“Great place to absorb Monet water lilies and French Impressionists”

Musee de l'Orangerie
Book In Advance
More Info
$51.34*
and up
Montmartre Art Walking Tour Including Skip-the-Line Musée de l'Orangerie and...
Ranked #12 of 1,106 things to do in Paris
Port Saint Joe, Florida, United States
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Great place to absorb Monet water lilies and French Impressionists”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

You are suppose to see the water lilies moving as you look at the immense paintings. Did not quite see that. Best was the fact that they had a rather larger collection of paintings borrowed from the Orsy Museum while we were there so we were able to skip that museum. Lots of huge paintings by French impressionists such as Cezanne, van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, degas, boudin, Renoir, Gauguin, Seurat, Manet, Matisse, Rosseau, Sisley, Modigliani. The only one I thought terrible was works of art by Picasso but that is my personal taste.

1 Thank Marcia L

46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Surprising”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I liked it bc there are huge murals by Monet I had never seen. We went at 5pm and they close at 6 so it wasn't super crowded and I am also a huge cezanne fan and there is a whole room of only cezanne. It also is small enough you can do it quickly and not have your eyes glaze over. Not overwhelming or crowded like louvre.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
151 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Maybe my favorite Musee in Paris”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The building is stunning after being closed the last time we were in Paris. Monet's "Waterlillies" have a wonderful home and are breath taking. If that is not enough downstairs there is a wonderful exhibition. The architect did a stunning job on this building. It was a wonderful experience.

Visited March 2014
Ambleside, United Kingdom
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“this really is an astounding museum”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Words cannot express the deep serenity that comes from viewing Monet's Water Lilies series in person. Barring none, our visit to Musée de l'Orangerie was probably the best experience I had in France.

Visited October 2013
Berlin, Germany
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“See the flowing water through his eyes”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

With a resident permit of EU, I even visited the museum for free. For a long time I'd not been a huge fan of Impressionism (Actually I'm more for modern arts). As I stepped into the great showroom, I was still an outlaw of Monet's art. I took a couple of minutes, just staring at the paintings...then I understood it. I could hear the summer's breeze wrinkling the tranquil pond in his garden. I could see the colorful waterweeds posing with the smoothly surging wave below. On the surface, les Nymphéas sat there gracefully, like ballerinas who were taking a break during the intermezzo of seasons. Masterpiece.

2 Thank AzureStelle