“great location, cheap rooms & terrible view of the backyard.”
Review of Royal Phare Hotel

Royal Phare Hotel
Ranked #1,067 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel is near located to Eiffel Tower. Is just 7 min walk to the Eiffel. Right outside of hotel there is a lot of good restaurants. ATM og store located right beside the hotel.
But the hotel could need some improvement. The hotel rooms are very small. You have to walk sideways to past the bed on the way to bedroom. The elevator is the smallest personal elevator I have seen. First I wondered if it is an food elevator, but it`s actually space for 1 person and 1 bag.
This hotel is ok if you just want an cheap hotel for sleeping and storage of luggage.
There is no aircon on this hotel. It was very hot and almost impossible to sleep while because of the heat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Pretty much what other reviewers have said is mostly correct. Here are my differences for the 3 nights I spent. About 50 feet from the École Militaire stop on the Metro. You can take from CDG Terminal 2 the Metro and get to Ecole Militaire stop fairly easily and inexpensive. Public transportation in Paris is great. Also as others said a Carrefour City grocery is adjacent to the property. The Eiffel Tour is less than a mile. Easy walk. I didn't have any bed bugs. Heck yes the room is small but it was 1/2 the price of something else. My closet at home in America is just a little smaller. I've never seen a bathroom this small in my life. I was traveling alone so it was a good fit. No one stole anything from my room despite having a laptop out, etc. The elevator is 1 person 1 bag. Paris is like Manhattan it never stops. You need to open your windows to cool the room, which means you will hear the city all night. Just like Manhattan. cars honk at all hours, people party til dawn, I didn't hear too much. Ask for a fan at checkin during summer. It gets pretty warm but the room will cool off around midnight. Remember electricity is expensive in France and I don't expect with so much nearby that you'll want to hangout in the room sweating during July/August, other seasons should be fine. I bought breakfast at Carefour. The Internet was reliable enough to check email and Facebook in my room speeds averaged about 128K or less, they give you a coupon at checkin. You need 1 coupon per device (Laptop+Phone). Overall I would stay here again if traveling solo, and rate was 1/3 of other hotels. But it ain't no Marriott. Reminds me of a bad Days Inn in the USA. Just bearable enough being so close to central Paris. Front desk spoke pretty good English which was nice. I came back around 1am and someone buzzed me in door. Lobby is on second floor be prepared to carry your bag up, but I suggest leaving it on 1st floor near lift.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jaarons-32034
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed there from June 25th - July 2nd. I had read reviews prior and had some concerns, but after staying there and getting over my initial shock - it really was a very nice place. Yes, the rooms and elevator are small and yes, the decor/furnishings are quite a bit out of date. But! The rooms were always meticulouslly cleaned - beds were always freshly made. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. They helped us arrange a cab back to the airport (and the cost turned out less than when I had another hotel in the area do this for me on a previous trip - I think the hotel had a 15 Euro charge they added for themselves). The day and night staff at the front desk for the most part were very helpful and friendly (other than one young lady at the desk - who did not speak much English and this was probably why we had communication difficulties). The housekeeping staff were extremely friendly. We were on the 6th floor and my husband was impressed we could see the Eiffel tower - it was his first visit. We had two large and one medium suitcase and this made the room even smaller - but again, for 7 days, we managed in the room. Yes, there are other hotels in the area with a bit more square footage and newer curtains/beds (and which I have stayed at) - but for 108 E compared to 300 E - the room was a great deal. If you need a clean space and not fancy accommodations, Hotel Royal Phare is probably one of the best deals for this district. We kept our window open and did not need a fan; and still slept comfortably. Again, if you book - just remember the rooms are small and a bit dated - but they are clean, it's in a great area, and it was safe/secure. We had no problems with the Wi-Fi in our room - we just had to get our log-in code from the desk once and it worked the entire stay. I did have the shock of the bare bones type of room, when we first walked in - but I would stay there again! We never tried their breakfast - but then I rarely eat the hotel continental breakfast at the other hotels I have stayed at in Paris. With regards to the breakfast though - their price was extremely economical compared to the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Go for a higher room on the back of the building - get a view of the Eiffel tower and less noise fro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jeanette q
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in July. The location is perfect, next to a metro link, next door to a supermarket & about 5 minute walk from the effiel tower. The room did not have Air conditioning but it wasn't missed as you can leave the windows open and your provided with a fan. The lift is quite small. The room included a fridge & a hair dryer. I would say its worth taking cups & a travel plug. Great value overall for this area of Paris, I would recommend to all.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank andyhot15
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The location of this hotel cannot be faulted. It is situated in a lovely part of paris and the amount of cafes and restaurants near by is brilliant. There is a metro station, ATM and a supermarket literally on the front step. As with any European city hotel it was very basic but it was spotlessly clean and comfortable. There was a fridge in our room so we could stock it up from the supermarket next door. The reception and cleaning staff were very polite.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire M
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This hotel is in an amazing location for those seeking to see the cultural side of Paris while staying in a stylish area with lots of good restaurants, bars and shops. As it is right near the Eiffel Tower my girlfriend and myself enjoyed more than one picnic lunch in the park and the door to the hotel is directly outside a metro station so no long walks to more distant attractions.

If you are claustrophobic you might get a work out carrying your bags up the tight narrow staircase, as the lift is barely made for one, however after the delicious breakfast on offer for only €7.5 you might savour the chance to work off that extra croissant !

Staff are by friendly, rooms/bathrooms a bit tight (very small showers) but with fully opening windows with views of the Eiffel Tower it's hard to notice ! ( we were in room 54 with partial views, ask for a room on the same side but higher !)

Room Tip: We were in room 54 with partial views, ask for a room on the same side but higher !)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The location of this hotel was very handy, close to the metro and within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower! Unfortunately the rooms are tiny, with no extras, no kettle either! If you want to get to one side of the room to the other you have to climb over the bed as there is literally no room to walk around it. It would be okay for a night but if you're staying a couple days you might want to think again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple