“Chic Retreat”
Review of Hotel Paradis

Hotel Paradis
Ranked #906 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our daughters booked the hotel for us as part of our 30th wedding anniversary present, knowing my penchant for chic boutique hotels. What a great find! The hotel was within 15 minutes walking distance of Gare du Nord, so easy links to Eurostar, and although we arrived way before check-in time, the staff were friendly and welcoming, and had our room ready for us in no time at all. The hip and trendy reception, lounge and breakfast areas are an oasis of calm when coming in from a busy day's sight seeing, and our room, although small, was spotlessly clean with beautifully laundered sheets, and soft fluffy towels in the pristine bathroom. We loved it!

3  Thank Michele L

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I recently stayed one night at this beaut little hotel with my husband, before flying back home. I usually stay at Hotel Therese but it was booked out so we gave this one a try. I love the design of this hotel - it is trendy, funky and fun. Great staff too! We stayed on the fourth floor and our room was great. The room was quite large, much bigger than I have experienced in Paris in the past, could easily fit two largish suitcases in the room and still move around. :) The bathroom was lovely including fab toiletries and a shower over bath combo. Bed was super comfy, so were pillows and linens. The TV was great because you could set the channels to english if you wanted to. Yes the lift is super tiny but it's a quirky feature that makes the hotel! One person and two suitcases fitted without trouble. Plus there is the staircase. My only very slight issue is the window coverings, they didn't fully cover the window so light from the street below was coming through. I think the hotel management could perhaps look at ways to reduce the noise on the lower levels, travelling from the bar below too.

I think some of the past reviews are little harsh, particularily the comment about mice in the walls. I think what may have been heard was water travelling down the pipes from floors above. I did hear the noise but it definitely wasn't mice. And as for the area, it's young and vibrant. I didn't see the beggers about, nor did I not feel safe. There are some great restaurants and bars nearby, and it's within walking distance of everything you'd need. If you are familiar with Melbourne, Australia, I would liken the area to Fitzroy.

On a whole a great stay and I would recommend it for those looking for something fun and funky without paying through the nose.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on level five and up, this might help with the street noise below.
1  Thank SallBell
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We were very satisfied with our hotel. It was extremely close to Paris Nord and Est train stations (less than 5 blocks) and close to the metro. I saw a review that stated the hotel was far away from the metro. That could be the case if you're not used to walking a few blocks. But I considered it close. It was less than a 10 minute walk. The area has recently been updated with two new bars and a restaurant that have all opened in the last 3 months. I saw a review that said it was sketchy. We felt very safe. All-in-all, if this is your first time in Europe - Yes, the hotels are small, the rooms aren't suites, there are bums on the street and you have to walk. If you're ok with that sort of thing - this hotel was really great. The breakfast wasn't good, but there were several places near to the hotel to grab a quick bite. I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel and its staff were a very pleasant surprise. I've stayed in many Parisian hotels and always felt let down. This hotel is hip, tastefully decorated with crisp clean bed linen and towels. Beautiful toiletries and small appointments. Free wifi, great breakfast and helpful staff. I thoroughly recommend it for an inexpensive stay.

Room Tip: We didn't do anything special and we were given a great room with a balcony on the street, which...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Why is this hotel less money than the ones on the west side of the city? Go outside and ask the bum sleeping on that street vent across the way. This neighborhood is technically safe, but it is one ugly broad. Even though you'll be safe, you're probably not going to feel safe. If you're on a budget, this place is alright. If you can afford better, go south or west.
The rooms are alright, not too small, really clean. There's only a tiny elevator, and we were on the fifth floor. Dem glutes tho.
Probably not good for families, or people with movement impairments, or people who get scared easily.
Oh, and there's a ton of mice living in the walls. They wake me up at night with their scratchy chorus of squeaks.
Pro tip: don't walk to or from gare du nord to this hotel. You'll probably get lost, pick pocketed, or feel like you're going to be kidnapped and sold into human trafficking.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stephanie F
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We had this hotel booked in by a travel agent so when I read the reviews (literally 2 days before we were due to arrive) I was thinking I was going to be staying in a very crappy hotel. I was really surprised. I have stayed in some 5 star places along the way and of course it is not as good as that, but we are not paying 5 star prices either. Rooms are modern, bed is comfortable and bathroom is fairly new. Location is in a very good spot! Everything is walking distance, the Eiffel Tower is 4km away however we still walked (helped burn off all the delicious food we were eating). There is an excellent place to eat across the road on the corner called Les Petites Ecuries - worth a visit especially if you don't want to travel far. You will not be disappointed by the food or staff. Staff at the hotel are very friendly and the breakfast was good - you can obviously eat out otherwise breakfast is 12 euro.

The negatives: yes the walls are thin, I am a light sleeper however this didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would after reading the reviews. No mini bar, no room service but there is a supermarket down the street for supplies. Breakfast only has hard boiled eggs and that is the only hot food.

Would I stay again? For sure! The price and location for me ticked the boxes. If I wanted a better place, I would have gone to a hotel with more stars.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn I
Reviewed May 29, 2014

You might find a better hotel than this for the same price:view from the room,space,standard...Disapointed in the end :(
but you 'll find a very clean bathroom (with little products)andthis hotel is well located and quite central,very disapointed by the decoration though compared to what i could see on the website

Room Tip: Ddo not choose a single which will be far too small and carefull the street is very noisy
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo