Caulaincourt Square Hostel
  • Fitness center
$1,653
$1,182
  • Pool
All reviewssacre coeurcroissantsmetro stationbed female dormmontmartre areawe stayed in a double roomfree breakfast ismoulin rougecouple of nightseiffel towercomputersbackpackerssupermarketpatisserieeuro
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The hostel was in a pretty area and very close to the metro which was very convenient, but it did have it's drawbacks. The shower was cold and sometimes the water would just turn off. The bathroom and toilet were small so you were a little cramped for space. Breakfast was included which was nice, but it was only a croissant, another piece of bread, toast, and cereal. The female staff members were the most helpful while the males tended to be rude and did not understand English very well. I would recommend staying in the Montmartre area but not in this hostel.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I went with my partner for a midweek trip to Paris for two nights. When looking for a place to stay, I was looking for cheaper options but with good transport links to the rest of Paris, which I am happy to say I found in the Caulaincourt Square Hostel (also called the Caulaincourt Boutique Hostel, which is a tad confusing when searching for the place). First impression was good as it was a couple of minutes walk from the Metro, though I wish we had found out beforehand about the other way to get to the hostel that didn't involve climbing the extremely steep steps with our suitcases! Note to anyone walking from the Metro to the hostel, go up the steps directly outside the station and turn right, it'll skip out a rather tiring set of steps.

The man behind the counter seemed friendly if not a bit reserved, but he gave us all the information we needed. Our room was on the first floor, the first impression was that it was a bit bland and basic, nothing like the main photo that the hostel shows on their Trip Advisor. Still, the room was fine, it had a small bathroom and separate shower room that were clean and had fresh towels provided every day. The room had a tv, phone, hanging rail and two chairs in, which was more then adequate as we spent most of the day out and about. We didn't have any breakfast in the hostel so I can't comment on the catering facilities, but I can say that there is an absolutely lovely patisserie just outside the hostel that we got our breakfast from (they do a divine pain au chocolate).

The area itself is quiet and well-stocked with supermarkets, pharmacies, etc. It's a short walk from Sacre Coeur and has some excellent views of Paris. Be prepared for a lot of hills and steps to climb, but it's worth it.

All in all, the hostel is great value for money and is well placed if you want to explore both the area and Paris, and the Metro is a short distance and cheap. One side note however - the nearby Metro station has a lift that takes you to the platform and that you have to wait a good few minutes for when going back up. Be wary of quiet times, especially if you're alone or a couple, as we had an experience getting cornered waiting for the lift by someone demanding money. Stay with the crowd and consider taking the stairs instead of waiting for the lift. This doesn't have anything to do with the hostel, but it's worth taking note of this as it's the station that you will use the most staying here. So as to not end on a bad note, the Caulaincourt Square Hostel is a lovely little place with good facilities, definitely worth a look at if considering a stay in Paris.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Sam B
Reviewed February 26, 2014

As far as price & location goes, this hostel lives up to its advertisements. It's only a 10 minute walk from the Lamark-Caulaincourt metro station (your calves will get a workout, though - just a warning!) & also within a 10-15 minute walk of the picturesque, quaint center of the Montmartre area & the beautiful Sacre Coeur overlook. Fantastic location. Factoring in the price, which was just over 20 euros a night for the all-female dorm I chose, it's a decent deal.

The hostel itself, however, could use some improvement. The building is pretty, the rooms are decently well-kept (minus the strange hairs on the bed when I arrived) & the staff were helpful, but - MAJOR complaint - it definitely felt more like a hotel than a hostel. There was no sense of community whatsoever! My friend that I traveled with had been staying in the hostel for three days before I arrived & said she only met two girls during her entire visit. There was no place to mingle or to chat or meet people, so my guess is that people just went to their rooms. Kind of a bummer, because I choose hostels when I travel for the price but also for the ability to meet other travelers around my age.

Caulaincourt calls itself a hostel because of its inexpensive prices & its basic dorm-like amenities, but it'd probably a better idea to just upgrade to "really cheap hotel" status. That would be a more accurate description. Caulaincourt Square Hostel would be ideal for someone looking for privacy & a cheap place to sleep in the center of Paris. For a real hostel experience, though, I'd venture elsewhere.

Room Tip: One thing to consider: it's an old building with no elevator & a steep, winding, wooden staircase. Maybe request a room on the main floor if you have bags - those steps could be quite tricky with big suitcases.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank caterenee
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

This hostel was a very nice experience. The location is very good, in a more residential (and thus calmer) neighborhood.

The staff was extremely kind. Room was clean and cozy. And wifi was super fast.

Finally, breakfast was very well served (for hostel standards).

Reviewed February 7, 2014

It was not easy to find the hostel right away in the night, but we'd made it!

The area is beautiful, the building itself as well. We had travelled in a group of 5 and we stayed in 6 people room, but there was not enough space for all of us standing together. Not bad quality of beds, but the shower could have been better ;). Breakfast is included and it is enough for anyone, nothing to complain about.

Well, the hostel is ok for its price and location and I might come back again sometime if I would be low on budget.

Room Tip: We didn't have an option to choose: no elevator and many steps down the ladder, watch out!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends