“Has its advantages”

Ranked #954 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Montreal
“Has its advantages”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My first impression wasn't so good -- did not like the decor that seemed somewhat mismatched and a bit worn. But then I remembered what I paid for this (not very much, found reduced flight/hotel Transat Holidays packages), how convenient it is to RER-B train that goes to CDG airport (Luxembourg station, nearest exit rue de l'Abbé de l'Epée [has escalators] or, just a few steps farther, Port-Royal station [has lifts/elevators]), and noticed how clean the room is, that bathroom's been redone, towels and bedding are in good condition, there is a flat screen TV and free Wi-Fi works well.

We stayed 10 days in January 2013. Walked few minutes to Luxembourg Gardens (they're lovely year-round) on nicer days, several blocks/10-12 minutes to Vavin metro -- in lively part of Montparnasse area, with shops, cinemas, cafés and famous brasseries.

On Bd St-Michel/by the hotel, the 38 bus runs often and is very convenient ..goes to the Seine/Île de la Cité/Notre-Dame, Centre Pompidou and Gare du Nord train station.

Our room faced the street, but with window shut there was no street noise at all and the view is pleasant. There is air conditioning that can be a real plus in the summer.

Tiny bathroom and shower cubicle were kept sparkly clean, + good water pressure, soaps and shampoo replenished daily.

Breakfast is served on the ground floor and is generous for continental fare. Other than the usual coffee/tea/hot choc, jam, butter, a (fresh) croissant and juice, there was a self-service cold buffet with cheeses, plain yoghurt, bread, fruit salad and more.

Service was fine. There is a lift, and a safe at the reception (€1.50/day to use the safe).

In conclusion, if you can get their lower rates it is good value, and location is convenient, close to some sights and good transport.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank innaMontreal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed one night, clean and efficient service but bedroom overloaded with beds [yes really] double and two singles in a double! Bathroom small and serviceable. Room was noisy though - could hear the metro rumbling below. Located well for Jardins du Luxembourg, parking [if you're driving] is a bit of a nightmare!

Regrettably the night porter mistook my wife for a hooker and thought we wanted a last minute room at 3 in the morning rather than letting us in to our booked room....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steven_way
London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it, but there is a major drawback which might put you off.

Firstly, it's good value, and as you can see from previous reviews - well rated. It took me less than 20 minutes from the Gare Du Nord to the hotel lobby. It's a very short walk to Luxembourg RER station, and you can walk to Notre Dame and the Isle de la Cite in 20 minutes. It's very close to the Luxembourg Gardens too.

There is a supermarket literally next door, so I stocked up there on food and water and didn't sample the breakfast.

The staff are extremely friendly at the reception. I was able to check in at noon when I arrived off the Eurostar andI had room 208 - small with no view, but the bathroom was fine and I didn't have a small shower, quite the opposite, the cubicle was quite big.

The bed was comfy and the pillows nice. Sheets and blankets rather than duvet, but plenty of extras in the wardrobe if you want them.

However, the walls in this hotel are literally paper thin. On the first morning, about 7 a.m., a family with a grizzling child arrived in the room next door and woke me up. I could hear every whine and grizzle, and every word the parents uttered. Luckily I had brought earplugs and put them in.

On night two, about 1 a.m., a couple down the corridor could be heard having sex - every cry of 'oui' 'oui' cut through the silence of the night. It was quite funny, but I could hear every grunt and moan!

On the third night, I was kept awake by the room next door talking and watching the telly.

So, if you value your peace, this may not be the hotel for you. I may have been unlucky tough. Take earplugs.

All in all an excellent value hotel, but think twice if you want peace and quiet.

Room Tip: I would avoid a room over the busy street, or on a high floor as the lift is slow.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HerrWanderlust
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Have used this hotel twice now, this Dec 12, and 5 years ago... It's a fantastic little hotel, rooms smallish but with all the things you need - digital TV, ensuite, hair dryer (circa 1950 though!!) lovely opening windows... Price was good for Paris, so my daughter and I were able to get a room each....Close to Luxemborg RER (about 300 metres) and easy walking distance to Notre Dame and Montparnasse Road. Staff are helpful, we couldnt have asked for better accommodation in Paris... only rated 2*, but this is deceptive, as I think its much better than that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street, mine was facing the brick courtyard, but none the less still nice...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank joan e
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my sister and 2 grandkids, it was a perfect location, my sister was partially disabled and long walks wasn't easy, but this hotel has easy access to public transport, stops almost at the door, while there I got really sick with the flu the hotel staff arranged for me to see an English speaking doctor, who came to his office just to see me, we loved the hotel if I get back to Paris it's where I'll stay, it was clean, my grandson loved the brekkie he ate everything offered, and on leaving the hotel turn left and about 60 mtrs there's a great little shop that sell newspapers, coffee and the best French baguettes with Camembert cheese, yes we enjoyed our stay, never found a grumpy staff member, no complaints, and for Paris not a bad price.

Room Tip: Can't remember our room number, but I'm sure you won't have a problem, through Europe ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sas2744
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel is a short walk from the Luxembourg station and was very easy to find. We had a nice room on the top floor overlooking the main street, room was a good size for Paris however the shower was very small. The Luxembourg area is very nice and I felt safe walking around at night. It was around a 25 min walk to Notre Dame

I found the hotel to be very dark, our floor had barely any lighting and I found that odd. Wasn't impressed by the staff they seemed unimpressed by everyone. Breakfast was served in the main lobby and was pretty good. Overall it was a little expensive but the location made up for it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed in a twin room October 25 - 28, 2012. Hotel is showing its age however great price and location. A short walk from RER blue line, Luxembourg stop (hopped on at CDG & straight shot). Room was typical size for Paris hotels of this type. Very clean room (#303) & bathroom. Great shower (hey I like my water pressure) although for a person who needs a lot of room in a shower you may have to be creative with space or if you drop the soap. The front desk staff were excellent and very knowledgeable/helpful with any questions I had as well as being extremely patient while I stumbled through in French.

On the negative side for me - Asked for a room facing the inside however all twins face the street according to front desk clerk. Was not as noisy as I thought it would be. Another is there is no safe in room.

Cannot comment on breakfast as I opted to eat at local cafes enroute to whichever area I was checking out that day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends