“Pretty good value for Paris at a good location”
Review of Montpensier

Montpensier
Ranked #901 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights here. There were 2 of us travelling. The hotel was a little difficult to find at first (considering that my friend and I both do not know French and travelled to Paris by train), but we were lucky that we met a good French Samaritan that actually walked us to the street from Chatelet les Halles. My advice is to take the train to the Pyramides station if you want minimal walking distance to the hotel. The Chatelet les Halles is walking distance (about 15-20 minutes) if you know the direction and if you are not lugging luggage with you.

But other than the difficulty in finding the hotel at first, it is actually at a great location, it is near the Lourve (and if you walk from the Lourve, it is possible to reach a lot of the main attractions by foot) and train stations. The hotel was reasonably priced by Paris standards and gives a vintage sort of feel to it. The lift was like one of those old school small lifts that can only just fit 2 people which my friend and I thought was quite cute. The staff are also great and very helpful. We arrived early (before our check in time) and the staff tried to check us in as soon as possible without charging us any extra. So we waited for only about 30 mins and was given our room. The hotel provides free wifi that works for both computer and smart phone which is really handy. The room was pretty small and basic but as we were out sightseeing most of the time, so we were satisfied with it. The room and toilet were clean, and the room itself was pretty cozy, quiet and comfortable. They have a system of leaving your room key at the reception whenever you are out which is a little different, but it didn't bother us much.

There also seemed to some renovations going on at the hotel while we were there but it didn't bother us much as they only worked during the day time when we were out anyway.

All in all, a pretty reasonable value hotel for Paris if you are after something that provides good location, and clean rooms and toilets.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 6, 2012

It was very nice to stay in this hotel. It seemed like little bit expensive for two stars hotel but it's worth it since it's located in the heart of Paris. You can easily walk to the city center, finding restaurants (from five stars to food stalls) and shopping centres. Even Louvre is just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The staffs were also very helpful and friendly. The only disadvantage was just the elevator is too small. It's just only for 1 person. And perhaps a bit tricky to use the room key because it had unusual way to open the door.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Where do I begin? I looked at the ratings this hotel had and it looked ok, there were some negative reviews which I chose to ignore - big mistake. Ok the location is excellent, but cabs and the metro in Paris is so cheap, who cares?

1) My room (31) smelt like a cheap chinese take away
2) The walls are paper thin, the chattering of the Spanish in room 32 was as if they were in the same room.
3) It was a building site with building material stacked on the stairs.
4) It was very shabby with missing roof tiles in the false ceiling.
5) The decor was from the 1970s
(I took some pics so can prove points 3-5)
I was staying for 2 days on my own and then joined by my wife and daughter for a further 3 nights - as soon as possible we checked out and went to another hotel which cost €15 per night more and was paradise - Hotel Alison.

Put simply - do not stay here, you have been warned

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Gavin G
Reviewed October 13, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst on a short city break in Paris and found the hotel to be of a good standard of quality.

We had the deluxe family room even though there were only two of us staying here and found it to be very spacious,clean,well equipped and quiet in the evenings/mornings.

The hotel did appear to be undergoing some sort of renovations at the time of our stay so some of the decor in the hallways was a bit shabby but that's no reason to decide to stay elsewhere.

The location was perfect being literally a stones throw from the Lourve and a few minutes walk from the gardens and a metro stop.

The staff were typically French and not very welcoming but I wouldn't go as far as to say they were rude they just wouldn't win any prizes for charisma of the year.

I would go back here if I was in Paris again providing that I could get the room for the same rate of cheaper as the price was a little on the steep side when compared to other cities but this is to be expected in a place like Paris.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I booked this hotel for my parents and visited their room a number of times while we were in Paris. It is literally a 5 minute walk from the Louvre and the Louvre's metro stop. Excellent location and a phenomenal price for this location. Some of the reviews indicate complaints about the quality of the facilities. We must have received a renovated room because there were zero issues with the room. Hallways were being improved while we were there in late September, so work is still going on at the property. Definitely a recommendation. Free wifi in lobby too.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family