“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #321 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

In 1987 I stayed at Hotel Saint Jacques, and my wife and I liked a lot. This time we came with our daughter, and we have no complains with the hotel. Very kind staff, free WiFi, clean room, excellent breakfast and an excellent location. For sure in my future trips to Paris, Hotel Saint Jacques will be my choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FM56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was a great value for the location and quality of accommodations. The room was a decent size and very clean. We absolutely loved the location in the Latin Quarter. We felt the neighborhood was very enjoyable, and it was everything we hoped it would be. In fact, one of the best parts of our trip was walking around the neighborhood in the evenings. The biggest advantage of this hotel (in addition to price) was the metro, which was only a block away (a HUGE plus after walking everywhere!). The last day we received some wrong information about our train, which caused issues with our travel plans. Also, the restaurant recommendations we received from the staff were not very good. However, considering how much we loved the location, the cleanliness of the rooms, and the very reasonable price we paid, we would certainly return to this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MAF1125
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our room was on the 6th floor but the elevator only goes to the 5th. We had to drag our heavy baggage though a narrow corridor and winding stairs. It was outrageous. The walls is thin and you hear sounds of activities next door. The building is old (this is OK), but many parts need refurbishment.
The location is no so good since you have to go up the slopes of a street from the metro station.
Other than these disadvantages described above, this hotel sits in the standard level and could be recommended to a budget travelers.
I must not forget to say; the staff was very kind and good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nomonomo
hotelsaintjacques, Gérant at Hotel Saint-Jacques, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guests,
We do not understand why you reserved our cheapest room on top floor with 1 floor to walk up as it is mentionned on our website if you wanted more comfort unless you didn't read correctly the description, only the price.
Otherwise you would have choose a superior double room or a standard double room or our very very comfortable deluxe double room for a little more money.
For your information our hotel is not a design hotel but totally in the 19th century style with molded ceilings and wall frescoes very appreciated for its authenticity (the building was built in the 1870's as many of the Parisian buildings) We constantly renovate our establishment with fresh paintings, new furnitures, new bathrooms for the comfort of our guests by always keeping on mind the soul of The Saint-Jacques.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in Paris. The location of the hotel surrounded by wonderful resturants and cafes, as well it's proximity to such well known and beautiful landmarks as the Pantheon and Notre Dame made it a great base for our visit. We made good use of the Metro with a choice of stations nearby and the staff at the hotel were very helpful with advice on how to get around the city. We had a lovely room with 2 sets of doors that opened out onto a small balcony with a street view. The room was bigger than I expected and the breakfast was fantastic. Very happy to recommend this lovely hotel, great stay. Tip - walk around the corner from this hotel and find the small church that holds regular recitals by students from the Conservatory of Music, wonderful experience in such a special little church.
Jill N.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jill N
St.Simons Island, GA
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I absolutely loved my Parisian stay at the Hotel Saint-Jacques. This darling hotel is in the Latin Quarter, close to everything. My corner room had a huge oil painting and beautiful decor. It is my dream that I can somehow get back some day soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Martha H
Grosse Pointe Far
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed in a double deluxe, which I thought would be one of the highest grade rooms. It was on the fifth floor. The "balcony" was not a balcony, it was a one foot wide edging outside of the windows - so that was a bit of a misrepresentation. The bedspread was a ribbed chenille item that looked like it hadn't been washed in years - I took it off each night when I slept. (I actually took a photo of it, but it's a bit hard to see in the photos). Same with the cheap cotton/polyester "drapes" - why don't they just throw them in the wash and iron them? They're literally grey with exhaust and dirt from street grime - none of that shows in the online photos. The website highlights all the beautiful canvas wall paintings, which are indeed lovely and appear throughout the hotel - they just don't make up for the rest of the issues. Also, speaking of walls; the walls are so thin, I could literally hear my neighbors snoring throughout the night! It was incredible! The bathroom is tiny and has no shower, only the old fashioned hand held sprayer in a tub (with no shower curtain). I'm all for going native when you travel to another country, but really? Do we have to be that coordinated every morning? I've been to Europe a million times and most places have upgraded to regular showers at this point, recognizing the comfort in not having to balance, shower one handed and not flood your floor at the same time.
There is a breakfast that's included each morning, very basic even for France, but there's no room service available at any other time. That thing on the website about drinks etc. in the evening in some kind of lounge at the hotel, is a myth: no such thing occurs at the Hotel Saint Jacques. I agree that the location was nice, very close to the Maubert Metro stop, but other than that, I really, really regretted booking this hotel. I don't know why I decided to try a new place thinking I could save some money; you usually do get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Katie N
hotelsaintjacques, Propriétaire at Hotel Saint-Jacques, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are very surprised when reading your review as you stayed one week in our hotel and never complained to the desk.
We inform you that you reserved and stayed in a superior double room and not a deluxe double room, and that you had a lovely balcony as pictured on our website where you can relax viewing the parisian way of life.
We thank you for all your pictures showing that the bedsread is new and clean, that the bathroom is comfortable and equiped with a shower and is spacious according to the parisian standards.
We regret that you found our breakfast basic as our buffet offers freshly squeezed orange juice and fruit salad, smoked salmon, coldcuts, differents varieties of cheeses and yoghurts, organic breads and pastries, cereals, teas Mariage Frères,...
For your information, our bar Toulouse Lautrec is proposing a large variety of drinks as soon as you order your drink to the desk, you are served immediately.
Anyway, we thank you for choosing our 3star as you selected the Plaza Athénée for your previous stay which is a 5star deluxe hotel.
We understand your disappointment when you hoped a 5star service for a 3star price.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked this hotel on the basis of the Trip Advisor reviews and I'm pleased to say we were not disappointed. A very comfortable bed in a reasonable sized room, and for a reasonable cost.The hotel staff were very helpful. The location of the hotel was excellent, close to Notre Dame and the Boulevard St Germain. We walked everywhere! My only criticism would be that the breakfasts seemed expensive for a basic continental breakfast so we ate out for better value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple