“Better than I had imagined”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Avalon Hotel Paris

Avalon Hotel Paris
Ranked #719 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Better than I had imagined”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at the hotel from March 17-24 and overall it was a positive experience. The train ride from CDG airport was literally about 30 minutes, and from the Gare du Nord station it's a 5 minute walk to the hotel (p.s. you may opt for the airport shuttle service, which I believe is 18 Euros each way, per person).

I do agree with the previous reviews that the doors were a problem (I believe as my "studio" was located right next to the elevator and I had the privilege to listen to the elevators going up and down with the doors opening and shutting on a daily basis); however, I was fortunate in that my room was situated in a corner away from the streets.

The bed was very comfortable and despite its small size, I did not find that to be too much of a problem (it is Europe afterall). My room also comes with a small kitchenette which gave me another option to cook in the hotel.

In terms of transport, the hotel is very conveniently located in the 10th arrondisement. There's a bus stop right in front of the hotel for Bus 30, which runs from Trocadero to Gare de l'est. From the front of Gare du Nord Train station, you could also hop on the Bus 48 to Louvre, as supposed to transferring from one metro line to another.

The area also has lots of food options: a Mcdonalds and Subway across the Gare du Nord station, and a Monop' grocery store around the corner for daily grocery needs.

All in all, it was a good hotel based on the amount I paid for it. and best of all, it has free WIFI. :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank missyy063
londres133, Responsable relations clients at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
thank you for your comment. Our hotel is located right near the train station as well as activities in paris, and that is one of the reasons why our guests love our hotel so much. The studios include a kitchenette as well as fridge, which means that you can keep food in there as well as cook your own meals. The beds are very comfortable as our maids make them with tender care and professionalism. We hope that since you had such a great experience the first time, you come back and stay with us again.

Sincerely
Reception

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Staid in this hotel for the France v Scotland rugby night 15-17 Mar 2013. Price was excellent at €190 for 2 nights for a triple room and breakfast. The hotel is located 5 min walk from Guard Nor train station - come out the main entrance to the station (signed Rue Dunkirk) with glass front, turn left, walk down street and hotel is on the opposite side of the road to the right.

Noting comments ref noise- we did not have a problem as we had a room at the back of the hotel.

And the free breakfast was very good.

Will visit again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank IgnisSport
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for 4 days and 3 nights. The staffs are actually approachable and speaks English. We got in the hotel before the check-in time but they let us get to our rooms.. The room size is ok, it's just the position of the beds. I requested for a twin bedroom and yes i got it but I have one double bed and a single bed is positioned horizontally at the footpart of the other bed and the light from the signboard outside the window gets through the curtains. If you sleep with lights on it's alright but not for those who sleeps in total darkness as it's quite bright. The noise of the vehicles is not a problem for me as my window has always been shut =) . The food is not a problem, they gt assorted fruits, breads, yogurts, tea, coffee, juice, cold meats and of course the cheese. The hotel is situated a couple of minutes away from the Gare du Nord station, just go straight down the street by the time you reach Magenta Boulevard turn left, just a couple of blocks and you're there! There's free wi-fi in the place, you just need to ask the receptionist for the username and passwords per device. If you fancy to go to the attractions such as the Louvre Museum better take a bus or taxi as it is around an hour walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comment. The entire reception staff speaks english to be able to help out our guests. For breakfast it is a great deal since its a buffet with different types of fruits, bread, pastries, yogurts, and ect. The location of our hotel makes it very accessible for our guest. We are glad that you had a great stay and we hope to see you soon.

Swansea
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend, I had previously read reviews on trip advisor so I knew what to expect. It is a typical 3 star hotel near the Gare Du Nord in Paris and everything about the hotel is ok. The reception staff are polite and friendly and speak English, the room was clean and a nice size, breakfast is included and is a selection of cereals, yoghurts, cold meats and cheese, orange juice and coffee. As the hotel is near the station it is very easy to get around Paris from here, which is a plus. On the whole a good value hotel in Paris.

The only negative is the area this hotel is in, I thought it was very dodgy and you need to be careful, I dont think it is particularly safe. Also the noise one night was horrific, there were sirens going all night so was impossible to sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
londres133, Responsable relations clients at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hello,

thank you very much for your positive comment, we are glad that you enjoyed our hotel.
Nowadays everywhere in Paris we can meet dangerous people. The plus of our localisation is that gare du nord is next to every touristic place, metro and many bus stations.

Hope that you will come back one day to visit us again :)

Kind regards,

Justine
Reception team
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night trip to Paris with my two sons. We stayed at the Avolon hotel as we were arriving on the Eurostar and didn't want to travel too far with our baggage. It was clean, friendly staff and good value. We stayed in a triple room. If you were a light sleeper you may hear the traffic but it didn't prevent us from having a good nights sleep. The beds were comfortable. The room was basic (no kettle so we took our own). Although there is a microwave and kettles in the breakfast area downstaires that you can use if you ask the receptionist. The breakfast was very nice and you could help yourself from 7am until 10am. You can catch a number 30 bus from outside the hotel which goes past the Arc de Triomphe and stops at the Eiffel tower. I found this easier than the metro with children. It is worth getting 10 tickets from the metro station for the bus or metro as they work out cheaper. I would happily stay at the Avalon again. If you walk up the road at the back of the hotel you can walk to the Sacre Coeur in about 15 minutes.

Room Tip: The triple room was a double and one single room and faced the main road. If you are a light sleepe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hazel s
londres133, Responsable relations clients at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel is the ideal place if you want to get around Paris as their are so many different buses that take you to the heart of Paris. We hope to see you again very soon.

and the rest of the staff
Ashford, Kent
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is ideally situated two minutes from the front door of the Gare de Nord. The reception man spoke Spanish to the people in front of me before dealing with me in perfect English.
There is free wifi.
It cost £80 for a night.
Other than that this place is just horrid.
We had a terrible nights sleep and I think we'd have been better off not spending the money and sleeping in the station. We were on the first floor right next to the bus stop. That was pleasant. On booking in I found myself behind 5 Spanish people. And there I stayed for about twenty minutes. Trying to check in at 5pm on a Saturday night and there was one receptionist. As I don't speak Spanish I had no idea what point if the transaction they were at. So I stood and waited. I wasn't acknowledged. No other member of staff came out. By the time their third credit card appeared to be rejected I thought maybe I should go somewhere else. Even one of the party made an uncomfortable smiled face at me. Eventually with a queue building behind me I was seen. No apology or acknowledgement of my wait. Very polite and friendly nevertheless. Amazing language skills and surely must be able to get a great job somewhere. Hopefully he's on a management programme!
At about 430 am, having only managed to get to sleep after midnight because of the buses, I was awoken by the first slamming door as those getting up for the early trains started their migration. It was like a bomb going off. And it continued until we left for our train. Sort the doors out so they don't slam for goodness sake. I've never known doors slam like it! Staying at this hotel was like hideous and thus though cheap an utter waste of money. I am exhausted as is my husband.
It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed February 2013
londres133, Responsable réception at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
We thank you very much for your comment and please accept our apologies for the long check-in and the inconvenient caused by the slamming doors.
The long check-in was provoked by the Spanish customers and the debit failure of their numerous credit cards. Due to our procedure, we are not allowed to give the keys for a room until we get payment. For the next time we will ask customers to withdrawal money from ATM machine to let the others get rooms earlier. We’ve made as well a round hotel to detect and repair all the slamming doors. Now it’s the past. Other noise is provoked by the traffic from boulevard Magenta, we are aware that the double glazing can be insufficient for sensible persons. To get pleasant stay we advice to contact reception before arrival or just after check-in to get a room on the back of the hotel.
Kind regards,
Marcin
FOM

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is perfect. Especially of travelling by Eurostar. Rooms
Spotlessly clean, everything you need for a good nights sleep. Breakfast was contiental and consisted of cereals, yogurts, tea coffee etc, a nice light meal for a hectic day and brilliant to line the stomach for the scary rides at disney! Close to tube and many local eateries and shops. Could be more central ie to the Eiffel Tower but if you wanna pay £100's more per night then go ahead. The corridors are small and the stairs narrow and the lift small, but does this effect sleep, comfort or cleanliness in the room no. If I return to paris I will certainly be back to the avalon!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Truthonlythanks
londres133, Responsable relations clients at Avalon Hotel Paris, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for your comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Indeed our hotel is a 5 minute walk from gare du nord and that is why most of our guest like to stay here. We look forward to your next visit.

and the rest of the staff