“Good location, poor value for money”

Hotel du Plat d'Etain
Ranked #748 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The location was good, close to the Metro and lots of nice restaurants around. We had a room on the 3rd floor and did use the stairs often instead of the small lift. The room had a big post in the middle. Breakfast was chaotic one day when it seemed everyone in the hotel came at once and there just wasn't enough room. I thought it was a bit expensive for what we got.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I think the only negative was that I ordered a room for myself, the wife and our sixteen year old girl. We got a 'poor man's triple', where they stuff a rolling bed in the corner and it barely fit.
The elevator was microscopic - it can literally fit only two people and two bags! But at least they *had* an elevator and in hotels this old that's not always a given! So, I consider that a plus, actually.
The breakfast buffet was clean and neatly laid out and the staff were quite nice. It's continental, so don't expect much, even for ten euros (although I saw hard-boiled eggs, which was a first for me).
The bathroom was quite spacious and as it *was* France, there was a bidet, of course (not that any of us used it - just a source of amusement).
Our rooms weren't ready on arrival, which was, admittedly, a bit early (two-ish?), so the manager took off the cost of the first day's breakfast (that's 30 euros!). So we put our bags in the 'baggagerie' and went for lunch. Upon return, the room still wasn't ready (despite assurances), so he gave us a day of internet for free. No complaints from me on that part, honestly. Mistakes will happen and he made compensation for us - I'm good with that. At least we got more than just an apology.
All told, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank grimftl
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel four or five times, including during my birthday and wedding celebrations in Paris, and it is one that I will always return to, mainly because of the cost and the excellent location. Proximity to the Metro really couldn’t be better and it is close enough to walk to the Marais area and many tourist attractions such as the Pompidou Centre and the islands. At this price, guests shouldn’t expect luxury, but the facilities are fine and the reception staff members were friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and on my most recent visit, I had a bath instead of just a shower. There is a safe in each room, a TV, wardrobe, and mini fridge. The bed was comfortable and clean, and if street noise bothers you, wear earplugs. For those who think the lift/elevator is small, welcome to Paris. Have you seen all those sprightly old French grandmothers? They stay in top condition because they *walk* to the top floor of their building. Lifts such as these were designed mainly to move baggage to the rooms; a walk up or down the stairs is a good way to work off all those croissants. I think the comments about the neighbourhood being unsavoury are rather naïve. Paris is a big city, and this is not a swanky area; however, with the right attitude, it is possible to discover a great deal of charm just outside this hotel. The Musée des Arts et Métiers is just a couple of blocks away, and they were holding a free events day for families during my visit. There is a historic theatre one street away from the hotel where John Malkovich was soon to appear as director of Les Liaisons dangereuses, and I have had several tasty meals in the area just through the St Denys arch, including an Indian meal eaten outdoors under the stars. Come here with the right attitude and you’ll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GeorgeHCS
Reviewed June 3, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank OmarZoya
Reviewed May 5, 2012

surname stay, no reservations, good location close to metro and to city centre

Room Tip: 3 bed rooms are large and have 3 single beds
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I recently used this hotel for a business trip to Paris and found it to be a good hotel for the money. Location was close enough to city centre for me to walk (15 mins to Les Halles) but there is a metro station very close nearby too (Strasbourg Saint-Denis), which is on 3 metro lines. There is a supermarket nearby (monoprix) and a few reasonable restaurants. Inside reception was clean and tidy with friendly and helpful staff. Lift is very small. Room was clean and a decent size and bathroom adequate for purposes. Actually had a good powerful shower that was fine for my height (6'3'' or 190cm), unlike too many hotels I've been in. Only problem was the hotel sign outside my room, which cast too much light in despite having black out curtains. Breakfast canteen was bright and spacious with friendly staff and a reasonable selection (continental,cereal,croissants etc). Overall a good hotel and good compromise between cost and distance from the city centre.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Derek H
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Good hotel close to metro station with lines to all the turist attractions. Kind and helpfull staff in the reception. Sufficient breakfast in the "restaurant". Room quite worn, but clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family