“A nice place to stay”

Villa Royale Montsouris
Ranked #390 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during a short break with a friend for 3 nights in October. The hotel is clean and comfortable, and the staff were friendly. We got a really good deal with Eurostar from lastminute.com so it was a very cheap trip, and we decided not to have the beakfast which is about 8 euros per day due to our limited budget.

Our room was a nice size, had a good bathroom and wardrobe space. The Morrocan style decor is colourful and in good taste, and the beds were warm and comfortable. Our room was on the fourth floor and there seemed to be a water storage tank very close to our room which was a little noisy during the night. This did not interrupt our sleep and was not worth complaining about, however if we had been staying longer I might have mentioned it to staff.

The hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from the metro station from which you can easily access the main sites of Paris. It took us about half an hour from Gar du Nord and most trips on the metro were shorter than this. It is much cheaper it is to stay outside the centre, and definitely worthwhile as we had no problems getting anywhere we wanted to go to. We bought a 10 trip metro ticket for about 13 euros which is great value and very convenient.

All in all this is a nice place to stay, clean and comfortable, quite well-located and I would both recommend and return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ren_SL

Reviewed October 13, 2013

After reading previous reviews about this hotel we were a little concerned. Thankfully our concerns were ungrounded. We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. It is not posh but it is quirky. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was always somebody available. While not central there were 3 metro stations nearby so Paris was easily accessible. The hotel was extremely good value for money and I would recommend it

Room Tip: After reading the past revues we were a little concerned about the quality of this hotel. Our fears...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Took my 16 year old daughter to Paris for 3 nights, needed somewhere clean, safe, quiet, reasonably central and on a budget. Booked this hotel on Lastminute.com Secret Hotels deal not knowing which hotel we would get. When it came up with this hotel and I checked Tripadvisor I was slightly concerned about previous reviews however when we got there I was pleasantly surprised to find it fitted the bill nicely. On top of being clean, safe and quiet the room was a good size and the staff friendly. Having a mini fridge was great as we could buy drinks and food outside and keep them chilled, also had a safe in the room. The Metro is 5 mins away and there is a good selection of local shops, a few bars and a Lidl. Its not the centre of Paris nightlife but that's not what we wanted. We hardly used the Metro as just outside the hotel is a Velib cycle hire point and we just rode around, it is an easy ride to all the major attractions and a great way to get around Paris, cycled back one evening at 11:30pm, no problems. I would stay here again. I also liked the decor it was a bit different from your average hotel and the room was nice enough to spend time in relaxing in the evening.
The only things I would point out for those more picky people are (in our room): you could only turn the bedside lights off from the main switch by the door, the lighting wasn't great (bit too dim for me, no problem for 16 yr olds), the bathroom door didn't quite shut properly (more of a problem for my 16 year self conscious daughter) and it was tricky to have a shower without soaking the bathroom floor. Having said that it wouldn't stop me staying there again. For the price its not going to be 5* luxury but for £155 for 3 nights I thought it was very great value. Had a brilliant trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Santosh64
Sébastien D, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. It helps us always very much to know your feelings after having stayed in our Hotel.

I would like to inform a little bit more about us. I took over the management of the Villa Royale Montsouris 6 month ago. Until July 2013, this establishment wasn’t classified, and travel agencies had sold our property as a 4 stars hotel.

Therefore, this situation was critical. I decided to classify officially the Hotel, and we are now a very respectable 3 stars hotel. I am sure that you will prefer a good 3 stars hotel, than a poor 4 star hotel!

I understand that many of you are concerned about previous reviews. But I am now confident that you are all going to be pleasantly surprised.

I have also reinforced my team with a very nice and efficient Lady that impulse higher service at reception and Housekeeping.

Again, I would like to thanks all of you, leaving reviews on Tripadvisor. It will help me a lot to improve the service.

Eric Raffestin – Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights for our anniversary in April.
To be honest, we just used the hotel as a base to explore Paris and see the sights.
The hotel is quite quirky in its decor, but that's why we booked it - a change from the norm, and something with a bit of character!
However, it could do with a bit of attention in small areas - the stained glass effect on the windows was peeling off and made the windows look a bit grubby. And the bath didn't look overly inviting - However, the opportunity to lay in the bath in the morning with the windows open slightly - being able to watch the sun come up was a particular high point! :)
The rooms were cleaned daily and cleaned well.
We didn't have breakfast or any meals at the hotel, so can't comment on that.
We had minimal contact with the staff as we were barely there, however the interactions we did have were good - they were all very nice and helpful.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the metro system which is fantastic - and cheap!
Also, a main street with a few bars, restaurants, pastry shops etc.. which were all fantastic.
We would stay here again, as it's a decent hotel, and good base for sightseeing.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel in the morning about 9. A couple was checking out because the hotel was terrible. The lobby of this hotel does not reflex the the pictures shown. The lobby is DIRTY!! We did not check in. We were told this was a 4 star by lastminute.com. and could not get a refund. The guy at the front window said this is a 3 star hotel. Please dont stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank T C
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

First of all i was not impressed with anything this '4 star' hotel had to offer. The A/C does not work and was too hot. I usually rest a bit after a fligt but because it was too hot i decided to go out for the day and find a cooler place. Before leaving the staff asked me to leave the key at the reception, i thought it strange but this practice is used in other places so i complied. Once i returned i noticed that my luggage had been moved and touched. I had padlocked it before i left only to come back to find that they had picked the lock and stolen my money. This was in the evening, the receptionist of the time told me to walk down to the police station but i did not feel safe doing that and leaving my things again. I was flying early in the morning so had no time to go and make a report. When i told him to call the police to the hotel he insisted that this was not possible and i could not call them myself. I should have read the reviews of this hotel in advanced. It is not safe.

4  Thank Mohito_ish
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in July in the middle of the heatwave. Decor is Arabian and dated and public areas small (especially the lift which had a very strange smell and was shoddy). However we found the staff to be very friendly and very helpful and they all spoke some English. Our sons had ordered champagne and chocolates for the room which were there when we arrived and very nicely presented. Our room (4th floor) was spotlessly clean, not large but ok with fridge, safe and adequate storage though no hospitality tray. Wi fi worked fine as did the air con. The location is quiet and convenient for metro (10 mins into Cite) and has bars, restaurants and supermarkets close by. Not 4 star but a good 2 or even 3 star. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple