“4 comfortable nights”

Le Mareuil
Ranked #137 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

I had 4 pleasant nights in this hotel. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the air con effective and the bathroom (with wonderful rain shower) and amenities were good. There were bathrobes and slippers. I had a superior room facing onto the street but it wasn't noisy. It wasn't massive but it was big enough for me.

The staff were friendly and helpful, particularly Berg who was lovely to chat to at breakfast. I didn't get a lot of information on arrival but I think that was the exception rather than the norm. I am sure if I had asked questions they would have been answered. They went out of their way to try to find me a laptop charger as I had left mine at home.

On the down side, I thought breakfast was expensive at 18eur . It was very nice but I went out a couple of days for breakfast. The boulangerie at the bottom of the road and cafe voltaire do basic brekkie (coffee croissant/pain au choc and maybe oj for 6 eur). Also the fitness room is tiny with no space really for anything except for the 4 machines in there (which were good).

The hotel is not in a fashionable part of Paris. On the plus side you don't see that many tourists but it really isn't a salubrious place . For a first time in Paris, you might be better off somewhere like the Latin Quarter or near Opéra or Notre Dame. However, this is my 4th visit so I wanted somewhere different. It's only a 15 min walk to the Place des Vosges and maybe a 45 min walk to Notre Dame or an easy subway ride. There are some nice local restaurants but you have to dig more to unearth the gems. I would recommend chez imogene creperie, the pharmacie restaurant and chai adrian wine bar. The first two are 2mins walk from the hotel.

I would recommend the hotel itself but you should consider whether the location is for you.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank holidayqueen21

Reviewed August 27, 2014

Very nice and romantic hotel. You come and go as you please, there will always be someone ready for you at the reception. The rooms were clean and cosy, and the bathroom was very luxurious for a city hotel.
it is situated in a quiet neigbourhood surrounded by locals, at a 5 min walk from La republic metro station with several connections.
I would definitely stay there again next time I'm in Paris.

Room Tip: Our room was covered in a room wide rug. Make sure to mention if you have allergies!
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my friend for 4 nights. When we arrived a member of staff called Samy greated us extremely warmly, gave us a map and some friendly advice about getting around. The room was on the first floor, fairly small but stylish, the shower was particularly amazing. The WiFi worked really well, there was nothing missing from the room. Also a handy little super market and kebab shop round the corner. I really enjoyed my stay in Paris and recommend this hotel to anyone :)

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NJ R
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed three nights away from the children and and really enjoyed it. Very peaceful. A beautifully clean and comfortable hotel in a convenient location near to Republique. Wonderful shower, everything newly decorated. We thought the breakfast at EURO 18 was expensive (so popped down to the excellent little boulangerie at the end of the street) which did full breakfast for 5.70, but apparently if you book direct with the hotel, you can get free breakfast. Polite and helpful staff. Free wifi. Rue de Malte slighlty marred by down and outs, but they were not threatening. Try Les Petits Papiers restaurant nearby. Agree with other comments that the rooms are small, but compact is what you expect in Paris. Happy to recommend it. We will be back.

1  Thank SunStreet
Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this adorable boutique hotel in mid- August for three nights. It was my husband's first time in Paris and my first time in Paris for non-business reasons. We couldn't have been more pleased with our experience! We will absolutely consider staying in this hotel in future.

Rooms:
Modern, fresh decor with bright happy colors. Plenty of space for two adults with large suitcases to walk around and comfortably store bags. We were happy to not have to climb over each other to get around, which we heard can be a problem for many hotels in Paris. We made use of the armoir in our room to store clothes and our carry-on bags. It made a huge difference in keeping our beautiful room clutter free!

