“Surprised to find....a nice budget hotel in the best area of Paris”

Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge
Ranked #1,028 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Contrary to most of the reviews I've seen on here I found the Hotel Saintonge to be a perfect place to spend my two days in Paris. The gentleman on the desk was charming at all times, our room was compact but clean and modern and had a fridge and a safe to keep valuables. The bathroom was recently re-tiled, well stocked with towels and soaps, a hairdryer and the room was cleaned properly...what more can I say? I was very worried because I read the reviews on here after Id booked, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised. The room cost about 115 euros a night and there are few hotels in paris in a good area for that money. I suspect the people on here who gave the hotel bad reviews are expecting 5 stars for a hundred euros but you have to be realistic. I will certainly go back again one day soon. If anything this experience has taught me to take hotel reviews with a pinch of salt.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank g_b_hart

Reviewed November 2, 2010

My wife and I spent seven nights and eight days at Hotel Saintonge, and enjoyed every minute of it. To be sure the room was small - but not tight, and certainly not as small as some I have seen- but it was easy to get around the bed and nothing unusual or out-of-the-orginary for an old building in Europe. The bathroom was recently retiled throughout, fully functional - with NO Plumbing PROBLEMS of any sort - and always spotless! The decor of the room was plain, but hardly unattractive. Our room was thoroughly serviced every morning - the bed made, the room cleaned (except for a couple of dust bunnies that I discovered behind the desk when I had to move it out to reach something that had fallen on the floor) and the bathroom scrubbed spotless until it shone. The location of the hotel on a very narrow street in the Marais district was also fantastic, and a short and delightful walk to the Seine along a great street lined with many great shops. Finally, Saintonge Street was extremely - and I stress extremely - quiet with the exception of one or two cars passing by each night, a short-lived and rather calm party at a business establishment across the street, and the footsteps of passing pedestrians which as a rule was the onluy thing we heard. Finally, the staff was great. Was it the Ritz? Or a Howard Johnson? Of course not. That is not what we were looking for and it is not what we expected. And while there is always some room for improvement - like really dressing up the rooms - I still give the hotel at least four stars. GM and NTM, Cape Cod, MA
P.S. We have some perspective as we have stayed in many hotels in all parts of the world.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwmallett
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My advice is to do not book your room at this hotel; the room are very small and dirty. Furthermore it seams that the credit card often doesn’t work!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MilanoRoma74
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Pictures don't tell the truth: We booked this hotel through France Hotel Guide Book online and were impressed with the pictures, but reality is much different. I should have read and believed the reviews. The room was not clean (litter under the bed which stayed there throughout our stay). Towel rack was broken, bathtub drain clogged, impossible to take a shower without wetting the whole bathroom. Breakfast not worth the 10 euros it costs. Noisy room. Only positive point was the location.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank npedrozo
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Receptionist asked if my wife was my wife and then made some sort of dirty weekend joke. Lift did not work. Could it go downhill from there. YES! spare the details but spent the next couple of hours finding an alternative. Ended one block from Hotel de Ville at Hotel de la Bretonnerie. Same price different class, even had a four poster bed. Based on our experience you can trust the reviews on this site. Even though we lost all the money paid on Santoigne it was worth coming to Bretonnerie.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank S_J_C_C
Reviewed September 19, 2009

after 24 hrs of travel i get to the hotel to hear from the front desk that my online reservation is not proof of reservation because it was done online. Although i had a confirmation number and all the paperwork needed i still was left without a room and a place to stay.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank br040
Reviewed September 16, 2009

The saying you get what you pay for was never more true. There are definitely better values to be had in the neighborhood. We booked this room because of the website and boy, were we duped. DO NOT believe the website! The one positive thing was that we were able to check in early - around 10am but that could have been due to the lack of guests. I wasn't expecting much from the room but when we got there, I was mortified. It was small, even by European standards, and very musty. I am glad that I only had a weekend bag because anything else would not have fit. The toilet was separate from the rest of the bathroom and let me tell you, I've been in airplane bathrooms larger than this. My friend went to take a shower and he walked out of the bathroom holding part of the shower door. Luckily, he was able to reattach it himself. I was very happy I packed my travel sleepsack because who knows what was on the bed. I noticed a stain on the bed and when I removed my sleepsack there was another brownish stain. I couldn't wait to get out of the room. Normally when I travel, I like to have some down time in the afternoon to rest and then head back out. Being here, I had no desire to do that. On Saturday, our only full day in Paris, I stayed out from 8am to 2am, with only a short stop back in the room at 10pm to drop off our bags and head back out.

We were going to check out on Sunday at noon because our train wasn't until 1:45pm so we went out to get something to eat and on the way out, my friend noticed a handwritten sign on the counter that said "credit card machine down, cash only." Needless to say, he was livid because he remembered reading an earlier post about this same situation. (By the time we read the reviews, it was too late to cancel without being penalized.) We knew the machine was working the day before and it just so happened to be down on Sunday morning when people are checking out for the weekend? We knew what kind of game they were playing so there was no way in heck we were going to pay in cash so we were prepared for a fight upon checkout and they did not disappoint. My friend turned in the key and presented his credit card, which he used to book the room, for payment to the man at the counter. The man said not a word and pointed to the sign on the counter. My friend said we didn't have any cash and it was back and forth for awhile before I finally jumped in to give my two cents. The man was like, "you cannot pay, that is your problem." I said, "no, it's YOUR problem" and he was quiet for a minute. During this time, he wasn't even looking at us, he was staring out the window. He realized we weren't going to budge so he took my friend's credit card number and said "maybe he can have it manually authorized" after my friend threatened to call the police. We sat down and he made a show of it on the phone and we hear a printing of a receipt. He shuffled some paper around so that we didn't hear it. He finally had my friend sign the bill and that was that. This man claimed to be the owner, it figures because no conscientious employee would try to pull a fast one on people, or I like to think that any other employee would crumble at the sight of my deadly stare. I have traveled to over 30 countries and stayed in many hotels and this is in my top 3 worst hotel experiences. I only wish we had taken pictures of the decrepit state of our room.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends