Paris by Mouth Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 183 Food & Drink in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: As food writers, it’s our job to devour delicious things and to understand what makes them special. The Wall Street Journal recently called us “the definitive blog on the city’s food and wine scene,” and we’re now using that knowledge to lead tasting tours through the most exceptional shops in Paris. Our tours run every day of the week, even Sunday and Monday, and our prices are affordable.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our Tour de Fromage with Meg from Paris by Mouth, and found it to be a highlight of our Paris visit. Meg was very knowledgeable about the cheeses we tried and had excellent relationships with the stores we visited. I appreciated that there was no set list of cheese we had to try—if you saw a cheese and liked the look of it, Meg was happy to buy it! There was plenty of cheese to sample, plus some wine, and we could even take the cheese home at the end.
Meg was also willing to answer any questions we had about Paris, and made some excellent restaurant recommendations.

1  Thank DanB100
Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)
All reviews
in 113 reviews
"jacques genin"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We met Sara, our lovely guide in Saint Germain on a very cold January morning (-4 C). We quickly made our way into one of the oldest bakeries in Paris to warm up and learn why the bread is so legendary. (They still use the same yeast that has been in the family for decades). Sara took us for a lovely and very cold walk around Saint Germain. She picked up many delightful delicacies at each our stops. We discovered the the best bakery, best place for cheese, macaroons, chocolates, carmel, deserts and wine. As you can imagine it was a foodies fun day in Paris!!! We finished up our tour in a great little wine shop to sample all the goodies Sara collected along the way and paired them with various wines. We met Patty at the wine shop, she was knowledgable and full of personality. There were 6 people and a baby all total in our tour. Sara was fun and willing to share any information along the way. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and the food was over the top. I travel to Paris often and plan to try out some of the other tours from Paris by Mouth. My only regret was not buying a case of wine while at the wine shop. We meant to go back but never did. If you love food and want to try out the best of Paris this is the tour for you. I love Paris by Mouth, it is my "go to" before every trip to Paris.

4  Thank HawaiiWang
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was very excited to book the Best of the Marais tour. Though our tour guide was very knowledgeable about food, she was completely unprepared which completely ruined the experience.

We went in August when many shops that are usually on the Marais tour are closed. They had mentioned this when we booked the tour and so I mistakenly thought that they would have made alternate arrangements. We met our guide in front of Dalloyau, a shop famous for their opera cake (which we did not get to try), but we did try their croissants (plain and almond) and baguette. Our guide had not tried their croissants or baguettes before we went. She told us that she did not know whether or not the croissants or baguettes would be any good but assumed they would be because their pastries are good. Luckily, the croissants were good. More on the baguette later.

Next we walked to a nearby market where we walked from stall to stall picking up various items for our picnic at the end of the tour. We spent approximately an hour at the market where our guide explained the differences between organic, biodynamic, and conventional stands. She also told us about the pates, brie, comte, and goats cheeses that we purchased. At the end of the tour, we picked up a rotisserie chicken from one of stands, stopped by a supermarket for some water, and then went to the courtyard of a nearby apartment building (not sure we were allowed to be there) and literally had a picnic which consisted of cheese, pate, strawberries, rotisserie chicken, and wine that the guide provided.

She opened the baguette we had purchased earlier in the morning. Apparently, it was not a very good specimen. The air bubbles were not large enough or random enough. She had also purchased a baguette from a shop near her before she arrived to show us what a poor example of a baguette looks like. So, on our tour, we tried a poor example of a baguette, and an ok example of a baguette. Though I now know what a mediocre baguette is like, I still don't know what an amazing baguette is supposed to look or taste like because I never got to try one.

The food that we had the market was tasty but I am not sure why I spent so much money on a tour that we could have done on our own. We would have been able to try all of things just wandering through the market ourselves. If we spoke French, we would not have needed her at all, we would have been able to get the information from the vendors. However, since we did not speak French, it was helpful having someone there explain the things we were trying hence the one star for this tour.

The highlight of the tour was the last stop to Jacques Genin Patisseries. They are famous for their caramels, especially their passion fruit mango caramels. I've never tasted anything quite like them. The flavors of the passion fruit and mango were intense but not overpowering. No trip to Paris would be complete without a trip to this shop.

Overall, I wish that our guide had been better prepared. Our guide had not tried the items that she bought for us beforehand. She spent some time explaining how the food we were eating could have been better. I can have mediocre French food anywhere. They knew places would be closed for the summer. Our guide should have gone to the Marais ahead of time and tried the food at the places that she had taken us. If I am in Paris, I want to try the best. Plus, we left unsatisfied. We were hungry again within an hour of our tour.

10  Thank kawainekko7
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Meg was our wonderful tour guide for two private tours this past trip to Paris in January 2013. My mom and her sisters had used Meg before and just raved about her and her knowledge. This was my first time meeting sweet Meg and I was blown away. She is professional, knowledgable, enthusiastic about her work, has built relationships with vendors and is truly the best tour guide ever. Meg builds the tour around YOU. If you want to eat more chocolate, then she takes you to more chocolatiers. If you want to learn more about cheese, then to the very best cheesemongers you go! She is not only lovely to be around, but an expert in her field. I would recommend her over and over again to friends and anyone visiting Paris. She is a GEM and we are so lucky to have gotten to know her!