“A room change means everything”
Review of Avalon Hotel Paris

Avalon Hotel Paris
Ranked #862 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 26, 2010

First night assigned a shabby-looking sixth floor garret (elevator only goes to 5th). No AC and open windows but all-new-looking, sparkling bath and comfortable bed. Asked for something "plus amable" and next night received a spectacular apartment with COLD but adjustable AC. I'd reject the place based on the first room, stay again on business in the second. Latter had small self-cater area with stove, fridge, sink, kitchen tools. Good bath with the best showerhead I've ever had, even in primo places. Hotel consists of three or four properties grouped under one management. Branded for reservations as this review, but outside signage still shows different hotel names. Area is 5 two blocks from Gare du Nord, a rough area on weekends, but not so bad during the week. Good restaurant, "Chez Michel" nearby and several cafes. I'd recommend only with insistence in the summer on AC or "climitization." And then as a bargain place, or only on clarity of what kind of room.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
londres133, Responsable relations clients at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

We thank you for all of your comments. We would like to inform you that our hotel has just become a 3 star hotel. We have renovated the entire hotel as well. We hope to see you all again very soon.

Fanny
And the rest of the staff

Reviewed July 17, 2010

Stayed on Monday 12th July 2010. The night receptionist refused to provide safe storage for my cycle and insisted I park it in the street beside other cycles on a rack outside the front door of the hotel. I chained and locked the bike as instructed and went up to my room. 1 hour later the bike was stolen and when I went to reception to report the theft the male employee was standing in the entrance of the hotel smoking but claimed he hadn't seen anything. The following morning the female day receptionist told me that the hotel did have an area where my bicycle could have been stored overnight and she couldn't undertsand why her colleague had said differently. I had to spend hours making my way to the local police office to obtain a police report for an insurance claim. The whole episode ruined my holiday to Paris and it has left me angry as I feel the hotel employee could have provided a space in the secure baggage area for my bicycle which would have prevented the theft. I certainly won't be back at the hotel, Paris or indeed France.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank DougiePeddie14
londres133, Responsable réception at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

We thank you for your comment.
As you’ve published it long time ago we just want to inform you that we’ve renovated our hotel and developed our service to make pleasant and much more comfortable stay for all our customers. Thanks to it we’ve received 3* category starting from October 2012.
Now we keep all the bicycles in the hotel left luggage or in the room.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked the hotel through a travel agent to celebrate my wifes birthday & thankfully only stayed 2 nights, the travel agents brochure describes it as " this modern hotel offers 64 well equiped, comfortable bedrooms & has recently been completely renovated & tastefully decorated".
Whoever wrote that recommendation must have had their eyes shut! The place was probably last renovated at the end of the last war (1945), the double room was dirty, smelly, filthy carpet, only 1 light working, en-suite door would not close, no plug in sink, no tea & coffee facilities. Breakfast was like eating in a school canteen and was buffet style continental.
The male reception staff I spoke with was rude & completely unsympathetic to my complaints, he said he would get the ensuite door, plug & lights fixed - he never did. However we did speak with a young female receptionist who was polite & helpful on our arrival but we never saw her again.
The only thing I can say in the hotels favour is that it is ideally situated for the Gare du Nord, but then so again are the makeshift tents that the local down & outs sleep in.
The hotel has a 2 star rating which should in my opinion be removed. I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NytramEssex

Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed one night training from Spain to London. Chose this hotel because of convenience for Gare du Nord. Not even 5 mins walk. Reception helpful and friendly. Arrived early morning so secure baggage store most useful. Room clean, excellent shower albeit small, plenty of towels. Facing Bld Magenta so obvious traffic noise but good to watch the world go buy.Double glazing most effective but would be hot mid summer. Good breakfast and plenty of choice of restaurants in area.Very good bus/Metro links. Paid E125 for double so quite pricey but worth it for convenience for one night

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Fanny
And the rest of the staff

Reviewed May 21, 2010

+ Very good location
+ Good breakfast buffet
+ Reasonable rate

- The lobby, the breakfast room, the hallways and the room were very dirty

The hotel would be a good deal for Paris, if it wouldn't have been so dirty. The floors apparently hadn't been cleaned for a while.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
londres133, Responsable réception at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Reviewed April 13, 2010

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. When we got there our room hadn't even been cleaned from the previous people and that was 4.00pm. It was disgusting. The second room that we were given was the same. The third room had stains on the bed linen and my husband and I ended up having two single beds together. The girls in the reception were cheerful but the gentleman was miserable. My sheets were not changed for four days, and I know this because of the stains on my sheets were in the same place everytime. The buffet breakfast in not what you expect it was poor. The WiFi didn't work in the hotel at all. The lights in the room were so dull that you couldn't read at all.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 27, 2010

We picked this hotel as it was close to be Gard du Nord and that's the best you could say about it. The room was tiny, the carpet was filthy and the light was practically non existent. The bathroom was clean but the toilet seat kept snapping shut like a turtle!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple