“Its' average.”

Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge
Ranked #1,087 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My cousin and I met in Paris for a quick trip for the French Open so we were planning to stay at the hotel much at all.
We were greeted by the owner - lovely man. He was accommodating.
The other staff were pretty blah... a robot could have done the same thing.
When we went to pay, we hoped to split the tariff but the lady behind the desk wouldn't let us as she said that she preferred not to pay the commission on the credit cards - EVEN THOUGH ONE OF US WAS PAYING CASH.
Doesn't make sense.
The towels in the rooms had holes in them and the walls between the walls are paper thin.
Not worth what we paid.
Location was the best thing about it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank farrahmu

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Although the hotel may appear to be in need of some LTC, everything is functional and clean. The room size is standard for the Parisian standards. It´s located in a very quiet, residental street, just steps from the vibrating life of Le Marais. Definitely worth the money. Breakfast is probably an affair to skip - as did we- as there´s plenty of nice places around to enoy a cup of coffee and a croissant out in fresh air rather than in a basement.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Contrary to most of the reviews I've seen on here I found the Hotel Saintonge to be a perfect place to spend my two days in Paris. The gentleman on the desk was charming at all times, our room was compact but clean and modern and had a fridge and a safe to keep valuables. The bathroom was recently re-tiled, well stocked with towels and soaps, a hairdryer and the room was cleaned properly...what more can I say? I was very worried because I read the reviews on here after Id booked, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised. The room cost about 115 euros a night and there are few hotels in paris in a good area for that money. I suspect the people on here who gave the hotel bad reviews are expecting 5 stars for a hundred euros but you have to be realistic. I will certainly go back again one day soon. If anything this experience has taught me to take hotel reviews with a pinch of salt.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank g_b_hart
Reviewed November 2, 2010

My wife and I spent seven nights and eight days at Hotel Saintonge, and enjoyed every minute of it. To be sure the room was small - but not tight, and certainly not as small as some I have seen- but it was easy to get around the bed and nothing unusual or out-of-the-orginary for an old building in Europe. The bathroom was recently retiled throughout, fully functional - with NO Plumbing PROBLEMS of any sort - and always spotless! The decor of the room was plain, but hardly unattractive. Our room was thoroughly serviced every morning - the bed made, the room cleaned (except for a couple of dust bunnies that I discovered behind the desk when I had to move it out to reach something that had fallen on the floor) and the bathroom scrubbed spotless until it shone. The location of the hotel on a very narrow street in the Marais district was also fantastic, and a short and delightful walk to the Seine along a great street lined with many great shops. Finally, Saintonge Street was extremely - and I stress extremely - quiet with the exception of one or two cars passing by each night, a short-lived and rather calm party at a business establishment across the street, and the footsteps of passing pedestrians which as a rule was the onluy thing we heard. Finally, the staff was great. Was it the Ritz? Or a Howard Johnson? Of course not. That is not what we were looking for and it is not what we expected. And while there is always some room for improvement - like really dressing up the rooms - I still give the hotel at least four stars. GM and NTM, Cape Cod, MA
P.S. We have some perspective as we have stayed in many hotels in all parts of the world.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwmallett
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My advice is to do not book your room at this hotel; the room are very small and dirty. Furthermore it seams that the credit card often doesn’t work!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MilanoRoma74
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Pictures don't tell the truth: We booked this hotel through France Hotel Guide Book online and were impressed with the pictures, but reality is much different. I should have read and believed the reviews. The room was not clean (litter under the bed which stayed there throughout our stay). Towel rack was broken, bathtub drain clogged, impossible to take a shower without wetting the whole bathroom. Breakfast not worth the 10 euros it costs. Noisy room. Only positive point was the location.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank npedrozo
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Receptionist asked if my wife was my wife and then made some sort of dirty weekend joke. Lift did not work. Could it go downhill from there. YES! spare the details but spent the next couple of hours finding an alternative. Ended one block from Hotel de Ville at Hotel de la Bretonnerie. Same price different class, even had a four poster bed. Based on our experience you can trust the reviews on this site. Even though we lost all the money paid on Santoigne it was worth coming to Bretonnerie.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple