“Great Hotel, Service Inconsistent”

Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome
Ranked #67 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I recently spent our 20th wedding anniversary at the Park Hyatt Vendome and overall had a very good experience. We have stayed at several other Park Hyatts, and as a Diamond member for 15 years we thought the property, location, and amenities are overall outstanding. Our Deluxe King was facing courtyard was extremely quiet, nice size room, high ceilings, very comfortable bed and pillows. I also used the fitness center almost daily, the workout area is very well laid out, great equipment - steam room, sauna, and hot tub are nice amenities and shower area that although small were fine for hotel. The receptionist at the fitness center was very nice and greeted by name starting day 2.

However, we agree with several other comments that others have posted about the attitude or arrogance of a few select staff members. For the 5 nights that we stayed in May 2014, we felt some of the doormen and concierges felt we were there for them opposed to providing services for the guests of the hotel. That is not to take away from some of the outstanding service levels we received from others including the servers for breakfast (which was outstanding quality, selection, and service), and the front desk staff who were very good.

Overall - we would stay at the Park Hyatt again. It is a beautiful hotel with so much to offer, but we encourage that management re-evaluate the few employees that when interacting with guests makes such a strong impression.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David K
Hyatt_Paris, Gérant at Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear David K,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us in our Parisian Residence.
I am more than happy to read that you enjoyed our palace hotel with your wife, especially coming from a diamond member, regarding your feedback about our staff, I would like to thank you because receive some comments from our guests is very useful helping us to improve our quality of services.
I am deeply sorry about the feeling you were affected by about our concierges and our doormen, I will investigate to resolve and improve it.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the last leg of our Europe trip, had originally planed on staying somewhere else but decided to try out Park Hyatt for the first time.

Location is good for shopping, just around the corner from Vendome with all the very high end boutiques. Galleries Lafayette is only a 10 min walk away, Louvre and Nortre Dame is a 15 min walk away.

Staff were all polite and helpful, especially the concierge who help contact our airline to ensure our pickup details were updated.

Our room was facing Rue de la Paix, but had no issues whatsoever with noise as it was soundproof. The room it self was big with high ceilings and well appointed. Beds and pillows were just right, not to soft or hard. Amenities were also perfect.

Only comment would be the breakfast, in my opinion for the fairly high price they charge per person, the selection just wasn't up to par. We stayed at Sofitel in Munich and the price for breakfast was much cheaper and had better selection, here need to add an extra 6 euro if you want eggs and bacon.

Overall though, room and service made up for it and would probably come back on my trip. But next time will find some breakfast near by at one of many cafés around the corner.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hyatt_Paris, Manager at Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear arkom,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us in our parisian residence.
I am more than happy to read you enjoyed our location and chosed our palace hotel to stay during your Europe trip.
Receive feedback from our guests is very useful helping us to improve our quality of service, I am sorry about the breakfast who didn't met your expectations and will use your comment to offer a larger selection.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

If one is looking for a 5 star hotel in the center of Paris, this establishment certainly should be on your consideration list. As expected from a high end hotel, staff was attentive and willing to help. My wife, 7 yr. old child, and I arrived very early after transferring from Disneyland Paris, and thus could not check in yet. The staff cordially asked us to return in the afternoon, but stored all our luggage and got all the preliminary paperwork out of the way.

Location of the hotel was fantastic, easy walks to the Big Bus tour stop, Louvre, and Roissybus stop to CDG. Rooms were nicely appointed with ample amounts of Evian bottled water and a welcoming shortbread cookie kit upon arrival. Nice touches to the bathroom include a heated floor when standing at the bathroom sink to keep one's feet warm.

Although a pleasant stay, the service and attention to detail still falls short when compared to Ritz Carlton and Shangri-La hotels. Being our first visit to Paris, I thought the location would be a game changer when visiting the attractions of the city. However, with the city tour bus on/off access at one's disposal, staying at the Shangri-La would be my first choice next time. At a similar price point, the luxurious feeling and welcome we received when visiting the Shangri-La had me somewhat regretting not staying there instead. Oh well, always need a reason to visit Paris again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Hyatt_Paris, Gérant at Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Jumbojetlee,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about our parisian residence, we are really attentive about customer's reviews and I am deeply sorry that your stay with us did not met your expectations.

Each review is very useful helping us to improve our services,

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Overall, this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at and definitely the very best in Europe. Stayed here for 4 nights (pooled with my mother) on the Hyatt Chase credit card offer so our stay was comped. Based on all of the reviews, I came in with high expectations and am happy to say that the hotel and the wonderful staff succeeded in exceeding them. I travel with a manual wheelchair so see below for full access details on various aspects of the hotel facilities and experience.

CHECK-IN

As soon as our taxi pulled up to the hotel, we were met by door staff who got to work opening doors, grabbing bags, and helping unfold and put together my wheelchair. The entrance is so understated that you could easily walk by it on the street and not give it a second look, but inside, the hotel is modern and luxe. The main reception and lobby is down several steps, and there's a ramp but it's way steep by U.S. ADA standards and has no siding. This, however, was not a problem because there was always a doorman or bellman around to help me go up and down.

We arrived several hours before check-in and requested that we be placed in an accessible room with two beds. This wasn't available right away in the computer, but the desk agent asked us if she could offer us a seat in the lounge and a cup of coffee while she and her supervisor figured out how to get us the room we needed. We were promptly brought two cups of coffee along with amazing chocolate truffles and a small pitcher of steamed milk. A few minutes later, the desk agent returned and said that the room was ready for us, and that though there was one bed now, housekeeping would convert it to a twin room by evening.

ROOM #1

The room was large by Paris standards (though not so much by American ones), with extra high ceilings and every convenience you can think of. There was a small sitting area with a marbled cafe style table and comfy chairs, and a bar area with a Nespresso machine, tea kettle, and plenty of complimentary pods and Mariage Freres teas (the best of the best). The curtains could be raised and lowered by pushing buttons, extra convenient for me, and a feature that comes standard for everyone.

The bathroom was very large, almost as big as the room itself, and I was extremely impressed with accessibility. When travelling around Europe, I consider it a bit of a miracle if I can access everything on my own, and this room was pretty close to perfection by ADA standards, and rarer still, without significant compromises on design or luxury features. There was a large walk-in closet area with a heated towel rack, a roll-under sink (not only are the pipes concealed but the whole thing is mirrored to keep with the room's theme), a large toilet area with plenty of perfectly placed golden grab bars alongside a Toto toilet straight from Japan, and a huge roll-in shower with both a hand-held and an overhead rain showerhead. There's no built in seat, but I called downstairs and housekeeping brought one up a shower chair within 10 minutes. My only complaint about the shower was that there was not enough room to comfortably place the shower gel/shampoo/conditioner bottles and loofah when using the shower chair. Either the chair should be a wider transfer model that then can hold all of these items, or there should be a better built-in shelf near the controls.

Toiletries are luxurious and plentiful. I became an instant fan of Blaise Mautin, which sadly cannot be purchased outside the particular Park Hyatt they're created for. There's also a whole list of stuff not already in the room that housekeeping can provide or lend, such as hand lotion, hair irons, etc.

ROOM #2

The next day, upon returning to the hotel in the evening, we were approached by a front desk staffer who told us that there was a plumbing issue with the room above ours and that it wasn't affecting our room at the time, but just in case they wanted to move us to a suite to prevent any chance of leakage, and had already set a fully accessible suite aside and put a bellman on the ready to help with the move. This was a minor inconvenience, but well worth it as the suite was gorgeous. In addition to the upgrade, management sent a hand-written card apologizing for the inconvenience, a bottle of champagne and a plate of macarons. Things can go wrong anywhere, and the handling of a potentially bad situation is what sets truly great service apart from the rest.

There were two rooms and two bathrooms, a bedroom with a king bed and a full bathroom, and a living room with a couch, table, desk, chairs, and plenty of room for a roll-a-way bed, which the hotel had already setup and was just as comfortable as a regular twin. There were large flat panel TVs and DVD players in both rooms. You can borrow DVDs through the front desk, but the selection is a bit lacking -- no new releases to be had -- though there's really not enough time to watch them anyway, you're in Paris!

There was a large accessible bathroom off the living room with a full set of grab bars by the toilet and shower. The only downside was that the suite had yet to get the Toto upgrade (extreme first world problem, I know). Additionally, the sink in the accessible bathroom was not one that you could roll under, so it was a bit difficult to use from a seated position, something that should be fixed as the design was way better in the first room we had. Both bathrooms had heated floors, the most wonderful feeling coming out of the shower.

Both the suite and room #1 faced the inner courtyard and were extremely quiet. Not a sound from the outside world.

FACILITIES

We were mostly coming and going so we didn't really explore much of the hotel.The breakfast room and restaurant looked gorgeous but were a bit out of our price range (50 EUR for breakfast, quite a bit more for dinner).

There's a spa and a small fitness center in the hotel but we didn't have time to use it. Access to spa facilities is free for guests, but requires a swim suit, which you can buy from the spa staff for just 18EUR if you don't have your own. Unfortunately, we had so little time that it came down to going to the Louvre or spa and the Louvre won so we didn't get to see it, though I'm sure it's wonderful. The gym is also free for guests but really small.

SERVICE

Service was first class all the way. Any request to housekeeping was fulfilled within 10 minutes tops. We were there over Easter Sunday and we came back to our room to find a cute little chocolate basket waiting for us, a wonderful little touch. From the whole check-in process to the way the move was handled to the doormen who instantly availed themselves to help with the steep ramp every time we went in and out, the entire experience was exceptional.

LOCATION

The hotel is right off of Place Vendome, which puts you within a 10 minute walk of almost every major tourist attraction and the main shopping area. It's a great neighborhood if you want to see the sites, but a little on the touristy side.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna P

Dear ap663,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our parisian residence with so many details inside.

First, I am more than happy to read that you felt comfortable with your wheelchair and you don't met any issue about it.
We are really attentive about customer's well-being and it is such a pleasure to read that our staff was present to help you every time you needed.

The priority of our establishment is to expect our guest's expectations and I am delighted to read that you felt that way.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Great hotel in a great location. The staff were very courteous.

Paid for a bigger room & charge for an extra bed to accommodate 3 adults. However, only two slippers, two robes, two glasses, two bottles of water, two sets of towels, etc. Minor issues, but we had to call and ask. Something we've not encountered at the Four Seasons (3 pairs of everything were prepped, even 3 pairs of pajamas). This is why Park Hyatts (even though they are very nice luxurious hotels) are below Four Season hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kate P,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about our parisian residence, I am delighted to read you enjoyed our location and our staff.
I am deeply sorry about the issues you met during your stay with us and I will investigate to resolve it.

We hope to welcoming you soon despite of this issue,

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The location and rooms and amenities were fabulous but were nothing compared to the service provided by everyone at the Hotel. We had a welcoming bottle of Champagne for our anniversary. We had reminders every morning of where and when our reservations were for dinner and on the occasion we wanted to change the location of dinner the concierge made excellent recommendations and was able to procure reservations for us within minutes. When our shade did not work a maintenance worker appeared in less than five minutes and fixed the problem. When we asked for ice it arrived almost immediately..in fact after requesting ice for three nights we arrived home from dinner on the fourth night to find ice already in the room. We have travelled extensively to five star hotels and Relais and Chateax properties and have never experienced such attention to detail and anticipation of our needs. Highly recommend this property!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear DRELS,

Many thanks for such an enthusiastic review about our hotel, I am more than delighted to read all your compliments about our property and our staff.
I am really happy you appreciated the welcoming bottle of champagne, make each guest feel comfortable is one of our priority.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Vendome for four days.
Our stay could not have been better. The location of the property is very good as it is on the right bank in an exclusive shopping district and is also in easy walking distance to the Tullaries garden and a short walk over the Seine river to the left bank.
The property is elegant and the rooms large and very well appointed.
I think the service is what makes this hotel extraordinary. The staff raises service to an art. You are greeted by name and treated with great respect. Everyone exhibits pride with the service that they provide. My husband and I felt special during our entire stay.
This is an expensive hotel and we feel that you certainly "get what you pay for".

Room Tip: Courtyard room is quitter