“Location, location, location...”
Review of Hotel Marignan

Hotel Marignan
Ranked #519 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 29, 2012

That has always been the unofficial motto of the Marignan, I think, and of course it's true. Two nearby metros to choose from, an easy walk to Notre Dame, the Sorbonne, Jardin de Luxembourg, Shakespeare & Co, the Rue Mouffetard,....a thrice-weekly street market 2 blocks away...loads of small grocery stores, patisseries, wine shops, and every other kind of food store you could want...many, many restaurants and cafes, etc. etc. ..And yet set on a very quiet side street, with very little traffic or other exterior noise.

I have now stayed at the Marignan 15 times, I think. Because of leading various student groups, I once held the record for most consecutive annual stays. Perhaps I still do, but no matter. What matters is that I have watched it change and grow from a work-in-progress to what it is now - Probably the very best "Budget Accommodation" in the city. Very nice rooms, a charming decor, and comfy beds. The staff is extremelyy helpful, the owners superb, and for the price, the rooms truly delightful. As is the more than century-old building. A French balcony overlooking Parisian rooftops and an interesting street scene? Really? For that price?

Yes, that scene does come with what might be a put-off for some - a shared bathroom. But they are very clean, the ratio is such that there is almost never a conflict (And the true answer is "never" for us, but I can't speak for everyone's experience), and besides, each room has a sink for water, brushing teeth, etc. And baths-in-room (en suite) are available. For us that would be money foolishly spent, but I understand others might not share that view.

Some have mentioned the breakfast. For us it is a perfect way to start the day. Very good coffee (plentiful too!) and crunchy baguettes with strawberry jam, butter, and/or nutella. Love it! If you want, there is also orange juice and fruit cocktail...and of course you can also supplement with whatever you want by just popping down to one of several markets down the block and picking up a stuffed croissant, pastry, fresh fruit, or whatever. Plus the breakfast room is available later in the day if you choose to use it for a snack, a lunch, or even a dinner.

We are dedicated budget travelers, and the Hotel Marignan is the best of the best. If I knew when our next stay in Paris was going to be, I would book our room right now. Congratulations and Merci Beaucoup to Paul, to Roland, and to all the staff!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank playaguya

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My Girl Guide group of 7 stayed in 2 rooms here in July. We found this hotel through Trip Advisor.
This hotel is in a great location, close to multiple transit options and sites like Notre Dame, Louvre and more. The area is vibrant and affordable.
Our rooms were spacious and clean. They had an air conditioner, but we didn't need to use them. We each had a bathroom with a sink and toilet. The shower was next door. I'm not sure if it was just for us to use, or if it was just a coincidence that no one else ever was. The shower was large and clean. The staff are all characteristic and eager to help. Especially enjoyed the Australian girl (sorry I can't remember her name) who gave us extra hints and recommendations.
The hotel has free laundry! Had been dubious about this prior to arrival, but even though the regular guest washer was broken, they let us use the hotel one. Even supplied the detergent! Was a really welcome extra. Breakfast was hot chocolate/coffee/tea baguette, jam, cheese, juice and fruit cocktail. Was all good.
As advertised, the hotel has no elevator and at least 6 floors. I can't say we were always thrilled to climb the stairs at the end of the day, but the lack of elevator would not stop us from returning. Just helped you feel more ready for bed!
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to family and friends and hope to return ourselves!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AuntyLeo
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice this year and would highly recommend it! It's in the heart of the latin quarter; Notre Dame is just down the road, as are countless retaurants and cafes. Plus the local metro (Cluny- La Sorbonne) is linked to the RER train station to Charles De Gaulle airport, which will save you a fortune on cabs. The hotel provides free wifi, laundrette & kitchen. The breakfast is quite meagre but sufficient for those who prefer to indulge at lunch instead, considering the vast array of pattiseries and boulangeries in the area, you will never be short of choice. The staff are very friendly and helpful. It's a great value hotel!!!

Room Tip: There's no lift, so be prepared to carry suitacases
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I've stayed here twice and couldn't be happier with the place. The location is phenomenal and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. We loved the complementary breakfast as well. They let you use the washer and dryer, and you have kitchen access which is great. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Rooms were small, but they are everywhere in Paris at this price. Good value, very helpful people, great location. Good price for 4 people

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I very much enjoyed my stay at Hotel Marignan. The staff were exceedingly friendly and good-natured, always ready and on-hand to answer questions and provide suggestions for visits, restaurants, etc. The rooms were more than adequate, especially considering the price. The bed was comfortable, the restrooms were clean, and the showers were much larger than excepted. The stairs are a bit of a hassle when carrying heavy luggage, but the staff were eager to help (and I didn't even ask!). The location couldn't be better - several different metro stations are nearby, providing access to all of Paris. There's really no need to leave the neighborhood, though, as there are plenty of museums and landmarks to visit by foot. There's also plenty of shopping to do, as well as numerous restaurants for all budgets. Without a doubt, I plan on staying here again during future visits to Paris, and I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank juleepizza
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in a double with share facilities. We were on the first floor which I would advise to request if you do not like climbing stairs as there is no lift.
The shared shower room and toilet were never an issue as we shared with only one other room.
Hotel is very clean with helpful staff and adequate breakfast.
The position is ideal for walking to all the attractions in Paris. We only used the metro at night after walking all day.
The "common" room,where breakfast was served, was a great meeting place to chat with other guests, particularly at night to compare notes on our experiences that day.

The laundry, free of charge, was a welcome bonus and also the use of the kitchen and fridges if you needed to cook or have a cuppa.

The only complaint I would make was the thin walls in the bedrooms where we could hear the conversations next door.I would highly recommend ear plugs for that reason.

This hotel is very popular and is booked up for months so you need to book early.
We met the very friendly owner one evening and he gave us a very nice coffee table book on Paris. Thanks Roland.

This is one hotel I will certainly recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple