“Fantastic little gem of a French restaurant”

Aux Verres de Contact
Reserve with
Aux Verres de Contact is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,294 of 17,413 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Description: Situe a l'angle du boulevard Saint Germain et de la rue de Bievre, le restaurant Aux Verres de Contact tire son nom d'une boutade du celebre journaliste Antoine Blondin, qui rendait ses notes de frais en indiquant : "verres de contact"... Loin de l'agitation du boulevard, ce bistrot chic plein de charme vous offre en plus de la carte des vins, une carte composee de produits frais et de saison, elaboree entre autres par le chef Guillaume Delage, deja gerant de l'etablissement du Restaurant Jadis, situe dans le 15eme arrondissement ,mais surtout par la chef sarah Baraudon. Aux Verres de Contact assure le service midi de 12h15 a 14h, et le soir de 19h15 a 22h du lundi au samedi (ferme le dimanche). Possibilite de privatisation de la salle du bas pour accueillir les groupes, avec magnifique cave voutee... A tres bientot !
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic little gem of a French restaurant”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We were in Paris for 5 days in total and tried many restaurants. The only one worth reviewing was this place which IMHO had the best French style cuisine at reasonable prices (still a bit high but it was to be expected given it's located in a tourist area). The dishes were all delicately prepared with well balanced flavours/textures). The duck and beef mains were perfectly prepared...tender and juicy. Highly recommended to give it a shot. Oh and it was the only place we found which did not serve potato fries with any of their dishes!!! We were so sick of eating fries with everything....

• Visited April 2014

Rockport
“Surprise along Blvd. Saint-Germain”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

In Paris for 10 days, we decided to explore Bars-à-Vin, the wine bars of Paris. Aux Verres de Contact is a short walk, just off of Blvd Saint-Germain. Among all the excellent reviews was one that faulted a dish of duck with a parsnip purée. As a fan of parsnips, I was intrigued and ordered the magret de canard as my main dish -- rose, medium -- neither red nor brown but pink. Perfectly done. Presented with the parsnip puree and slices of sautéed apple. But first I had a soup with tiny ravioli's, haricot vert, piment rouge, tomatoes and bean sprouts -- what a colorful combination, all in a boullion flavored with artichoke. Oh my. Light and stimulating, it was not a soup to be rushed.

My wife had ris-de-veau. One of her favorite dishes though not often on a menu. She exclaimed they were the best she had ever had -- high praise from an excellent cook and unabashed food critic. In place of dessert we had the plateau de frommage. Ripe camembert, roblichon, cantal, an ash-finished chévre, bleu d'Auvergne served with a crusty dark bread.

As delightful as the food was the wine -- and the wine list. This is a bar-à-vins after all. It was great fun to select from the thoughtful and extensive list that covered only 6 smallish pages. Not one of those books with thousands of wines, but two pages of whites, four of reds and a selection of wines by the glass. All the wines they offer are available for purchase to take home at about half the in-house price. We selected a 2012 Jurançon sec as it would have the balance and depth of character to handle both ris-de-veau and the magret. Right. Finished off with the cheeses, it was just what we wanted.

The price for all this was €104. A bit steep, but then it's Paris, it's Blvd. Saint-Germain and both the skill of the chef and the selection of wines warranted the tariff. The parsnips were just an added delight.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Hexadoog
Paris, France
“Great set menu at 34 euros, expensive wine list”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Aux Verres de Contact is a little french restaurant in the 5th district in Paris, real close to boulevard St Germain. The entrance of the restaurant is a veranda nested in the corner of two houses, giving to Aux Verres de Contact a welcoming, cosy atmosphere.

Reservation was easy, made on the same day over the phone but the woman I got on the phone did not sound very friendly... We did get the same feeling when we were welcome by the waiter : professional but not smiling at all, which made us feel uneasy at first.

The restaurant offers a set menu at 34 euros (starter, main, dessert with extras for some dishes) or 29 euros (starter, main or main, dessert). The menu proposes a slightly revisited french bistro cuisine : Korean beef tartare, Lieu (fish) with lemon and curcuma sauce, etc.

Overall, we were very happy with the food. Products were of great quality, the cooking was precise (we had duck magret, fish and kidney, all perfectly cooked) and the seasoning as well. The presentation of the dishes was also pretty good : classic and elegant. The dessert though, while very good, were not that well presented...

On the wine side, we found the wine list a little bit expensive and not well aligned price-wise with the set menu. Starting prices were at around 35 euros with few options and could go up to 175 euros which in our opinion does not make sense with a set menu at 34 euros. In the end we chose a Morgon at 45 euros, which was very good. It seemed that Aux Verres de Contact is also a wine shop with all the wines for sale for half the price of the restaurant's.

The restaurant decoration is colorful, with a bar at the entrance. I would label it "modern bistro". It was nothing amazing, but not unpleasant either.

Aux Verres de Contact would hit a perfect score with a more friendly service and a less expensive wine list. Even though, I will return to this place for the quality of the food.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank mike_aji
Los Angeles, California
“Wish I heeded the bad reviews before going”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Every trip has a bad meal and this restaurant wins the award hands down. My main course duck with pureed parsnips had no flavor at all. Tasteless would be the best way to describe my meal. The pureed parsnips would have been great if I was missing all my teeth and needed to swallow my food. They utterly lacked any savoriness or texture. The cook (not chef-as a chef should know better) must have been experimenting with their Cuisinart on this one. Not sure why anyone would puree a parsnip. The duck looked more like a piece of rib. Not sure what I was served it did not taste like duck. For $50 US this was an utter disappointment for my last meal in Paris. My appetizer was the countryside pate. Eating sawdust would have been more enjoyable. There are so many good restaurants in Paris. Do yourself a favor and eat elsewhere. As for the cook, return to cooking school and learn how to use herbs and cooking in the kitchen.

As for the service-HA. I am fluent in French so communicating is not an issue. I had reservations and was given the table next to the door. I did not want this table as a I did not want to feel the cold air every time the door open and have other patrons on top of my head. No, it was not possible to change seats. I should have been grateful for that seat. The place was an oven. The waitress never brought bread to my table and I just could not be bothered asking her for it.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Tikkadog
Santa Clarita, California
“Unassuming restaurant, Amazing meal!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The location is just steps away from the boulevard. Best meal we had in Paris!! The beef tartar was amazing!! Wonderful flavor. I wish I had it now! One very sweet blonde Mademoiselle (didn't get her name) was working the room. I am a fan and have told everyone about this great find!! When in Paris, eat here!!

• Visited October 2013