“Not for me...”

Hotel Saint-Jacques
Ranked #351 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I booked the hotel directly for a Valentines surprise for my wife and based my choice on the TripAdvisor reviews, the hotels location and it's website.

We took the RER from CDG and it worked well with an easy walk from the Luxembourg metro stop.

The St. Jacques reception area was clean, well presented and with a tiny bar area. However, it was a disappointment that the receptionist chose to continue speaking on the telephone as we booked in and we got a very cursory welcome.

I had requested a superior room with bath and balcony and, whilst the room was pleasantly decorated and the balcony was there, we had to put up with a very small shower which had seen better days. The room had a smallish flat screen TV, a sofa and a wardrobe that would struggle to hold more than 3 days worth of clothes.

Another downside of the room (#7) was that the double glazed door to the balcony did nothing to cut out the noise from the street outside.

We had another noise issue from the room above us (#12) and the hotel did not handle this well at all. We totally accept that noise does travel from room to room and sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you are not. However, when it sounds like a herd of elephants are moving backwards and forwards across your ceiling, enough is enough.

We heard the occupant(s) noisily return around midnight on our first night and they disturbed our sleep. I went downstairs to ask the receptionist to ask them to be quiet and he rang the offending room without getting a reply. He did get a reply from another room the family had booked with the lady saying she would turn her TV down....however this was not the problem. The noise above us subsided until we again were awoken at 5:30am as the 'elephants' again began their march across our ceiling.

I went down to reception to complain yet again and found the offending 'elephant' in reception. He couldn't have cared less and gave just a cursory apology with a shrug of the shoulders. Worse still, the receptionist said nothing to him.

Perhaps if the receptionist had made more effort to solve the initial complaint the second incident might not have occured - quite why he didn't think of going up to knock on the door was a mystery.

On reflection I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank MikeLaw
There are newer reviews for Hotel Saint-Jacques

Reviewed December 31, 2006

We stayed at the St. Jacques over Christmas. I spent weeks searching for the perfect hotel before finally deciding on the St. Jacques. I am so glad that I did! This was our third time to Paris, and I was looking for a hotel with charm and uniqeness, something very Parisian. It also needed to be within a reasonable price range. The St. Jacques fit all of these perfectly, and it was even better in person than in the pictures.

The decor was above my expectations, the staff were very friendly, and it was very quiet in an excellent part of town.
It was a five minute walk to the Notre Dame, and there are several good restaurants around. The Latin Quarter is a great part of town to stay in. The restaurant next door the Petit Perigourdine is especially good. We also enjoyed walking up to the Pantheon and to the Jardin to Luxembourg, only a five minute walk.

This has got to be one of the best deals in town, the price is so good and the atmosphere cant be beat! The only negative thing I have to say is that if your rate includes breakfast you are only allowed to order the small "plaisir" breakfast for free. We did not know this, we were not informed until the day we checked out and had to pay for the difference for the "gourmand" breakfasts we ordered.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2006
16  Thank erinireland
Reviewed December 18, 2006

My wife and I spent three wonderful days in Paris staying at Hotel St Jaques.

The location was ideal. From our tiny balcony we could look left to the Pantheon and to the right to Notre Dam. With the Metro close by it was easy to find our way around this wonderful city.

The staff were excellent. From the moment we arrived we were made feel special - always a welcoming smile.

With such an exciting and vibrant area of Paris at your doorstep, there couldn't be many better positions than around Hotel St Jaques.

We will long remember our short stay in Paris.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
13  Thank cricketSydney
Reviewed November 21, 2006

The setting for the Audrey Hepburn movie "Charade", this hotel had lots of charm and character. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and although our triple room was small, it had a separate bedroom for our 3rd guest which was a lovely surprise. The location was great - an easy 10 minute walk to the Metro, Notre Dame and many caffe's and restaurants to choose from. I would definately return to this hotel when next in beautiful Paris.

Stayed: November 2006
13  Thank VSWSydney
Reviewed November 8, 2006

We stayed at Hotel St. Jacques for our honeymoon from Sept. 19 - 25th and we were very pleased. Our room was 124 Euro a night and had one main room, a bathroom, and then a smaller bedroom on the other side of the bathroom. We were able to store all of our luggage in there so our sleeping area wasn't a mess. Our room was always clean and made up when we returned back from sightseeing. The water was always hot and the noise level was not bad at all. The first night was the loudest, but we just shut the windows and popped in some ear plugs. It's in a great location - 4 or 5 minute walk from the metro and about a 7 minute walk from Notre Dame. Great little restaraunt next the hotel - I can't remember the name off hand - Petit P - something :-) - best meal we had in Paris! The hotel staff was always friendly and willing to help which we were very appreciative of since our French is not good at all. I would def. stay here again and recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank oceanprincess428
Reviewed November 6, 2006

The Hotel St Jacques enjoys a wonderful location, situated a mere 5 min walk form the Metro and within walking distance of Notre Dame, the Pantheon and the Jardins De Luxembourg. The area is very safe and quiet and the rooms were of a good size, as was the en-suite bathroom. The highlight of our stay was the view from our top floor room, we could see both Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur from our bathroom window! The only grumble I had is the poor sound proofing as we were able to hear every word of our neighbour's conversation and the noise from their TV was very intrusive...

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MonsieurChips
Reviewed October 14, 2006

I would definitely return to this hotel. Some of the perks include:

- location. At the heart of the Quartier Latin, St Jacques is walking distance from the Notre Dame cathedral and many restaurants. The street is very safe and near a métro and RER stop (direct trains to/from CDG airport)
- service. The staff were very hands-off and discrete, but polite and helpful when consulted
- facilities. The hotel has a room for left luggage (checkout is at midday). There is someone at reception throughout the night which allows you to return as late as you like.
- rooms. Although slightly on the small side, our room had an en suite bathroom and balcony with views of Notre Dame and the Panthéon. The room was very clean, and I believe each room has a different theme, all with 19th century features.

Overall it was a very successful stay, however we did not eat any meals at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food!

I would definitely recommend it and stay there again in future.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple