“Terrible Service, disgusting ablutions”
Review of Le Village Hostel

Le Village Hostel
Ranked #6 of 192 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was our last night after 3 weeks backpacking around Europe with my girlfriend, and what an awful night to finish off an amazing trip. We got into paris mid morning after catching an overnight train from Rome. although check out wasn't until 4pm, we hoped to ditch our bags, brush our teeth and head out. The staff were very rude when we asked if we could quickly brush our teeth somewhere, and only very begrudgingly let us do it in the kitchen sink. We had booked our own room and en suite to finish the trip in a bit of comfort, however the room we were given had no en suite (despite paying for one). After telling the reception this, he basically told us were stupid and obviously hadn't found the door in our room. After asking him to see for himself, he acknowledged that he had given us the wrong room but that there were no other rooms available. The shared ablutions were disgusting, covered in all sorts of human waste that again the management did not seem phased about. Not recommended!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Oliver W
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

bonjour,

To answering to your reveiw we inform you the checkin is at 4pm and check out 11 am. You can be sure if we have the room ready the guest can checkin before 4pm. If we ask you to use the sink in the kitchen is because we don't have other option when you arrive in morning because you cannot acces to the part of the room for the respect and security of the guest who are already here. but I m sure if we switch the role that you accept the new guest can use the bathroom but all guest are not the same. For the share bathroom we are sorry if you find some humain things !! but we don't have cleaner in the hostel 24h. But next time reserve a private room with facilities and I sure your mind change. And if you say the staff is rude I suppose may be you are little unpleasant when we ask you the room are ready at 4 pm because you travelled all the night and I understand is not confotable to sleep in train, but you can sure we try to do the best ever.

Best regards

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hostel is in Monmarte area and very close to Sacre-Coeur. The staff were friendly and helpful, Wi-Fi connection wasn't available in rooms. Considering other hostels, I think this was great value! I would reccommend this hostel to my friends and other travelers!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Bonjour,
Thanks For stay in Paris with us.
I see you ejoy your stay in paris It's cool.
For the wifi We know it's not working in the room like this people can meet together in the lobby.

See you next time

Take care

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Hostel was terrible ... We were booked for 2 nights in June.
We got there a little late the first night as we were coming on a late flight from Madrid. We checked in fine and after reading such good reviews on this site, we were expecting a lot more. We go upstairs being extremely tired, we get to our room (which was 8 people/room) and unpack. We try to send some messages/emails and find out that the internet only works on the ground floor so we go back downstairs for crappy internet service. We go back upstairs as it was really late and we had a big day planned. I try to get on my bunk (I was on the top bunk) and realize that there isn't a ladder there and there is one wobbly chair, and I use that to hoist myself up. The bed also didn't have a railing, so if I rolled in my sleep, I would have fallen off the bed. Needless to say, woke up the next morning (for my first day in Paris) lacking sleep and having a backache. That was fine, it's a hostel and I didn't expect much. I went downstairs to ask the guy at the front about switching rooms because of the bed/lack of ladder/ lack of railing and he tells me to use a chair.... great service right, so I tell him about the wobbly chair and how difficult it was as IT MOVES. He told me to take another wooden chair up. I get that I could do it myself, but as he was a staff member, and he had a guest who paid to be there in that awful place, he should have offered to take it upstairs. Anyway, I get back upstairs (with my chair) and I find out the shower is cold. I go back down and ask if there is a specific time we should use it and he says "no. that's what's there" Useful. At this point, it was just an awful place to stay, and he refused to do anything about the bed. We actually had to go and stay elsewhere for the second night or else our entire trip to Paris would have been ruined. The worst part was definitely the bed as it was just a dangerous situation and the staff was just so unapologetic. I would highly recommend that you find some place else to stay. We ended up staying closer to the city center and it was more expensive, but a wonderful place overall. As students, who are already low on funds to begin with, alongside the fact that we were technically only expecting about 4-5 hours of sleep because we wanted to make the most of our trip, we still opted to stay somewhere else and lose the money we paid for that second night. It was that bad. FYI, when we asked the same incompetent person at the desk for a way to contact management we were told that he was on vacation, the second time we asked so we could contact him when we got back home, we were told that management doesn't answer his phone...

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Sarah V
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Bonjour,

We are completly sorry for the inconvenience of your bed. we modifie it . But ou must understand if we cannot change your room it's because we are are fully booked. I can assure you that no one fell out of bed and you could get into your bed by the front of the bed.
For internet is indicated every where that it's working only in the lobby.
For the shower the hot water working correctly I suppose at this time so much people use the hot water in the same time but it'sextremely unusual.
Sorry to to take vacation but I hope when you wake up early you have enough time to visit paris in 2 days.

Best regards

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Came here for a night after returning from a late flight in from Morocco. I checked in late, and although had to wait outside the door for 20 minutes to get inside, I was still happy enough, it seemed like an honest mistake. I get there at 11 pm and they hand me the sheets and towels in a bag, and I get to my room with 4 others there already sleeping, so I couldn't make my bed without waking them. OK, that could all be my fault

The next morning, they woke us up early with a man coming to repair the bathroom, and pressured me into checking out early. I just wanted to lie down for a few minutes before I wait for my train. They were really disrespectful to me on checkout, and were not understanding that I did not immediately know where to put my linens. The place is fine, I guess, I just really hated the people working there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nick T
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Bonjour,

For your complain of your stay, it's very stange that you wait 20 mn outside of the hostel when you check in. If you ring outside we open th door immediatly except if the receptionist is in room to help guest. But at this time there is other guest and generally they advise us someone wait out side. And for the security I sure you understand we must to close the entrance. But I check with the guy who work this night.
In the hostel we give you the bed sheets at the check in so if you come late sure people try to make their bed without noise but generally is like this in dormitory, is not like a private room.
For the check out is at 11 am so at this time if people don't check out we must advise them and for information the technical service can acces to the room around 10.30 am not early.
I sure you know in some hostel there is a curfew and all people must to leave the hostel at an hour, so In le village hostel we don't want curfew because some guet go daning and they come back very early so with no curfew they can sleep late but they know the people can access to the room for repare something or clean it for the new guest. this situation is only for the dormitory.
So for you next travel try to reserve a private like this you can compare the both type of the room.
So don't be rude with the staff they just respect the rules.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I went to Paris last December and stayed here for three nights. I had just gotten over a terrible sinusitis/bronchitis and had to sleep a great deal the first day. I was staying with three other girls, but I slept soundly and was barely bothered. When I was better, I really enjoyed sitting on the patio, and the location was pretty awesome. You can walk to Montemartre (definitely worth it at least once) or the train is down the street, less than a quarter of a mile. I was new to Paris and had no trouble finding it. I also felt safe and immediately met some truly fascinating and nice people. This hostel was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thanks to stay with us.
If you come back again to paris try to come in the summer like this you can have a BBQ on the terrace sometimes we made tis for our guest on the terrace.

See you nexttime and Take Care kristen.....

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights over the Christmas/new years period. Very reasonably priced for Paris and the holiday period. I liked its homey feel. It's quite quirky looking which is nice. My room was spacious and clean. Beds were comfortable. Wifi was strong. Breakfast was delicious. The staff were all really friendly, happy to direct you places etc.
overall a very pleasant stay and will stay again

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed at Le Village for just one night and it was just fine. The 4 bed dorm had sufficient space. Our room was at the terrace on first floor so it provided an open space to hangout. The room was clean which was most important for me. Didn't find much time or need to interact with the hostel staff so i cannot comment on that. Also, missed the breakfast because we had an early morning train to catch. The hostel was very close to the metro station which was advantageous.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room on terrace with a view of Sacre Coeur.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends