“One nigh only”
Review of Smart Place Paris

Smart Place Paris
Ranked #17 of 181 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I only stayed here one night, and I picked it because of its close location to Gare du Nord. I had a bit of trouble finding it, mainly because I went the wrong way down the street. If Gare du Nord is directly behind you, go right and then when you come to the 5 way junction rue du dunkerque is one of those off the junction as well as being what you've just walked down. The rooms were clean, and the ensuite bathroom was clean although incredibly wet after 2 people took showers due to no shower curtain! I had booked a mixed dorm, but ended up with all girls, which was perfect for me. There is a lift there, but it barely fits one person. Free wifi available, but I only used it in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We opted to stay in this hostel due to its close proximity at the Gare du Nord station. We originally booked in a female dorm but we were placed in a mixed-dorm. Overall experience was not bad because we barely noticed the other guests. The room and bathroom were clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hostel to people who wanted a value for their money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hostel is close to Gare du Nord. Staff is friendly & accommodating. Rooms are tiny (smallest among all the hostel rooms we have stayed at in Europe). Bathrooms are dirty. Free wifi & there's a computer that is available for use in the lobby.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Well I have stayed in this hostel because was quite close to the main train station Gare du Nord and all the facilities are around, supermarkets haircut bakeries etc...

I really enjoyed the hostel, the rooms a bit small but comfortable and quiet, also I was impressed with the staff, thet were really friendly and corteous, always smiling and you don't fell you're in Paris. Thanks to Mafalda for her competency!

But always we have to mention what are the pros and cons from the places we are staying.

I checked in in the morning and been travelled for the whole night long and I was aware about check-in time. I was informed I had been moved to a 3 star hotel, ( well an upgrade, I felt odd)
Therefore I took my stuffs and went down for 2 blocks away and I found the hotel, so the receptionist also told me the same, check in only 3pm. Well I decided to wait and took the opportunity to rest a bit, after 2 hours the receptionist again came to me and told me another name on the reservation ( I gave my name 3 times), overall he didn't find my reservation, he called back the hostel and "there was a mistake". Well, I don't need to say I went all the way up again with my heavy bags right? I was frustrating, after I arrived in the hostel they apologized and they thought I was another guest- bad! Though, I needed to wait for more 15m to my room to be ready.
Second issue, the hostel has wireless only in the lobby. Don't expect to find a hotspot on your floor, you might be disappointed, and imagine in the evening time, the space is not that big and everybody is using the wireless at the same time. The reason because they want to creat a good atmosphere and so on....

You also can decide upon check-in if you want to add your breakfast for 7.50 €. In case yes, you have to walk one block behind the hostel. Don't expect a huge selection, but I'd recommend to go for another place or you'd rather go to a market and buy your own bkf. The hostel provide a microwave, a mini stove and 2 fridges to store your groceries.

Well, overall the rest is okay. But I recommend this place comparing to other places I've been to. Much better.

Room Tip: Strictly check in after 3pm, and be careful with pickpockets, they are all around train station, usu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Philippeandtheteam, Directeur général at Smart Place Paris, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

hi diego
my name is philippe. i wants to thank you for the time you spend sharing your impression about the hostel. i am always trying to make the customer happy to stay and the remarks are very important to me i notice that uve got an upgrade to a 3stars hotel with no extra charge and you came back.
the social and friendly atmospher is our main goal it´s why there are not wifi in the rooms but a very efficent wifi in our loby where you can meet others travelers .the kitchen is a way to meet other people
hope to see you again by us

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hostel is in a great location, close to train station. Room was clean and bathroom clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Common room/kitchen quite small but convenient. Not alot of area to chill out as its all tables and chairs for eating meals.
Overall I would definitely go back here if in Paris.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great place to stay if you want a quiet hostel. Not much going on in the evenings and the common room is quite small. The hallway to the bathroom from the common room is open ceiling and you can smoke there. Free WiFi was handy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, there's bedbugs. We've been feasted on in this place so until they get this sorted stay clear.

Bedbugs aside, it really isn't a very nice place to stay (and I've stayed in quite a few Parisian hostels).

We found the staff we met slow, apathetic, generally unhelpful and rude at times.

We witnessed another traveller being turned away after he had booked & paid an extra night because of an admin error - it seems the staff charged for the same date twice for separate rooms. We did try to help him but were rudely cut out of the situation and the girl handling it was ignorant to the error (perhaps knowingly?).

In the room the noise from the kitchen travels straight up the air ducts & is piped into the bathroom. The plug hole in the sink was blocked.

In my opinion it is also overpriced and we totally regret spending the money.

There are many better places to stay in Paris. I just can't understand why some people rave about this Hostel. It's just a bit of a dive!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank DashWeaver

hi
i am very surprised about your comments my goal is to make customer happy to be at the smart place happy to be in Paris
regarding the bedbugs i know that its a major problem in small as bis hotels its why i do have a contract yearly renew to make sure that we dońt have bedbugs sometimes the traveler brings them
the staff are awate to make the stay very enjoyable and to share the best tips about paris and resolve problems when it´s possible
i hope you come again and see the real servce theat we provide
philippe