. One should book a room facing the rear of the building for sure. We absolutely loved this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing back of building would be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank lauralus10

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the first week of Sept. 2012. 10 suite hotel. Built in the 16th century as a private residence. I do not know when it was turned into this boutique hotel but it was a great place to stay. We stayed on their top floor 5. The first floor is considered the "0" floor. Two rooms per floor. Very quiet. As soon as you walk out the door there are shops, bistros, pubs, light dining, fine dining, shopping everywhere. No need for a hotel with dining as it is all at your doorstep. Three of our five night stay, we ended up in the St. Michel Blvd./St. Germain area at Le Pub Saint Germain Bar/Restaurant-Salon drinking wine and watching the street scene unfold. The people who ran this Bistro were very friendly to us as Americans. From this hotel you are one block to the Seine, walking distance to the Louvre and Notre Dame and the France Tourist Bureau where you can walk to catch the bus for their daily tours. You can also walk to the Siene for a boat tour of the city. Incredible hotel and location. We chose not to use their public or taxi transportation since we knew 20 words of French. The hotel arranged for a private driver to pick us up from the Euro and drop us off at Charles DeGaulle when we flew home. We would definitely stay there again. First trip to Paris and so glad we chose this Boutique Hotel and location.

Room Tip: We chose the largest room they have which was about 300 sq.ft. It was very spacious and not at all...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pat D
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for three nights and could not have been happier there. The location can't be beat. It is a very short walk to Notre Dame and sticking my head out the window, I could see the Seine. The concierge was incredibly helpful and polite, helping us select restaurants each night of our stay. The decor was decidedly French. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find any issue with the bathrooms. I thought it was nice. The room was also quite large, we had friends over without feeling cramped. I thought the value was good. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oostar33
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel is located in a superb central location and makes you feel very Parisienne the minute you arrive. We had three rooms for the family and overall we were all pleased, the bathrooms are a little quirky and not what you find in a typical Hilton style hotel but hey that's not what you've booked, this hotel is quirky and boutique.

The downside if a ny is the noise, it certainly didn't spoil my trip but you may well get an early morning call around 6.30am when the refuse, bottles start to be collected, we were on the 3rd floor and didn't hear the noise that some people talk about from the Irish pub so don't be put off by what you read from some reviews.

The staff are all very cool and very happy to assist with your taxi's etc, one lady actually took the time to collect me some train tickets which was a real help.

Breakfasts are fine and trust me €12 is not bad value as I am still scarred from paying that price for a pint in the cafe de Paris around the corner from the hotel,

Great trip, great hotel, great staff

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bunny H
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Great location large suite and helpful staff. The noise was a little loud but I am a light sleeper. I would return as the security of the hotel and its lovely design outweigh any noise. Some more info in your rom regarding restaurants and local Paris sites would be more helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lionel888
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for an anniversary trip in July. The location couldn't be more ideal. We took the RER-B from the airport (and we are taxi people), which was easy, inexpensive and drops you right by the river - two short blocks from the hotel. Surprisingly, our room was ready at 9am after our early arrival via the redeye from the US. We easily walked to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Tuillieries, etc. from the St. Michel location. For other excursions, the Paris Metro was just a few steps away.

Rooms were well appointed and decor was funky French (which we loved). Bathroom was a bit tight for two people but we didn't mind at all. Room was quite large for Paris standards (about the same as a US hotel room). There was a minibar but I remember that it was not restocked after I drank the Coke in it the first day. No biggie.

The woman that helped us at check-in was lovely. We had prepaid for the room so it was a simple thing to get a key and go up. She was very helpful with dinner reservations (via email before we arrived, and also after we checked in).

Our only trouble came on a weeknight in the rain, while trying to get a taxi to dinner. The hotel is on a very tiny street and taxi access is sketchy. The concierge on duty was not so helpful in trying to get a cab - he would not call and inquire for us until our other friends came down to the lobby. When he did call, he told us no taxis were available. We said no problem, can you please assist us with best route via Metro? His answer: "I don't ever use the Metro." So we were a bit frazzled but simply walked outside in the rain and lucked into a waiting cab. Other than that, the service was excellent.

We didn't try the hotel breakfast as there are so many cute and delicious cafes steps from the hotel. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we had no problems whatsoever with outside noise even though our room faced the street.

Overall, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great rooms in a great spot, and I thought the price ($325/night) was not too bad.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amdeets
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was my second time at Villa D'Estrees and I will definitely return. Six years ago we were there with our kids who were 10 and 12 at the time. We stayed in their adjacent property across the alley in a huge, spacious apartment. This time I brought my aging parents and were in the main hotel on the 5 th floor in adjoining rooms. A small elevator made transfer of my Mom to and from the lobby quite simple and the rooms were quite large with all the amenities you need although no coffee maker or microwave. A lot seems to be made by some reviewers about noise from the Irish Pub down below but I have to say this was a complete non-issue for us and we had windows on the street directly above the Pub. With the windows shut and AC on we did not hear a thing, and I'm a very light sleeper!!

Location of this hotel is simply perfect - Latin Quarter surrounded by excellent restaurants, the Metro is within steps as is the RER train which is the best way to get to and from Charles de Gaul airport, Versailles, and many other nearby attractions. Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, Isle St Loius are less than 5 minute walks, and you can easily walk to the Louvre in 20 to 30 minutes, Eiffel Tower in 45, of course the metro will get you there in far less than that!!

The hotel staff are perhaps it's strongest asset. They were immensely helpful in planning our vacation, easily accessible by e-mail and extremely gracious in virtually all of our interactions. They were kind, knowledgable, and anxious to help with any problems that arose. I cannot say enough about them - even the night staff.

The hotel offers breakfast in the morning and while at first blush it seems a bit expensive at 12 Euros, the convenience, quality and volume (big servings!) make it worthwhile. Of course there are lots of local cages in which you can get a coffee and croissant but you will pay at least 8 euros for it and wish you had just eaten in the elegant lobby of the hotel!! If you have an apartment you can always do some shopping for fruit and baked goods at any of the local shops close by and make your own breakfast.

I highly recommend you take the hotel's advice on restaurants as well - they booked us in to 3 - the Latin, Allard and Christine and they were perfect ,exactly what we were looking for on those nights. If you tell them what you want they will find it for you and even book for you in advance - we did this all by email.

Stay here you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in 501 and 502 - adjoining rooms on the top floor and the only rooms there so quiet and ea...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family