“Good Impression”
Review of Montpensier

Montpensier
Ranked #914 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 25, 2012

before to book this hotel, I was a bit scare for all the reviews I read but as soon as we arrived there, the hotel was pretty clean beds were clean and even the staff dont speak english or any other language we had a french english comunication, the hotel is very well located closer to the Louvre Museum.

Room Tip: I suggest if u go to France, book it there
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We found the Hotel Montpensier to be clean, but shabby. You can't beat the location. It's steps away from the Louvre and Metro. It's within walking distance of other sights, too.
The first clerk we encountered was an angry man, however, we never had any problem after that.
Ask not to go above the second or third floor, becAuse the elevator is too small for regular suitcases.
The bathroom looked like it had been redone and was very nice, in our room. The breakfast was good, for an additional €10.00 per person.
I'm not sure if there aren't nicer properties for the money. We paid €150.00 for twin beds.

Room Tip: Stay on a low floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuvCapeMay
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed two nights in November, in the twin bedroom which had a single bed and a double bed. Even with the two beds, the room had lots of free spaces. The room wasn't a renovated one, but it was probably one of the biggest rooms we stayed in during our Europe trip. Really close to the Louvre and multiple metro stations.

Breakfast wasn't included, but can't complain when the room was probably one of the cheapest around that zone. Wi-fi was also not included, but we just went to the nearest Starbucks and McD.

The elevator was tiny - I could barely fit in with my luggage.

Overall, the stay was an interesting one, but not bad at all.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located, next block to the Louvre Museum and souvenir shops just around the corner, grocery store 2 doors down if you need water or stuff. This hotel is old and our room is so small but I guess we get what we paid for. The hotel is cheap considering it's next to the Louvre and it's under construction so there's stuff everywhere. Can't complain because we were just in the room to sleep basically but I will not stay in this hotel the next time I'm in Paris.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Conveniently located near the Louvre. Staff is friendly and courteous. Unfortunately, the elevator did not work the entire time we were there, and our room was on the fifth floor. We were comped breakfast for the inconvenience, but the non-working elevator would have been an issue for anyone with health problems.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed November 18, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

In Paris for the weekend. I already had it in mind that I wanted to stay somewhere near Place Vendome, Opéra, Palais Royale. The majority of the hotels in this area are quite expensive, and while I didn't know much about this one, I took a chance because it was relatively much cheaper than the other hotels in this area, and seemed to have decent reviews. Also, I knew that I would not be in the hotel much anyway, so I wasn't so picky.

The hotel calls itself 2-stars. Really? Maybe, when all the work that they're doing inside is complete, but if it is 2-stars, it hangs on to that status barely. The photos on the website are definitely of the hotel, but they're great photos, and the lighting is great, and the colors are super saturated. In person, it looks considerably more tired.

The most standout things to me inside the hotel itself is that it seems that it is in the midst of major remodeling. I had a room on the 4th floor, and when you exit the tiny, old-school telephone booth of an elevator, if you look one direction, it's all paint smears on half-finished walls, doors laying off the hinges, etc. If you look the other direction, where the remodelling has been finished--well, it looks pretty nice. Again, when they finish repainting and re-doing the place, based on what I've seen, it should be pretty nice.

Once inside the room...it was okay. I just needed someplace halfway decent to store my bags and for me to crash out after a day wandering the city, and for that purpose it was fine. Bed as average. Linens the same. Hardwood floors that always seemed a bit dusty to me, but that could have been the type of varnish, I'm not sure. No shower/toilet amenities at all apart from the generic liquid soap dispenser nailed to the shower stall wall. Working TV, with HD channels. Mostly all French, with a few international news channels. Windows and cupboards if you needed them.

The real advantage of this place, as mentioned earlier, is the location. This is an expensive area of Paris, near some of the big landmarks, museums, and some of the ritziest shopping, and accordingly, most hotels are considerably more expensive. Also, I love that this hotel is about about a 3 min walk from the Palais Royale/Louvre Metro station (the yellow, Line 1). That's a real bonus. Apart from having lots of things very close by foot, you can hit up everything from Arc de Triomphe all the way down to Gare de Lyon with such ease, which is another big advantage.

Probably not a great spot if you want charm, but if you want a good spot, great access and transport options, and don't plan to be in the hotel other than to pass out after long days of walking all over the town, then yeah, it's worth considering.

Room Tip: My room was renovated recently. I'm not sure if all of them have. Might be worth it to ask, as...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends