“Fair location, good hotel, good staff”

Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture
Ranked #906 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Oxford, Mississippi
“Fair location, good hotel, good staff”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a budget hotel and has a couple of drawbacks, but overall is a fine choice.

I stayed here on points. Our room was on the sixth floor, and as the elevator was quite small this might have been an inconvenience. But as it turned out we never really had a long wait or jam at the elevator. But the elevator here is very small, only holds three people, and even then one of the three needs to be on the small side, and the maximum weight is 225 kg.

I actually found this hotel to be a bit far from what I personally consider to be the "Opera" district, but the location was nice enough, only a long block north of the Grand Boulevards metro stop. This line doesn't really go anywhere one would want to go, so you will need to change, but it's nice to have a convenient stop. Overall the neighborhood was nice enough, and was walking distance to the base of Montmatre.

I thought our hotel room was clean and nice. Really couldn't ask for any more. I think the key to remember here is that Paris is a very expensive city and this is a budget hotel. When viewed in that light, this hotel is a great value. The staff was very kind and spoke English well, although I would note they are not obligated to do so.

Some jerky reviewer complained about the breakfast. It was a fine continental breakfast consisting of a variety of rolls and croissants, with bottled jam and honey. There was packaged cheese and a plate of ham available. Plus coffee and tea, of course. If you want more, the Hilton has a $50 breakfast buffet that is outstanding, and I highly recommend that you forego the free breakfast here and avail yourself of the $50-per-person breakfast at the Hilton.

The hotel offers a free boxed lunch. I did not know whether this was a one-time or everyday thing, but we only got it once. Paris is an expensive city, and having this available for a picnic helped us to save some money, although we really blew the better part of the savings by buying fruit at Heddiard. The lunch consists of a packaged sandwich, a water and a bag of chips. It would cost four or five euros in a store and probably costs the hotel a little less than half that, so it's a nice something extra.

Whether I would stay again would depend on the price. I would prefer to be closer to Opera or in the St. Germain/Latin area, but if the price was right, I'd stay in a heartbeat. This hotel is a great value.

Room Tip: Third or fourth floor probably best since that will get you high than street noise but allow you an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Crack-O-Noon
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Sir,dear madam,

thanks for you opinion on the TRIPADVISOR WEBSITE.

We try to give the best service for each guests ans we try to give a special service for each type of guest , fair guest or tourist guest. each type of guests wait for different information for the first one, we know that the most important is t manage for a taxi or to have a good restaurant for the diner. For the second, we know that's our mission is to "drive" those inside PARIS for the metro, for the visits......We can make a "personal" welcome.

We hope to welcome you again for fair period or leisure

Best regards

Richard PLATEAU
DIRECTEUR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Little Mountain, South Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I traveled to Paris for a week in March. I cannot express my disappointment with this hotel. The staff were rather apathetic and rude. I booked the "suite" and it was also disappointing.. The room on the first floor consisted of a bed - no bedside table, lamp, chair - nothing other than a closet and bathroom. The second floor was nice with the usual bed, bedside table, small table and chairs and coffee maker. The dryer in the bathroom burned up as soon as we turned it on. The water changed constantly from hot to cold the entire time you tried to take a shower. The breakfast was nothing to speak of - only cereals, breads, etc. - nothing warm to eat. The overall "feel" of the hotel was uncomfortable to us. It was far from inviting and friendly. I was so displeased that I was happy to pay the penalty of an early check out for for the second night just to get out of there. We moved to a much nicer hotel about three blocks away and couldn't have been happier with our decision to leave. Don't waste your money staying here.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Renny5903
Directeur-Axel, Gérant at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear madam,

I receive your words and i'm sorry if you don't like our hôtel. We welcome during 365 days per year guests in this room, and we never any complain about this one. maybe you come from a country where the confort level is different. We are happy if you find the good hôtel in PARIS.

We hope to welcome you again and show that wehave other good room.

best regards

Richard PLATEAU
MANAGER

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This convenient and friendly hotel was absolutely perfect for our week in Paris... the hotel is small and quaint, the staff were so friendly and helpful at all times.. would not think twice above returning...

Room Tip: we had a gorgeous twin room, with full bath and french doors and josephine balconies!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank CBIRD910
Reading UK
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and have to say it provides really good value.
As everyone else says, its location is great - only 20 minutes walk from Gare du Nord and under half an hours walk from almost everywhere you would want to go north of the river - Ile de la Cite, the big stores, the Opera, Pigalle, Montmartre are all within easy walking distance. It's also just a few steps from the Grands Boulevards metro station when you want to go further afield, so great location.
The staff were also very friendly and helpful, and the hotel provides free WiFi, many channels including BBC1 on TV, and complimentary lunch packs.
We only stayed for two nights, so the comparatively small size of the rooms wasn't a problem, but our visit just happened to coincide with what must have been almost the hottest day of the year so far, and so the only things that stop us giving full marks were the fact that the air conditioning wasn't functioning and the bathroom door was badly fitted and wouldn't close properly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing outside road are quite noisy at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony_1642
East Linton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Excellent Hotel right in the middle of the action as it were. From the moment we stepped through the door the staff couldn't have been more helpful. My wife had the unfortunate experience of having her handbag snatched at the Opera destination of the Roissy Bus and all the staff were extremely helpful in contacting the British Consul and Credit Card companies to sort out the new travel documents that we would need and also to cancel the cards. The Grand Boulevard Metro stop is a matter of 3 minutes from the hotel so all destinations in Paris were only a short walk away. The Lunch Box was great too although the plentiful breakfast meant that you weren't that hungry till about 2 or 3 in the afternoon! Free Internet was great for keeping in touch with friends back home not having my wife's mobile to update on our calamity. My wife and I would definitely come back and use the hotel again without any question of a doubt and we would thoroughly recommend The Axel Opera to all travellers to Paris who want great value without compromise to quality. Tres Bien et Tres Bien et Tres Bien.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alistair M
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Simple, no frills, but clean, cute and in a great spot. Can't really beat that if you're vacationing in Paris on a budget. Our room was small (and we're from New York, so we know small) but it was pleasant, the staff was friendly and we had plenty of hot water. Room price includes continental breakfast, a box lunch and wifi in the room. We didn't really try the box lunch. There are plenty of bakeries and cafes in Paris where one can grab a quick bite. But it was nice to be able to munch on something in the morning. Loved the location. Not really touristy at all but within about a 20 min walk of the Seine and most tourist hot spots. Also, there are metro stops close by. Kind of reminded us of Greenwich Village, at least in terms if the type of businesses around us. Hotel staff speaks some English and were also very patient with my attempts to speak French. There is also an elevator --- albeit an extremely tiny one. Noise wasn't too bad. We face the courtyard. We had a nonsmoking room, but there was one instance of smoke wafting into our room. Beds were also a bit hard, but if you're wicked exhausted -- which you will be if you spent all day wandering around Paris -- it's not so bad.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard side if you want a quieter room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chistieanddevin
Tampa, FL
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was my 3rd stop on my honeymoon tour of Europe. It is located very close to a metro stop with restaurants and shops all close by. The mall is one stop away. The room I had was HUGE by European standards. It is very cute and comfortable. The staff was absolutely wonderful. The gentleman at the front desk helped me a lot with a problem at had with the Louis Vuitton store. He resolved the problem for me and even directed me to the location where I can finalized all his hard work. I would definitely come back to this location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple