“High cost/ poor benefit”

Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge
Ranked #1,103 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Pictures don't tell the truth: We booked this hotel through France Hotel Guide Book online and were impressed with the pictures, but reality is much different. I should have read and believed the reviews. The room was not clean (litter under the bed which stayed there throughout our stay). Towel rack was broken, bathtub drain clogged, impossible to take a shower without wetting the whole bathroom. Breakfast not worth the 10 euros it costs. Noisy room. Only positive point was the location.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank npedrozo

Reviewed November 27, 2009

Receptionist asked if my wife was my wife and then made some sort of dirty weekend joke. Lift did not work. Could it go downhill from there. YES! spare the details but spent the next couple of hours finding an alternative. Ended one block from Hotel de Ville at Hotel de la Bretonnerie. Same price different class, even had a four poster bed. Based on our experience you can trust the reviews on this site. Even though we lost all the money paid on Santoigne it was worth coming to Bretonnerie.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank S_J_C_C
Reviewed September 19, 2009

after 24 hrs of travel i get to the hotel to hear from the front desk that my online reservation is not proof of reservation because it was done online. Although i had a confirmation number and all the paperwork needed i still was left without a room and a place to stay.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank br040
Reviewed September 16, 2009

The saying you get what you pay for was never more true. There are definitely better values to be had in the neighborhood. We booked this room because of the website and boy, were we duped. DO NOT believe the website! The one positive thing was that we were able to check in early - around 10am but that could have been due to the lack of guests. I wasn't expecting much from the room but when we got there, I was mortified. It was small, even by European standards, and very musty. I am glad that I only had a weekend bag because anything else would not have fit. The toilet was separate from the rest of the bathroom and let me tell you, I've been in airplane bathrooms larger than this. My friend went to take a shower and he walked out of the bathroom holding part of the shower door. Luckily, he was able to reattach it himself. I was very happy I packed my travel sleepsack because who knows what was on the bed. I noticed a stain on the bed and when I removed my sleepsack there was another brownish stain. I couldn't wait to get out of the room. Normally when I travel, I like to have some down time in the afternoon to rest and then head back out. Being here, I had no desire to do that. On Saturday, our only full day in Paris, I stayed out from 8am to 2am, with only a short stop back in the room at 10pm to drop off our bags and head back out.

We were going to check out on Sunday at noon because our train wasn't until 1:45pm so we went out to get something to eat and on the way out, my friend noticed a handwritten sign on the counter that said "credit card machine down, cash only." Needless to say, he was livid because he remembered reading an earlier post about this same situation. (By the time we read the reviews, it was too late to cancel without being penalized.) We knew the machine was working the day before and it just so happened to be down on Sunday morning when people are checking out for the weekend? We knew what kind of game they were playing so there was no way in heck we were going to pay in cash so we were prepared for a fight upon checkout and they did not disappoint. My friend turned in the key and presented his credit card, which he used to book the room, for payment to the man at the counter. The man said not a word and pointed to the sign on the counter. My friend said we didn't have any cash and it was back and forth for awhile before I finally jumped in to give my two cents. The man was like, "you cannot pay, that is your problem." I said, "no, it's YOUR problem" and he was quiet for a minute. During this time, he wasn't even looking at us, he was staring out the window. He realized we weren't going to budge so he took my friend's credit card number and said "maybe he can have it manually authorized" after my friend threatened to call the police. We sat down and he made a show of it on the phone and we hear a printing of a receipt. He shuffled some paper around so that we didn't hear it. He finally had my friend sign the bill and that was that. This man claimed to be the owner, it figures because no conscientious employee would try to pull a fast one on people, or I like to think that any other employee would crumble at the sight of my deadly stare. I have traveled to over 30 countries and stayed in many hotels and this is in my top 3 worst hotel experiences. I only wish we had taken pictures of the decrepit state of our room.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank SeriousTravelerGirl
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We staid in this hotel for 3 nights, after booking through parismarais.com (quite a bit cheaper than the advertised rates!). As our flight arrived at 6 am, we were hoping we could check in early - and indeed they let us. The room (street side) was small but had everything we needed - a nice bathroom, a comfortable bed, a phone, a desk. The staff was nice and helpful. The neighbourhood is fantastic - so much to see, historic buildings, lovely streets, cafe's shops. All in all a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anne_12386
Reviewed November 27, 2008

In November I stayed at the Hotel Saintonge at the recommendation of my client. In other words it was what they would pay for, was close to our venue, and also offered a degree of entertainment in a good part of the city. I stayed there 9 nights. This hotel is run by 5 people only and they spend a great deal of time in their establishment. The experience I had was quite good given that I was there for an extended period. The front desk was glad to keep my key as I went out each day; I didn't have to keep track of that. They remembered me by name as I returned each day and were very, very helpful when I had questions on restaurants etc. The hotel is in a very good neighborhood, on a relatively quiet street, far enough away from the rue Bretaigne so as not to attract the passing drunks. I thought the people at the Hotel wer outstanding. If another traveler had a difficult time, it may be their own fault. Perhaps they were too demanding, not flexible, or expected a degree of luxury at the price. The room I had was small, something to be expected I think. It had a double bed and a large bathtub. For the person accustomed to the marble shower, this is not the place. You simply have to make do. The tradeoff is that you're in the middle of everything on the right bank. It's an easy walk to the Louvre, the Notre Dame, to the Pomp Centre and to the Picasso Museum. I had a street side room, small, with a lightbulb out. Not a problem .The television had about 7 channels, once again not a problem. I wasn't there to watch TV. The phone didn't work in the room. Once again not a problem - the desk was happy to lend their phone for local calls, the grand total of which was 1 call. When I go to Paris, I don't want phone calls anyway. I have a secretary in the states that handles those things for me. There was excellent wireless internet throughout the hotel. The breakfast for 10 Eur was good, probably a value in comparison to the brasseries. The coffee was strong and hot, there were croissants and hot bread, and there was yogurt, juice, and cereal. Given the cost of restaurant meals in Paris, it's useful to have a cheap meal in the day to economize. The Rue de Bretagne is half a block. There is a patisserie, a fromagerie, a chocolatier, many bistros (try Ninesse - it's wonderful and directly across the street). The post office is near, laundry is near. Go to any of the bars closeby and simply watch people walk by. You get what you pay for, and in this instance you get the basics. Your memories of Paris will come from things other than the hotel. In fact, you may remember the hotel, and all the things you saw while staying there. That's better. It's a French Hotel in the Marais district.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank drdoug3
Reviewed November 16, 2008

You may be in for a surprise if you believe that the published photos of Hotel Saintonge have anything to do with the reality of the place. Our room was advertised as a double room; the reality--overlooking a light well--was two single beds tied together in a room barely large enough for one single bed. When leaving we were informed that the credit card machine was "down" so we had to pay in cash, something we had not counted on and since it was a Sunday, something with which we barely were able comply. The hotel reception became rather testy when we explained that this would cause us a great deal of inconvenience. We will NEVER stay there again!

Stayed: October 2008