THE SHOWER! Rain head showers are a little slice of heaven. I was so happy to end my busy day of sightseeing with a nice, relaxing shower at night. The bathroom was pretty spacious by Paris standards and was very charming. Bonus: the shower has doors, so no water all over the bathroom after showering (invaluable to us Americans)! :)

Breakfast:
We only ate breakfast one morning in our hotel, but were very pleased. Fresh croissants and pain au chocolat, fresh fruit, eggs and sausage. Plenty of options for every appetite. The price was around 10 euros if I remember correctly, so not too much more than what you would pay for breakfast at restaurants in the area. For the convenience, we were happy to pay a little more.

Staff:
Fantastic! Since I was already in France for business purposes and wouldn't be back in Paris until the evening, my husband decided he wanted to check into our hotel early after arriving from his 8 hour flight that morning (can't say I blame him!). We called the hotel the day before to request an early check-in, to which they said that they would do their best to make it happen. The day of, we were thrilled that they were able to accommodate our request and that my poor husband was able to have a bed to sleep off some of his jet lag. We were so very grateful that the stars worked in our favor this time! In addition to allowing us to check-in early, the staff always had great recommendations for restaurants and bars. Really great service.

Location:
EXcellent area that gets you away from the uber touristy areas of Paris. Nowhere in Paris is free of tourists, but I felt that I got a much more "real" feel for Paris and Parisians in the Republique area (northern part of the Marais). The hotel is located around the corner from Place de la Republique which is surrounded by restaurants and shopping. At night the plaza is full of families, friends and young people hanging out, playing games or dancing. It's great fun just to sit and watch. There is also a Metro station at the plaza that serves several lines. So although the hotel isn't close walking distance to the Eiffel tower, Arch de Triomphe, Invalides, etc,. with the Metro station being so close and so quick it took no more than 15 minutes to get to any of the main attractions, if not less. Other attractions were walking distance (a mile or less) from the hotel (the National Opera, Bastille, etc.).

Finally, the hotel is located on a quiet street. Our room faced the street and we had no issues with street noise or loud drunk tourists during our stay.

Price:
I felt the hotel was priced reasonably for all the amenities and the quality experience we received. Paris isn't cheap, but we didn't feel that we overpaid for what we got.

Other amenities:
I didn't use the gym, but they have one, which is always great for burning off the delicious French cuisine you will surely be enjoying.

The hotel also has an elevator so it's accessible for those who cannot use stairs.

Air conditioning! Yes, this hotel has air conditioning which is great for summer trips. Our room also had windows that opened, so on cooler nights we would turn off the AC and enjoy the breeze from outside.

Free wifi with a great signal. We stayed on the second floor and never lost signal!

Summary:
Cool hotel in a great location in Paris that gives you a less touristy experience. Excellent proximity to Metro, restaurants, and attractions. I would 100% stay here again.

Room Tip: Take the Republique metro to the hotel. The Oberkampf station, although technically closer, is prett...
3  Thank aparad2
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Arrived in Paris on the train at the Gare de Lyon and then took the M5 to Oberkampf. The hotel is on the opposite side of the road, down a side street (about 5 minutes walk). The hotel lobby is nice with the breakfast area one end and the desk the other. There is an elevator to all floors. The room was not a bad size for Paris (the last hotel I stayed in the room was the size of a cupboard). The bathroom was compact and clean. Free wifi with good connection. Getting around was easy because of the Oberkampf metro station. There are a few homeless people in the area but at no time did I feel unsafe.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chez-from-Oz
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Le Mareuil for 4 nights at the end of July. The location was great, within a close walk to the Plaza Republique and its metro station. The Oberkampf metro station is also quite near. Between these metro lines, you'll be able to get to any location in Paris. The concierge was so very helpful in giving directions and securing restaurant reservations for us as well. The room was very clean and comfortable, with air conditioning, and there was a lift to the top floor. There is a great boulangerie/patisserie at the end of the block, if you are looking for a coffee and croissant for breakfast. One last note, if you get a chance to stroll by the nearby Canal St. Martin on a Friday evening, chances are you will find its length packed with people enjoying an al fresco bottle of wine and conversation. This seems to be a much less touristy part of Paris so was very enjoyable!

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, so there was less noise from the street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple