“Budget hotel in the best neighbourhood”

Hotel Le Compostelle Le Marai
Ranked #1,036 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“Budget hotel in the best neighbourhood”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Hotel Le Compostelle is situated in the best area in town - close to all links to the best attractions and surrounded by trendy bars and restaurants. This tends to make for a noiser stay as there is always something going on outside - but i loved that about the area. The rooms were fair and what you'd expect from a stay in paris on budget, the same goes for the shower room. The only complaint i would have is the elevator which i chose not to travel by and even though the reception staff were generally cold, you grew to understand their ways and accepted it was just the french way and the language barrier. Our room was clean and i absolutely loved the big french window that we hung out, people watching on the streets below.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erin_B1819

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

You can't go wrong with this place. The location is brilliant, close to all amenities and the transport links are excellent, Saint-Paul or Hotel-de-Ville metro stations are only about 300m walk away and it only costs €1.70 to travel to all Central Paris locations (Zone 1). The Notre Dame cathedral is only 5 minutes walk away and The Louvre 15 minutes away. There is also a BoatBus just down the road linking all the major attractions which you can hop on and off all day for €13, very relaxing and you get to avoid the hustle and bustle of the very busy Metro. The area is bustling with Cafes, shops and bars and the hotel is just located behind the busy Rue de Rivoli. The area is busy until the early hours of the morning but the rooms were quiet enough to have a decent nights sleep. The hotel and the rooms were very clean. The staff were very helpful and spoke decent English. The only negative was the size of the rooms but it wasn't really an issue. What more do you want from a reasonably priced hotel at a prime location! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lee D
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My second visit to this hotel. Visited the weekend of 4th November 2011.

This hotel is located in the Le Marais area which for those that way inclined is the predominently gay area of Paris, also home to the Jewish contignent of Paris and a eye watering number of cafes, shops, bars and patisseries.

Le Compostelle isnt a huge hotel so don't expect huge brand name luxuries. That being said the hotel is lovely. The staff on reception have a decent grasp of english, certainly enough to get by but i'm sure they appreciate the odd person who can throw out a few words in french.

The rooms are adequate - not bad, not great but given i was in there for around 8hrs per day during which i was asleep it didnt concern me. The beds were comfortable, there was a bath and shower and a tv so you can try to follow french TV. Our room was round the back of the hotel as it was last time so i can't comment on the noise, however it is on a busy street so this is to be expected.

In terms of location and tourism - the hotel is around a 10 min walk from both The Lourve and Notre Dame and there is a Metro Station a short walk from the hotel (St Pauls). What I would say is please don't be lazy and get the Metro around Paris, get out and walk - its SUCH a gorgeous city it needs to be taken in as you walk along the river.

Overall, a nice little hotel, excellent location and reasonably priced too. If and when I return to Paris I know where i'll be staying.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank LadyMooMcr
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is centrally located in the Marais. The hotel staff is English speaking and efficient. They helped arrange our early-morning taxi pickup to the airport. The hotel room was a bit outdated but had all the necessities, with the exception of air-conditioning. A nice touch was the balcony overlooking the busy-street below...so Parisian! Yet, since it was warm and with no AC we had to leave the french doors open at night to keep cool and that meant having the intrusive street noises. Luckily, I had a good pair of earplugs, good for me, not so good for my partner.

The hotel is in a great location, just a short walk to the Notre Dame cathedral, museums, etc.

It's rates are a good deal, but don't expect luxury, AC or complete quiet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrooklynDon
Central Coast California
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I was looking for a hotel in the Marais during Easter week. I found this thru a 3rd party discount site and could only book 2 nights at 90 euros/night. I could not find anything within in this budget for my remainder 3 nights in Paris so I booked a hotel to the north in the Repubilique area. That hotel was substandard. I was able to cancel my 3rd night there. Before I did I went to Compostelle to see if I could add my 3rd night there. I walked into a small, clean well appointed lobby with an ICE WATER dispenser with cups. I have never seen a small gesture like this in Paris. I knew this small hotel would be wonderful. They were able to accomodate my request and gave it to me at 90 euros.

We spent 3 nights here. Our room was very clean. The furnishings: bedspread & curtains match but are dated. Yes bathroom is quite small but hey your in Paris not to mention the Marais. As previous reviews stated great location for Metro and sites. Here are a couple of basic things also within a block of this hotel: grocery store, laundromat and internet cafe. Also, I usually never breakfast at a hotel unless it's included in the price, however I did for 2 days. The breakfast is down in the cellar and is 6.50 euros from 7:15-10:00. I felt it was a very fair price-Lg cup of coffee with small pitcher of steamed milk or hot chocolate, breadbasket consisting of several pastries and french loaf, yogurt ,applesauce, butter and jams. It was nice to start my mornings in a relaxed atmosphere with great coffee and be able to plan my day! I don't think you could get all that elsewhere and sit down for the same price.

Now here is the only drawback-STREET NOISE!!!!! We had room 23 which faces the street. I didn't realize the Monday after Easter is a holiday and it was being celebrated as such in the cafe/bars until late. The next 2 nights weren't quite as bad but still loud until late. Then, I believe it was some type of garbage truck coming thru each morning around 6am. One evening we were on the street and thinking "Oh this isn't too bad "and then we got up to our room and the noise level seemed to waft into it. so I don't know if the sound travels up or reverberates off the buildings but it is horrible in room 23. Forget about keeping the window open if it is warm. Even with the windows closed-VERY LOUD. The 2nd night we slept with our earplugs which helped.

So all in all, I would totally recommend this hotel for cleanliness, friendliness, location and price and would book it myself again IF I could get a room facing inward off Rue du Roi Sicile.

Very Close: LA's Falafel - Healthy, filling, delicious falafel 34 Rue de Rosiers

Amorino Gelato-Chain apparently in UK & France but best gelato I've had
since visiting Italy. 31 Rue Vielle du Temple

Room Tip: Try to book a room not facing Rue Roi du Sicile
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank labonvoyer
Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We booked for two nights starting April 10 at 93 euros per night, via Travelocity. Given the wonderful central location in the charming Marais district, this is a terrific deal. Our 6th floor room was very basic but gave great views of gray-slated Parisian roofs. It was clean. It was somewhat cramped. We got a good welcome from the front desk (and helpful advise in English). They also booked a taxi for us to CDG for our flight home. We passed on breakfast and the 10 E internet access, opting for coffee in the cafe across the street (and free wi-fi standing outside any McDonalds). If price is an issue, this is a great option for some. If you wish more amenities or a charming room you're going to spend a lot more. But from here it is a short walk to the wonderful little bar called Au Petit Fer a Cheval, then superb foie gras, tomato tarte tatin and duck at cafe Les Philosophes, both within a block.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DRCPittsburgh
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I chose this hotel on the basis of it's location. It's in the Marais, my favourite district of Paris as it has great feel and fantastic places to eat and drink. It's not far from either St Paul or Hotel de Ville metro stations and it's an area that I feel safe in. I travelled with my sister (we're both early 20s) and I think it's safer to stay in the centre rather than travel out further of the city. Our room was an average size, mainly taken up by the bed which was a good size. There was a desk, two chairs and a TV which were all OK. The bathroom though is very small and cramped. However, it serves its purpose and was adequate. I found the people on reception fine, they were especially helpful as on our last day our train was late evening and the check out time was 12 so I asked if they could hold our bags behind reception which they did with no problems. I think this was really good of them as they didn't have too. I think this is a really good place to stay, probably mainly for friends who want a place only to sleep and shower in. My sister and I were hardly there as Paris has so much to offer, and for the price and location I would really recommend it for people who are going to be out most of the time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends