“DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL”

Hotel de Saint-Germain
Ranked #1,302 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 26, 2012

DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL. I reserved a room through VENERE to stay at this hotel for three nights. They gave me a confirmation number and for three weeks I relaxed thinking my Paris break was sorted only to find an e-mail just a few days before my trip telling me that the hotel was cancelled owing to a credit card cancellation. I rang the credit card company and they informed me that the hotel had put in a credit card transaction of two euro and immediately cancelled it.The credit card company informed me that they had not rejected any transaction from myself.The hotel then let my room to another customer telling me that 'it was my own fault'. Neither Venere or the Hotel de Saint Germain admitted liability and I had to rebook in another hotel costing me in excess of £200 more which, by the way, was with the same credit card without a problem. I can only assume the hotel had a booking of a full week and consequently cancelled my three night break.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank olivia070
LMAROLLEAU, Propriétaire at Hotel de Saint-Germain, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hello, After reading your comment we still do not understand but in any case we apologize! L.Marolleau

There are newer reviews for Hotel de Saint-Germain

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel itself was good . As usual in Paris room was on the small side but at least we could put one suitcase into the wardrobe . Room was clean , beds good size although a bit firm . Breakfast was a major disappointment and certainly not worth 14 euros each ---especially with so many good cafes within 5 minutes walk [e.g. Deux Magots and Cafe Flore ]. The major problem was the metro noise from 5 am till 1 am every 5 minutes . Apparently the only metro line still with metal wheels is the culprit and runs under the hotel --- it sounded as if the station was on the ground floor !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JvB0625
Reviewed September 17, 2012

A nice little hotel with a perfect location in the center of Paris. Unfortunately the breakfast restaurant was out of order. Another minus was the sound of the metro in the night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank MonicaTopp
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have loved this little hotel for more than 15 years. The location is perfect; in the heart of the Saint Germain des Pres arrondissement and a the perfect size at 29 rooms. I have stayed at the hotel with my wife and we took our sons there when they were old enough to enjoy Paris. Through the years, I have recommended the hotel to friends; to their great joy.

We stayed at the hotel several nights this week and the deferred maintenance on our little hotel was so severe that we've decided to find a new favorite. The rooms are very tired. They are clean, but the beds are hard, the bedding old and worn, the shower had an important handle missing that made it a problem to get it work properly. To make matters worse, the small elevator that we have enjoyed over the years was on the "blink" and we had to walk our luggage down the small narrow and winding stairs at check out. The owners need to invest in the up keep of the property. The hotel is still full of guests, but if things are not improved, they won't return. I've noticed slight signs of decline over the last few years, but now it must be addressed.

The staff at the hotel is absolutely wonderful. We have gotten to know them all over the years and no matter what shift, each employee is pleasant, helpful and just the type of person you would want at a small and intimate hotel property.

It pains me to write this review, but I'm hoping this will motivate the owners to take corrective action.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank petionville
LMAROLLEAU, Propriétaire at Hotel de Saint-Germain, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Hôtel de Saint Germain . Your comments are very usefull to us in order to improve our guest experience.
Corrective actions are put in place to avoid the issue you encountered.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a much better experience.

Kind regards,
Laurent Marolleau
Owner

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here 5 nights in July with young children too. Loved, just LOVED the location - can't beat this location. The neighborhood is terrific for eating, shopping, walking, and central access to so many sights. The hotel was clean and adequate, was being renovated at the time, the staff was very friendly and helpful, we really appreciated this. We never did breakfast in the hotel as there are so many great cafes close by to try. We might think twice about staying here again however as it was terribly noisy at nights - street noise, cars, people walking, talking outside even in the middle of the night sometimes, kept those of us lighter sleepers awake alot. Depends on what kind of sleeper you are... Overall we had a fantastic time in Paris!

Room Tip: One of our rooms had a small balcony which we enjoyed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank saspatel
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

They r so kindly n speaking english as well.
Despite u r not planning to visit France it could be change ur ideas.I walked entire Parosien touristic volumes.Especially Eiffel,Disneyland,Champs Elysees,Louvre n Rivoli also Notre Dame wherever the Eglise.
It is so close to here.
U can find comfortable on less price.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a very small, friendly, clean and inexpensive hotel (we paid 99 euro a night). It is in the very pricey St Germain district where you will feel safe walking home late at night. We were two mom's and two daughters traveling together and never had a problem with the neighborhood or the friendly (English speaking) staff at the hotel. Yes, the rooms are small but have everything you need, you can't judge a room in Paris by American standards, even the much more expensive hotels in the area have very small rooms. The bed is very firm, the water pressure was very good, and they do have a mini bar in the room. Unfortunately it only had water, soda, and beer in it, where's the French wine? There is room in the fridge for you to bring some back from Monoprix (France's Target) a short 2 block walk. A hair dryer, soap, shampoo, room safe are provided and tea service is available for free, ask at the front desk. For breakfast we went to the friendly Brasserie 3 store fronts to the right as you exit the hotel. They have lovely Cappuccinos! Overall we were only in the room to sleep and shower, yes we occasionally heard the underground train rumble but we were on the fifth floor so it wasn't bothersome. There is an elevator, it's small but does the trick! If you forget a converter the Pharmacy across the street has them!

Room Tip: top floor less noise from the street!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank flyntasticmom

Hello, Thank you for comment Hôtel de Saint Germain,, like you wrote every thing is walking distante so this is why we do not put French Wine in MiniBar: you better buy by yourself choosing a nice Beaujolais at a better price ...We have glass and corkscrew !
Thank you and see you soon L.Marolleau