New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #513 of 1,812 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stay in this hotel for 3 night end of the August. Good location, friendly staff, specialy receptionis (sorry forgot name, hi is originaly german), the value for money. Bad point: chambermaid came in the room with no knoking in half an hours after we was checked in. Well we were not naked before taking a shower.

Room Tip: Room on 6th floor with balcony - comfortable for smokers.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lubova K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was the first one for some time where I ignored the reviews of tripadvisor in order to make the other party with us happy. Had I not done so!. The room for myself with four children was way to small, nowhere to hang things up, itstank of smoke in spite of the warnings everywhere. The shower, updated for wheelchairs, was for us without them unpleasant as the water coninually ran everywhere there being no separation between shower and the other area. As we arrived the price that I had been quoted moths earler was immediately challenged in an agressive manner- if i was the manager this person would not be working anymore in this hotel. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more light
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Realvalue1
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friend stayed at Campanile in the middle of August, in peak season and were really surprised by the cheap price for a hotel in such a good location - £63 per night for the first two nights and £53 for the second two nights for a twin room (without breakfast). Based on the fact the room was so cheap, I was a bit sceptical. However, I was very pleasantly surprised and the hotel delivered everything it promised.

The hotel is in a great location situation about 10 minutes walk from Bastille station and 3 minutes from Breguet Sabin and Chemin Vert. It was really easy to travel anywhere in Paris from here, and easy to walk to Notre Dame and the more interesting parts of the Seine. It was also a relatively clean and safe area, particularly in comparison to Republique and Montmatre which are other common place travellers on a budget stay.

The room itself was sufficient. The decor was very basic - particularly the carpet which was old and worn and discoloured, as were parts of the bathroom. The room and bathroom were, however, very clean, and the beds were comfortable with good quality bed linen which was more important for us. The room was also quiet and a decent size.

One thing I particularly liked about the hotel is that they provided a kettle, tea, coffee and sachets of milk with biscuits which was nice if you didn't want to opt for their paid for buffet breakfast. We didn't try the buffet breakfast but there was a nice outdoor courtyard area to eat the breakfast in, and it looked good.

The only thing I can complain about is the fact the lighting was somewhat dim, and no hand towels were provided. Otherwise, this hotel had everything else we needed (including wifi, a TV and helpful staff) at a really budget price. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This review is late, but I realized I had not done it already.
This hotel was picked because of ratings and reviews as well as a central location. My travel companion and I had not been to Paris before. We were two single ladies and obviously tourists from America. We booked our stay for Thanksgiving holiday for four nights. Our room was as expected, but had a view of the street. Since it was cool we left the windows open a bit at night. We could hear the busyness of the street but it was ok, we enjoyed it. Breakfast daily was lovely, one of the other reasons we picked it. Every morning and evening we walked to the train station. We also walked the area to restauramts and stores. The staff was gracious and quite forgiving as we did not speak ANY French. What we tried we were laughed at, and not in a bad way. The rooms were clean. As I stated we choose this location b/c we planned on seeing a diverse area of Paris and did not want to be too far away from anything. Train rides were no more than 20mns i"d like to say.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I subscribe entirely what has been said in most previous reviews concerning the strong points of this hotel. It is clean, it has quite decent prices and the staff is amiable and well disposed. It is also very conveniently located, at less than 100 meters from two metro stations, several bus lines and at a walking distance of several major sightseeing points, like place des Vosges, Notre Dame and la Ile de la Cité, and even the Louvre.
The nice supermarket at less than 20 meters is also really convenient. In fact, I did not have breakfast at the hotel restaurant, but in the room with the things bought at the supermarket.
I do not share the reviews concerning size of the rooms, but I must clarify that I had a four-people family room, so mine was a special case. For four people, the room was quite good in size, not cramped at all, but in the emergency evacuation plan it can be easily appreciated that, in comparison, other rooms looked tiny.
The size of the room is precisely the greatest strength of this hotel in my opinion. As most parents do know, it is quite difficult to find hotels offering family rooms for more than three people, in a good location in a major city and at reasonable prices. Most hotels only give the option to take two side-to-side rooms, giving a token discount around 10% at most, which, as can be imagined, is a very costly option if you want to spend several days at the hotel. Therefore, Campanile Bastille gets my full votes on that point.
Finally, I want to give my opinion on the area where the hotel is located, because I have read a previous review concerning the homeless people staying in the surroundings. The area itself is not specially bad, it is a middle class residential area with good looking buildings, medium level commerce and good restaurant options. It is true that a group of foreign paperless inmigrants seemed to be stablished around the area, but I have been walking around with two six year kids and my wife, some days at relatively late hours, and never felt the slightest sign of threat or risk to my personal security. They did not even beg. Unfortunately, homeless inmigrants seem to be a commom problem in most european major capitals, but I do not think that in this specific case it was specially acute or dangerous.
In summary, if you want to visit Paris with your family, this is a top option from the cost effective point of view.

Room Tip: Every floor seemed to have two big size family rooms. They are worth the price.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sirotley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

İ visited the hotel with my wife. İt was very good, good location to everywhere. the room was almost enough and has internet connection (wi-fi), ask for wi-fi to receiptonist.. Breakfast is 9 € for one day, for a person. The hotel is really very clean, no loud, No car loud..

The receptonists know english very well, some of them know also spanish and germanish..

the toilets and bath was very clean, and useful... room service every day, they chance every thing every day..

So if i go to Paris again, i really go to campanille 9 again...

1 Thank Agumus
Bathgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at the Campanile Bastille for 3 nights last week.
The hotel is clean, beds are comfortable but the room was quite small.
The housekeepers where constantly using customers lifts and it was really annoying as sometimes we had to wait longer for an empty lift.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends