“Excellent well situated hotel”

Hotel Opera d'Antin
Ranked #546 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I had an overnight stay at this Best Western which is right by Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Excellent check in and check out. Easy access to lots of reataurants - close to Opera and Madeleine.
Clean and functional room with ensuite shower room.
Recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013
Arnauddupin, Directeur général at Hotel Opera d'Antin, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear esteemed guest,

I thank you for having taken the time to announce your appreciation to us following your stay.

There are a lot of restaurants and bars around the Opera which is just behind the hotel that are open until 2 o'clock in the morning. The area is very appreciated for his quietness and safety as you can read in the comments left on the Tripadvisor website.

The prestigious Galeries Lafayette and Printemps are just next door making shopping very easy.

Our hotel is entire renovated and we got a lot of comments for our decoration and cleaning.
It has been a pleasure for us to welcoming you and we are looking forward to welcoming you again on your next stay in Paris.

Yours Sincerely.

Kersten Emmrich
Manager

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stay at Opera d'Antin almost every week for business (for over 2 years now) and it is without a doubt the best 3 star hotel I have found in the 9th district after staying at just about every other 3 star within a 1 km radius. It is clean, safe, has friendly & helpful staff, has wonderfully quiet rooms with decent air con (a god send in summer), free, reliable & fast wi-fi, good hairdryers (a must for those of us with hair in need of a good blow dry), great power showers, a decent breakfast selection, comfortable beds with lots of pillows (not the usual wretched Paris hotel offering of 1 flat pillow per person) and warm, snuggly duvets on the beds instead of the dreadful sheet and unwashed blanket bedding so many of the hotels give you (ugh! I can tell you those blankets are not washed after every use!). The reception and bar area is art deco style and is comfortable and a good place to have a drink. The team will also provide you with a tea & coffee 'plateau' for your room if like me you need a coffee to get going first thing in the morning. You can get slightly cheaper 3 star hotels in the 9th but believe me, it is not worth it. I have literally had the chair pushed up against the door all night in some of local hotels as they are so unsafe and have had to clean the bathroom myself before even washing my hands. I would put Opera d'Antin into the 4 star category based on the other '3 stars' I have stayed in. Its also right behind Les Galleries Lafayette, Printemps (famous shopping) & the Opera House (beautiful) and only a 20 minutes walk to the Louvre. Keep up the good work my favourite 9th arr hotel!

Room Tip: Go to the back bedrooms for peace and quiet but chose a front room for a lively Paris street view bu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nott Z
Reviewed November 10, 2012

A good central hotel. Rooms clean and adequate for the stay. A bit noisy if the windows are open - but they do have air conditioning. I would stay there again. On't bother with the breakfast - pop across the road to the local cafes...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Location was great and the room ( not the one first offered) was quite nice for Paris - but 3 nights at the price of 645 € booked through Venere ( cheapest price online) was not justified in anyway. Embarrassingly rude staff, who loudly refused to prepare eggs that were politely offered by the manager, shortage of blankets, modest breakfast at 13 € .
Would recommend it only for much cheaper price.

Room Tip: Unless you are on a romantic hideaway beware of a room above the fire escape outside the main floor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked a room in this hotel in August a week before my stay. I chose it for the location only and as always with all my reservations, always ask for a quiet room.

Upon my arrival in Paris (circa 5:30PM) i receive an email on my Blackberry telling me i couldn't stay there and that they had booked me a room at another hotel. Quick apology sentence and the usual "hope to receive you at our hotel during your next visit to Paris".

Now i was quite baffled because
1. you don't just email people at 5:30 PM, what if i had arrived before, gone all the way to the hotel, would they have turned me away?
2. Thank god i had a Blackberry and saw the email but the least they could have done was to give me a quick call but noooo, that probably would have cost them too much to call a foreign cell phone. The customer can pay for the roaming charges!
2. i didn't see or agreed to stay at that other hotel they booked me at, what if i didn't like it? What if the price was not equivalent?

So i give them a call (and pay extra of course since i'm in France) and the woman is like "don't worry the other hotel is very close to ours blablabla, it will be fine etc.

So anycase, i hop on a cab, arrive at the other hotel, the receptionist was very nice and then 2 things pissed me:
1. she tells me that i have to pay for breakfast when it *was* included in the other reservation
2. she points me to my room....2m from the reception (so ground floor), with street view. So not only will i get the noise from the streets but also from the reception.
Now there was nothing they could have done, it was their only room left but i'm already sour after this whole story and waste of my precious time.

I ask her to call the Best Western about my breakfast (i was 100% positive it said that it was included) and then they say that it wasn't and that there is nothing they can do for me. I mean, breakfast was only 13€, i don't mind paying for it but it was just a matter of principle and as a commercial gesture. So she speaks to them on the phone and they basically send me to hell through her. So i decided to pay them a visit.

I arrive at the Best Western and the woman i had spoken to on the phone previously had finished her shift so i spoke with a clueless guy at the reception. I explain him my story and all he could say was "oh i see" and i was like "so what about my breakfast?! the least you could do is fix that" and then he went on about how he didn't have the "power" to do such things (really?! is that the best you can come up with?!) and that maybe if he could try to *pull some strings* he would give me a call the next morning - no promises - to let me know if i could come all the way back to the Best Western and have my breakfast there. Now that was just getting ridiculous but i didn't want to give in. I asked to see the hotel manager but as it turns out he was conveniently on holiday and there was no one else there that could take *such big responsibility* as to fix an unhappy customer with a 13€ crappy hotel breakfast (sigh).

Of course he never called me back and since the people at the other hotel were much nicer they gave me a free breakfast (which in all honestly *they* should pay the customers 13€ to eat that cr*p, but i digress).

Anyhow, i just can't believe the lameness of the service i got there and they honestly didn't feel sorry they cancelled my room since they found another hotel for me. Now i was NOT going to feel grateful for that as it's the LEAST they could do! They weren't going to let me sleep outside under the bridge were they?! Good luck finding a last minute room in Paris in August But the least i expected was a little commercial gesture.

Now although i haven't lived in France in over a decade, i am french myself and this example is exactly why i always vowed never to go back there : service is terrible in France! After having lived in Japan for a while, i may have higher expectations but the french are just way too rude.

I did not see the rooms but the reception looked quite dated and not so clean. The location is fantastic if you want to shop, i have nothing to say about that. I just HATED the service there and definitely won't ever try to stay there again.

Room Tip: Just make sure your reservation doesn't get cancelled! Ha!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline R
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was very clean and comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay here and are happy to recommend it.

Paris as a city is very walkable, this hotel may not be in the heart of the downtown but that is what makes it great. There are many shoping centers close, a Macdonalds just down the street and lots of wonderful cafes all around. It is a little less expensive to stop and grab a coffee near this hotel then it is to buy one right in the heart of everything.

The best part is that it is in the middle of the "different sectors" of Paris so it's a great homebase to start from. We walked to the l'Ouvre, Notre Dame and Musee d'orsay from this hotel and it was wonderful.

The staff was not formal and stuffy like I thought they might have been, they were accomodating and completly biligual.

Room Tip: The rooms in Paris are small so prepare yourself. Ask for the suite 601. If you can afford it you wi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnauddupin, Directeur général at Hotel Opera d'Antin, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear esteemed guest,

It has been a pleasure for us to welcoming you in our hotel.

Our Hotel is located in the hearth of Paris just a few steps from the Grand Magasins Printemps and Galéries Lafayette and monuments like the Louvre, Opera, Madeleine and Champs Elysées making shopping and sightseeing very easy.

My staff and I do our best to ensure to our customers a pleasant stay.

I'm looking forward to welcoming you again on your next stay in Paris.

Yours sincerely

Kersten EMMRICH
Manager

Reviewed September 24, 2012

For people who love to shop, this is the hotel for you. I have never stayed here before and I booked our stay online by virtue of decent TA reviews and its location. I did not have great expectations prior to arriving. We were pleasantly surprised. This hotel offers good value, great location and decent service.

Pros: It is literally next door to Galleries Lafayette & Printemps so shoppers can walk back to the hotel, unload their shopping bags, freshen up and be back shopping in no time. The hotel rooms are clean, beds are comfortable. The bathroom is of decent size, clean and relatively new. It is walking distance from 4 major metro stations (Opera, Havre-Caumartin, Chaussee d'Antin La Fayette & Saint-Lazare) so you can reach most areas in Paris with the least number of metro transfers. Free Wifi.

Cons: Rooms are small (however this is typical of most hotels in Paris). Don't expect rooms to be the size of the standard US hotel rooms. Since it is located at the heart of Paris, traffic noise is audible especially during midday but it is not terrible and we were able to get good sleep every night. From our room, I was awakened at 7am by the garbage truck collecting trash from Galleries Lafayette next door. This was not that big of a deal since we had to be up anyway.

Breakfast was not included with our hotel room and we elected not to have breakfast at the hotel. There are numerous fast food joints in the area and finding something to eat is not a problem.

Overall: My wife liked the hotel and the location and says she would come back and stay at this hotel (FYI: she is very particular when it comes to hotels so consider this to be a ringing endorsement of this joint). It offers good bang for the buck. Do not expect a view of the Eiffel tower or river but if you want a clean, convenient, decent hotel at a good price, you should look into staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple