“Fantastic location and lovely hotel”

Hotel France d'Antin
Ranked #772 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Maidenhead, UK
“Fantastic location and lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2006

We had a family holiday in Paris in November and booked three rooms at the France d'Antin. The hotel is in a quiet backstreet, very close to L'Opera and easy walking distance to Madeleine, Louvre, Champs Elysee etc. It is also very close to Metro and Bus stops.

Rooms were of a good size, well presented and had everything you need for a base for visiting Paris. All the staff were friendly and helpful and there was always someone at the desk to provide assistance. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, although we did have some drinks in the bar, which was quiet and pleasant.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, but there were a few things, some of which other people have pointed out. The lift is small, but that is pretty standard for smaller European hotels, and the staircase is also quite small. The rooms were a good size, although we did have Superior rooms, so I can't comment on the normal rooms. The one downside was that the towels have seen better days, but that is a minor point. There was occasional noise early in the morning in the street outside, but that is part of 'waking up' in Paris as the city starts the day.

We would definitely use the France D'Antin again

• Liked — Location, quiet and clean hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — La Brioche D'Or on the way to Opera Metro serves very good value breakfast
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank daih

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2006

My stay for four nights in the Hotel France d'Antin in the Opera area was not as I expected. I asked for a NO SMOKING room and was assured that one would be reserved for me. The day before my arrival, I called the front desk of the hotel just to be sure the no smoking room would still be available and held for me, even if I checked in late. They assured me, no problem, the no smoking room would be waiting for me. Imagine my distress when I checked in around 7 PM, quite tired from two flights and found my room on the top floor was a SMOKING room, complete with strong tobacco odor and even an ashtray. I was informed that no other rooms were available due to my late check in. I was quite disappointed and had no choice but to sleep in the smoky smelly room with the windows open all night long. The next day the maid did everything possible to air out the room and sprayed but my allergies bothered me for the remainder of my stay. The staff at the front desk seemed indifferent and annoyed that I complained about my accomodation and said there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. I speak excellent, fluent French so there was no "language barrier" involved. I have complained to Parisby.Com booking service about the problem and they wrote back to apologize for the inconvenience. I will not book a room through their agency again! They definitely mishandled my reservation......and received a commission on the sale...

• Liked — Close proximity to area of my meeting and to shopping.
  • Disliked — The staff was indifferent and unhelpful when I was not given the no smoking room I had requested and CONFIRMED the day before my arrival and check in.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't use the booking service of Parisby.Com to reserve your room in Paris!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank LML747
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2006

We stayed at this hotel last year and found it so charming we are returning this year for a 2 week stay. If you are looking for a pasteurized “Sheraton” or “Hyatt”-type experience, this is not the hotel for you, but if you are looking for an authentic French experience, I highly recommend the France d’Antin. We tried this hotel after it was recommended by a friend who works in the suburbs, but comes to stay in Paris each weekend. The hotel is a converted 18th century mansion which was once the home of Alexander Dumas’ lover, Marie Duplessis, who was the inspiration for his novel La Dame aux Camelias. The romantic history of the hotel only added to our enjoyment of the place, and made for an experience that was far removed from the usual bland tourist hotel.

The rooms are not large, but they are beautifully furnished and quite comfortable. We loved to throw open the windows (which by the way, are nearly floor to ceiling) and let the nightsounds of Paris lull us to sleep, then to awaken to the sounds of the city coming to life. The bathroom was small, but like the room itself, it was luxuriously appointed. Our bathroom did not have a separate room for the toilet, so we did not have the same problem as the other reviewer. We had no need for the air-conditioner during our stay, but we were happy to know it was there if we needed it. The continental breakfast was tasty and they made the best Café au Lait we tasted in Paris! The staff was very kind and they went out of their way to make our stay especially pleasant. They also generously shared their knowledge of Paris and its history so that our visit was that much more memorable.

The elevator was one of my favorite features at the hotel, as it was so obviously made to bring modern convenience to a very old building while being unobtrusive and not distracting from its historic flavor. It is small and bullet-shaped and nestled into the free space in the interior of the spiral staircase. While we couldn’t fit all of our luggage and both our bodies in on one trip, the problem was easily resolved by making 2 trips. Since the France d’Antin is a small hotel, it wasn’t exactly a strenuous hike!

There were dozens of restaurants nearby, everything from inexpensive little bistros and cafes to grand dining, whatever we were in the mood for. It was an easy walk to the Louvre, the Opera, the Madeleine, with plenty of great shopping all around.

In conclusion, this is a fabulous little hotel to stay in for an authentic French experience. If that is what you are looking for, you will be charmed. If you want “American Hospitality”, stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Loeten, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

I pretty much agree with the previous reviewer--I, too, had a 6th-floor room overlooking the street. The traffic noise didn't bother me except for the garbage truck, which woke me up and caused me to shut the window; I don't remember anything about a smoky smell. Comfortable bed, attractive furnishings, friendly service. The breakfast was good, though small. My only gripe is that the toilet room (separate from the bathroom) was so tiny that I, a six-footer, had to sit at an angle with the door ajar... I found this hotel through the Guide Routard. A convenient place to sleep after the opera.

• Stayed September 2003
3 Thank fanoffrance
usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2005

We choose to book here even though we could not find any reviews, as duirng Oct most hotels were already booked. The online pictures gave a better impressions than what we actually experienced. The hotel is a small one, and we requested a non smoking room. Their non smoking room was for the most part a room that had been smoked in, but had been aired out and sprayed each day with air freshner. The elevator, like many in small hotels, was not big enough to fit two people with their luggage, so I walked the narror stair case to the sixth floor while my husband took the luggage up in the elevator. The entire hotel had a smokey smell to it.
I will say that the staff at the desk were always friendly, and the room we were given was large for Paris standards. We also liked the fact that the room had a small min frig, where we could keep breakfast food, cheese, and chill a bottle of wine. We did not buy the hotel breakfast, so I cannot comment on it.
While it was located off the main road, there was still a lot of traffic noise if you had your window open. I don't believe they had air conditioning, but in Oct, this was not a problem, though the room got stuffy in the night so we did open the windows, and because of the traffic noise I needed to use ear plugs. Street noise did quiet down after around 4 am.
If we returned I would select a different hotel, but would not rule it out completely if most other hotels were booked.

• Stayed October 2005