“EXCEPTIONAL...Our Best Dinner in Paris”
Review of Le Chemise

Le Chemise
Reserve with
Le Chemise is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 17,611 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Description: Le Chemise is a small and intimate restaurant; in the kitchen, a young & talented chef, Cedric Lacaze, proposes trendy traditional & delicious French food. Perfectly located between Republique & Oberkampf Metro stations, discover this small restaurant with great ambiance and service.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Le Chemise is located almost directly across Rue de Malt from where my wife & I were staying at Hotel Le Mareuil for seven nights.

When we walked past the restaurant on Friday and Saturday evenings, it was packed (always a good sign), so we read some recent reviews here on TripAdviser, and then asked the hotel to make a dinner reservation for us for Wednesday evening.

When we entered the restaurant, Fabien (one of the owners of Le Chemise) greeted my wife & me as if we were friends, and thanked us for having chosen to dine at Le Chemise. The menu is in French (which my wife & I do not speak or read at all), so Fabien took the time to explain each and every course to us.

As we often do, we shared a first course, choosing the prawn ravioli in a light red curry sauce. This dish was sublime, with the ravioli cooked to perfection, the prawns firm and fresh, with the curry adding flavour but not overwhelming the prawns.

Fabien highly recommended the fresh fish of the day, so both my wife & I ordered this as our mains, and we weren't disappointed. The filets of sea bass were beautifully presented, and accompanied with fresh asparagus which had been cooked perfectly, and added to the visual appearance of the meal.

Service was exemplary, and the wine list offered good choice, and great value for money.

Le Chemise is proof-positive that you don't always need to dine at a Michelin-starred restaurant to get outstanding food, excellent service, and an EXCEPTIONAL dining experience.

Thank you Fabien and team...!

1  Thank Charles S

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I were in the mood for a French dinner, so he looked up reviews for good restaurants around our hotel. This one had the best reviews and happened to be right across the street. We walked in and the man who seated us and served us couldn't have been more attentive and helpful. The menu was in French, we do not speak French, and our server was very patient with us as he explained each dish. We ordered the asparagus, salmon, and foie gras appetizers, and all were amazing. For our entree, we shared the beef with shallots and french fries, also amazing. Dessert was creme brulee (two good-sized portions) and French Toast. You guessed it, amazing. We traveled for nine days to London and then Paris, and this was probably our favorite meal of the trip.

1  Thank Cynthia A
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This unassuming small restaurant may not get your attention from the road side but the reviews it gets are really well deserved. They do all the small things right and the big things (like taste) take care of themselves.
The menu is small, but the quality is high. You can really tell that every item is made fresh that day and that there is not a microwave on site. The flavours that have combined together really make every dish delicious.
We had the sea bass and the fillet steak, both of which could of been a signature dish. Where my wife doesn't ever finish her meals I got a real good taste both, happy days.
On top of the great food you also get great service. The waiter and waitress really made positive efforts to explain the menu and make our choices easier for us.
All in all this is a well priced little restaurant that ticks every box. It's well worth finding and making a trek on the metro to get there. When we return to Paris we will be stopping in for our evening meal.

1  Thank JamesCollinsWorld
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I try to go for lunch to places first in order to know if I would go back at night. Usually the lunch food tells you more about the restaurant. This restaurant is a must for lunch if near by or if willing to eat well and light for lunch. I call in first since it was late already and they said if now they will wait if later they will close and I appreciated they waited. the restaurant deco is very nice armchairs and small coaches give it a special New York style but when it comes to food, then you know the chef knows. Since we were late we decided to take the menu and it was perfect. the choice are simple and satisfy the taste of everyone. My wife had the veloute and I had the chevre pastry, then we followed by a chicken basmati and finished with cheescake and . All the dishes were well balanced and tasty, did not need to add or substract anything really brilliant. the portion are very reasonable, if you want quantities then go somewhere else. The place is for lunch not for a day meal. The cheese pastry was light and you need to eat from the center because the chevre is there and if you eat the side first you might miss the cheese and eat only filo. The veloute was perfectsofter than the chevre but well spiced. The chicken curry basmati was so onctuous in structure and with a tingle of spice for waking up the taste buds. Really a marvel, reminded me some very good Thai dishes. on the dessert my wife took the right one. I took the cheesecake it was good but not what I expected, reminded me more of a strawberry mousse cheesecake, it was good but not as the rest of the dishes. In any case the combination was perfect with a very reasonable price and a very good service and a nice young team. A place to visit. I will try to go back at night I have seen a few items of interest to me.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Was absolutely delicious and the staff was incredibly nice and accommodating. They helped us with the menu and made some great recommendations. We had the Chateaubriand and Cod Steak, both were fantastic. Don't miss this place if you are in Paris.