“You get what you pay for!”
Review of Royal Phare Hotel

Royal Phare Hotel
Ranked #1,040 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We have stayed in Paris many time, usually in the Rue Cler area but we booked late and the hotel we usually use was full. We chose the Royal Phare because Rick Steves recommends it and because its location is the best for a stay in Paris. Rick recommends it as one of the least expensive hotels in the best location in Paris. He is right on. The location is perfect. There is a metro stop right outside the front door and, depending how much you like to walk, many of the sites in Paris are within walking distance. The Eiffel Tower is an easy 10 min. stroll, as is Les Invalides (Napolean's Tomb and beautiful gardens), the Seine and the Bateaux Mouche boat cruises are about the same distance, as is the RER train stop (direct link to Versaille). We also walked to the Musee D'Orsay, the Louvre, and the Left Bank to do a walking tour all within about 20 min. walk. The breakfasts at the hotel are typical (7.5 Euros) of most hotels. If you want more than one coffee and a croissant it is a better deal than the local cafes, if not, try the bakeshops and cafes. This ares also has MANY fine restaurants within five minutes walk.

As to the hotel itself, the rooms are small and plain. There is an elevator (holds two people or one person and luggage) and it is very slow. If you don't like stairs this is not the place for you. We booked two rooms and we did not find any uncleanliness in either room. We also found the people at the front desk to be pleasant and helpful. This is probably not a hotel that we will use in Paris next time simply because we are willing to pay a little more for more comfortable surroundings. However, the location is excellent and we did not feel cheated. We simply paid less and got what we paid for.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs ask for an upper room away from the street. They are quiet and have a l...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Razzle2
There are newer reviews for Royal Phare Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Apparently "phare" is French for "dump." The threadbare carpeting hasn't been changed since the German occupation. The locale is nice, but dozens of other hotels in the vicinity make this a place of last resort. A better option is to find a clean, modern hotel a little farther out. Ten minutes on the Metro puts you on the doorstep of far superior accommodations at a comparable price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Phare for just one evening in March, 2012. We stayed at a Marriott for 4 days but wanted to be close to the Metro for an early morning flight home so I booked 1 night here. We stayed here 3 years ago and agree the location was excellent. Rick Steeves lists this hotel in his guide book and we chose it to be close to the Eiffel Tower, transportation, shopping etc. We didn't expect much more than basic accommodations, which is what we got. Tight shower & elevator but at least it was clean. That was Sept. 2009, this time we were afraid to remove our shoes or sit on the bedspread! We wanted to be sure not to miss our flight so we requested a wake up call upon check-in and again before going up for the night. NO WAKE-UP CALL!! My inner clock was the only thing working and as we scrambled out the door and to the Metro, we saw the hotel clerk just arriving! There are ALOT of other hotels in a 1/2 mile radius of this place for the same price so if you plan a couple months in advance, you should have no problem getting a reservation elsewhere. They say you aren't in Paris to stay in your hotel but you will have to at least sleep in your room and just the look of the place could keep you awake! Only good thing I can report about this place is the internet service and the staff helping me sign on.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank redcavalier
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Hotel Royal Phare on Ave. de la Motte Picquet:
1. Good location with Metro Stop in front of it and near Eiffel Tower
2. Awfully old room
3. Awfully moldy bathroom with black mold in the grout ( and they charge extra for a bath too)
4. Paper-thin walls so I could hear the American lady in the next room go on and on complaining about Viber
5. You hear drunks and breaking bottles from the street
6. The worst thing about this hotel is the surly and rude manager/ receptionist who insisted on charging me for two rooms (when I requested to switch so I checked out and moved) and was just rude and short-tempered and generally unfit to manning the reception. Beware of him... He is there during the day!

Do not book this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 9, 2012

great location
bellow the average service
good for less demanding visitors

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I would give an excellant rating but refrained only because there may be a better one available out there in the price range. But I have no complaints. For the price we paid and the room we got (partial view of the Eiffel tower), the generous continental breakfast that was served for about 10 Euros and a great location, I am very happy with this hotel. When I go to Paris again, I will definitely stay here.
About the room - was surprised that the room and the bathroom were more spacious than I was expecting. The room window faced the Eiffel tower ( I don't exactly remember the room number but it was on the 6th floor. Make sure you tell the hotel you want a room facing the tower. I think the rooms across from ours face the street. There is a charge for Internet connection.
The buffet style continental breakfast served every morning included tea, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, milk, cereal, eggs, cold cuts, cheese and a variety of fresh rolls and bread. All this for about $10 Euros! Outside the hotel, you'd get a cup of espresso and a croissant or less for that price.
The hotel is above a pharmacy, a market and an ATM machine (very convenient). It is minutes from a subway station and Eiffel tower grounds.
The only negative thing about this hotel - the lift (elevator) is so small, you may have to make a few trips up and down just to get your luggage and yourself to the room. The winding stairs don't help either. Being on the 6th floor, walking up the stairs was quite a challenge for tired legs after my day trips but a great fat burner for my overstuffed belly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and yes, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Budapest5
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We couldn't have been happier with our stay first time in Paris. The location was perfect! The Metro is right outside the door, Eiffel Tower is right around the corner, there's a grocery store next door, & cafes all around. The hotel itself is basic, but very nice! Staff was extremely friendly and rooms were comfortable. We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends