“This is a pretty awful hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge

Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge
Ranked #1,112 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
London
“This is a pretty awful hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The room was small and dark (no window). It felt damp. The shower was broken in the bathroom and worst of all the wifi did not work. The room was cleaned on daily basis but the maid was very careless with my possessions which I didn't appreciate. I was very disappointed and felt deceived as this hotel is described as 3* but it is far below the mark for 3 stars.

I would never recommend this hotel to anybody and would like to warn everyone against staying there.

Room Tip: I suppose there are some rooms with windows so it might be important to request one. I made my reser...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank FranKublik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here in the weekend of 6 july 2012. The hotel rooms are not the prettiest and are a bit outdated. Ofcourse the room was small, its Paris!?

However, the room was clean and the bed was good and the shower was spacious. The Hotel is very well located in the Marais. I also did not really like that the window came out on a small corridor, where people could pass by and could come in, however this is not different in many other hotels (taken into account that not many people will have such intent, especially since it would only concern other hotel guests and not people from the street).
Overall I think that the hotel offers what you are paying for. Since I have stayed in many hotels in Paris, I would say that this does not differ from many other hotels. I you want luxury or at least a modern hotel room, prices will vary between EUR 300 and EUR 500. For EUR 112 a night you can stay in Hotel Saintonge, I would consider staying here again since its cheap and pretty much ok.

I would recommend it to other people, but please dont have high expectations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Unfortunately My room was very small but that is acceptable in Paris, yet it also was dated, worn out and lacked privacy, I had to sleep with my window open (which was on the internal shaft/corridor and people could easily come in) since there was no cooling and although the temperature was not that hot it was boiling. the room furniture along with the bathroom were dated big time and the bed sheets had holes & the safe was broken and detached from the wall, The Plusses were the very friendly staff who are the reason why i gave it a 2* and the location which is quite central and close to the Marais. As for breakfast I cannot comment as I never have breakfasts in hotels.

Room Tip: avoid room 24, and internal rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I booked rooms at this hotel and then found the poor ratings on this site. I decided to cancel the booking based on these reviews. I cannot get anyone to cancel the booking! I went through France Hotel Guide and neither they nor the hotel respond to their emails, the "cancel booking" button on my confirmation page on the Guide's webpage does not work, and hotel employees say their is nothing they can do to cancel the booking (talked to two different employees two different times).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel R
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Having in been in Paris several times, i decided to experience staying closer to the centre of the city in the Marais district. While the location of the hotel is convenient, everything else is terrible. The room meant for two people, could barely fit in one person. It had no windows, it was dirty and unclean. mould everywhere, ceiling seemed to be caving in, the concierge was very unhelpful, free wifi (as promised on our reservation) was not available.
For the same price you can stay anywhere else in Paris and receive much more value for your money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Turi123
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I would never in a million years choose to stay at the Hotel Saintonge. You couldn't pay me to stay here again. I was tricked into staying here when I arrived in Paris after 15 hours of traveling I found their sister hotel, the previously gorgeous and well-located Hotel Saint Merry, had closed and not notified me of their closure. I was directed - by a weathered paper sign on the board where the door used to be - to go to the Hotel Saintonge, the sister hotel of Hotel Saint Merry. Despite being closed and boarded up for months, Hotel Saint Merry is still accepting reservations!

My room was filthy. So filthy that I never let my socks or feet touch the floor. I wore shoes even to take the 2 steps from the bed to the bathroom. The room was small, dark, dingy and the only chair was covered in stains. With ONE electrical outlet in my room, I had to chain all of my electronic devices to recharge anything (phone, camera, laptop). There is free wifi for about 4 hours no matter how long you stay. 4 hours of internet was not enough to find another hotel. I attached photos. One window opened, but it opened onto a noisy street full of businesses, one of whom was moving in and making an obscene racket for 12 hours (except for lunchtime). No ventilation or air circulation even with the window open. Plus, the offices across the street can see directly into the rooms. I had to close the heavy curtains to change clothes.

In my first floor room, the front desk clerk could be heard loud and clear from the lobby starting at 8AM. I could also hear all the guests around me. The walls are paper-thin.

The elevator isn't big enough for one person and their luggage. The steep stairs aren't lit and are very treacherous. The security is non-existant. I won't go into security lapse details to protect other travelers, but I took as many of my valuables as I could carry with me each day. The night clerk is worthless. He was unwilling to even leave a note for the manager when I asked. Also, the maid came once in 3 days. It took me a day to find the pillows (which were in the closet, not on the bed). I always travel with my own pillowcase and this time I was darn glad I did!

The location is not technically in the Marais despite its claim. The neighborhood is a maze of tiny streets with inconvenient Metro stops and no cute cafes or shops. The streets are dark and lifeless at night. Walks from the Metro after 11PM were downright scary for a single man who is 6 feet 225 pounds.

I called a dozen hotels. I went to the front desks of another dozen. I tried to book online. I spent 3 days in Paris looking for another hotel rather than enjoying the arts and culture and food and wine. Any traveler knows you can't just get a room for that night at any hotel in Paris in mid-May. The Saint Merry/Saintonge switcheroo ruined my trip.

And, even aside from the bait-and-switch, the Hotel Saintonge is worse than any Motel 6 I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Patrij B
Almaty, Kazakhstan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I do read reviews but make a decision based on location only as i travel by business and out of the hotel 18 hours out of 24. I never have breakfast in the hotels as there are so many nice places to eat at Marais. The staff at this hotel is VERY nice and EXTREMALY friendly and they always made my days - it is VERY important to me. I stayed four nights a double bed room (room N 44) and i did enjoy my in and outs. The room was of good size, was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable with nice pillows as well as pretty big bathroom with shower. There was a nice size wardrobe in the room as well as table and little flat TV, there is a free wifi though the booking sites say there is not. It's five minutes from Metro station filles du calvaire. The price of room was very good for this level of hotel, this district and this time of year so I do recommend it. It’s just funny to read the reviews from people expecting 5* room decoration in 3* (or even 2*). I liked my stay and have a very positive aftertaste.

Room Tip: There are no tea/coffee facilities in the room, the hairdryer is a bit weak, suggest you carry yours...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business