“Great Location, Value and Parisian Charm!”

Hotel Saint-Jacques
Ranked #324 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
atlanta
“Great Location, Value and Parisian Charm!”
Reviewed November 15, 2005

This small oasis in Paris is just as advertised here. I had done a lot of research on the hotel before I left and it was worth the effort because I ended up booking the St. Jacques hotel and could not have been happier. We had two rooms, one twin larger room and one standard double. Both were very attractive with walk out windows, beautiful molding on ceiling and very charming decor. Keep in mind this is a small two star hotel and a very old building and therefore you may have some minor inconveniences. The room did not have a plug available for any curling iron (I brought a duel voltage one) or any other electrical appliance in the bathroom other than a small shaver- in either room. This was a problem because I have to curl my hair. I ended up unplugging the TV every time I curled my hair and did not have a mirror close. Also, you may have some noise due to thin walls and some slight street noise, although this is reduced at night. There is no air conditioning and in summer I may consider a different hotel. But, for fall the minor were worth it given the great value, location and charm of the hotel. The hotel staff were great. I will have to give kudos especially to Bridget at the front desk. She was very helpful in several situations. One being a major problem on our return in which we learned a huge lesson. When the transfer service bluvan picked us up they left my most important bag with passport, ids, money sitting on the curb outside the hotel. Although it was mostly due to the driver missing the bag, I will always watch to make sure my bags are loaded before getting on a transportation service from now on. Bridgett quickly had my bad put on a taxi and tied it shut for me. This was a very stressful situation and she was very helpful. I had the hotel breakfast and it was convenient, but I found a croissant and coffee at the boulangerie at the corner cheaper for me since I did not need much for breakfast. The rooms have CNN in english. The maid service was good except for once letting us totally run out of soap- no big deal. The location was perfect in the charming Latin Quarter and one block from the metro, although the major metro with many connections is about three blocks at the St. Michel/Notre Dame stop. We used both. Restaurants are everywhere and I would recommend the Petit Prince around the corner from the hotel as well as the Peridaund's which is on Rue St. Jacques. Also, we had so much fun at night in the club district around Rue de la Huchette, especially the historic jazz club, Le Caveau de la Huchette. I can't wait to return and I would love to stay at Hotel St. Jacque again!

• Stayed November 2005
16 Thank waytogogirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 11, 2005

I just got back from my first trip to Paris, and this hotel was perfect. My room, on the very top floor, was small (with no balcony), but after doing a lot of research, I was prepared for the small hotel rooms in Paris. And why spend time in the hotel when you're in Paris?! I was only in my room to shower or sleep. The location is great -- a block from the Maubert-Mutualite metro, walking distance to Notre Dame as well as numerous cafes, brasseries and bars in the Latin Quarter. The staff was really nice and spoke to me in English even though I tried to speak French with them. Every morning, I walked to the end of the block and bought a small quiche from the neighborhood boulangerie (or is it charcuterie), got a coffee from one of the cafes in the neighborhood, then I was off to explore. Because my room was warm, even in November, I kept the window open and definitely got street noise. The first night, some guy was singing really loudly, I think it was Beethoven's Ode to Joy, and he just kept singing it over and over. But it's a big city, and the hotel can't exactly control drunk singing people outside. I would definitely stay at Hotel Saint-Jacques again. The location is perfect, the staff was very friendly, the rooms are very clean, and it's really a bargain in expensive Paris.

• Stayed November 2005
22 Thank mediachick
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 26, 2005

We stayed here for a week and it was lovely! I believe we had room 22 with was on the second to the top floor. Our room had two French doors that opened to the balcony - lovely! - and interesting plaster and fresco on the ceiling. The furnishing were fine, cute, and the bathroom was very very narrow but clean and functioning fine. The location was perfect - we went to various brasseries every morning for coffees and breakfast and then went off on our journeys from there. We ate dinner in the Latin Quarter a few times as well and only once took a taxi. The hotel is one block from the Metro and very convenient. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and kind. We never did have the breakfast there. The street noise was very loud but that is to be expected so bring ear plugs. The walls must have been sufficiently thick because I never heard another guest. I loved our room, loved the hotel, loved the whole experience. We paid a mere $120 USD for this great room. Thank you!!!
FYI this is not the room with the views of Pantheon and Notre Dame! You need the end-of-hall room for that!

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank Mollita
california
Reviewed September 20, 2005

We are Americans and although this is our 1st trip to Paris, my husband and I found this hotel's atmosphere charming and wonderful. Our room was on the 5th floor, had two large windows with balconey, lovely decor on ceiling and walls. For the price and the wonderful location, this hotel is a gem. Would definitely stay here again.

Had a drink called "absinthe" at the bar. Taste like a strong peppermint schnapps which I liked. Bathroom was small but knew that before we arrived. Had outlet for low voltage items like shaver. I brought a adapter and converter for my hair straigtener but did not work because we are not allowed to use higher voltage electrical items in the room (hotel policy). My husband took his shirts to a nearby facility to get his clothes pressed. Has a hair blower.

Loved this hotel and nearby brasseries, restaurants and people! Wear comfortable shoes! In addition, we met a Canadian who stayed at the hotel as we were leaving for the airport, that said she had stayed at other Paris hotels more expensive, but she found Hotel St Jacques charming great location friendly and would stay here again. I agree wholeheartedly.

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank conniepab
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2005

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the St. Jacques and would gladly stay there again. The rooms are a bit small yet are tastefully decorated. The entire staff proved to be helpful and very friendly, and all spoke English. You can't beat the location-- within walking location to many of our favorite spots and only a block away from a Metro stop. Nice restaurants and little shops are everywhere. This is a great value!

• Stayed December 2004
8 Thank nymt2014
San Francisco
Reviewed July 17, 2005

This is a difficult hotel to summarize easily. It has an outstanding location and a certain shabby Parisian charm. What it doesn't have is air conditioning, privacy or any way to survive both Parisian summer AND Parisian noise.

You can close the windows and stifle or open the windows and enjoy the endless auditory ambience of the Vth (read: "noise"). In fact, you can get downright intimate with Paris, since open windows also mean a fine view for you AND the people across the street (don't try to use the sheer drapes for privacy with the window-doors fully open. We were informed that the drapes must hang inside).

The desk staff is fine and Brigitte was especially helpful. But there are any many hotels along the Rue des Ecoles and, in summer at least, spoiled Americans like us might prefer something a little cooler. For the rest of the year I would certainly consider returning.

PS They do provide a fan. And they did put up (barely) with our very messy teenagers. So I would declare it a draw.

Stayed July 2005
15 Thank HenryTen
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2005

We've now stayed at the St. Jacques for two consecutive summer visits, one in July 2004 and again in June 2005. Last year we had a double and a triple room, and this year we had a triple. We selected the St. Jacques because of its consistently high TripAdvisor reviews, and found it exactly as advertised. Spacious rooms, friendly, english-speaking staff, fantastic location. The street can be a little noisy in summer with those big windows open, but the big windows are part of what makes the St. Jacques great. This year, they had remodeled their breakfast room and they served a wonderful French breakfast to start the day. I find the St. Jacques to be an exceptional value, combining reasonable rates, comfortable rooms, great service, and a central location. In the morning, stroll down a few blocks, grab a croissant at the bakery, and continue your stroll to Notre Dame--it's what a trip to Paris should be!

15 Thank Greg H