“There are better places, but not that bad”

Hotel du Plat d'Etain
Ranked #780 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“There are better places, but not that bad”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stayed the end of Sept 2011 for 3 days. 2 couples in a quad room. The hotel was a short 15 min walk from the West train station and we thought it was easy to find. We arrived early - 1 pm and the young Asian lady (sorry, I lost her name....) was very helpful and friendly spoke perfect english. We unexpectantly got right into the room. It was small, but clean. The bathroom was huge - 2 sinks and tub with a shower - however no shower curtain or any indication there ever was one. We were on the 4th floor - the elevator is old, small and slow and all we did was send the luggage up. The stairs are winding and a bit in disrepair. The room did have a small, ineffective AC unit and it was unseasonably warm - in the upper 70s - we wound up just sleeping with the windows open. There is a fair amount of traffic noise, but not something a cheap pair of foam earplugs didn't handle.

The metro station was a block away and there was several cafe's and a grocery store that was opened fairly late which was convenient. We didn't see any hookers on the street, only one homeless guy who had set up a nice little cardboard apartment near the metro - he wasn't bothering anyone that we could see.

Other than walking from the train station to the hotel and the hotel to the metro station/grocery we didn't do any walking around that area. Most of the sites were about a 15 min metro ride - and we did come back fairly late a couple of nights and didn't feel unsafe.

As mentioned in other posts - the night desk clerk was absolutely useless - our TV remote was not in room and we didn't realize it until around 10 pm when we got back the first night - he insisted we did have one - so I just went downstairs and took his while he wasn't looking - so in the end I guess he was right. We didn't have a problem getting in after the doors were locked.

The maid service was good - the room was made up and fresh towels every day. No indication that any of our belongings had been looked over.

So all things considering it is what it is, in an expensive city it was an average room - I think they charge too much for what you are getting ,but this is Paris after all and everything is expensive. Would I stay here again, who knows - would depend on what I could find elsewhere, this was a last minute trip. If the metro was any further away then you would want to avoid this property.

I waited to post this until the credit card charges had cleared - like others had mentioned we did not get a receipt when we checked out - it was the worthless night desk clerk as we had an early flight out. He stated I would get it in and email - that never happened. But no surprise charges. The hotel was booked through American Express.

Room Tip: If you have a problem negotiating stairs choose another property.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michael M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I wanted to leave as soon as I walked in. Not only is the decor old and shabby, but it generally felt unsafe. With hookers on the streets outside AND in the next room, I don't know how I lasted three nights. The shower was mouldy and the towels dingy and gray. Yes they're is air conditioning, but right over the bed. The Asian woman at the front desk was the only decent source of service. Close to the subway, but so are much better hotels for the same price or better. It definitely made me not like Paris as much.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Lizzy177

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Tehran, Iran
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We had a trip to this hotel last summer an it was awful! rooms were dirty and untidy and staff had a bad behavior and the location was disappointing full of criminals the only thing was that it was near the metro station!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Arminkh
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The hotel itself is close to the metro and walk from big streets, but once the sun starts going down it is desolate and scary. The hallways are dark, and hot water runs out if you shower later in the morning. Not sure if this is normal, but there are prostitutes in the surrounding streets (they look like nice girls). The hotel room itself is depressing, but I got used to it after a night, and the sheets had foot prints. The bathroom was small but nicely redone. The hotel staff are friendly until there is an issue. They were Rude once I told them I needed to check out earlier than scheduled and said they would bill me anyway. I ended up paying cash for an additional night not to deal with it, but I discovered they charged my credit card for unknown things I am now disputing. I had settled my bill in cash upon leaving! Citibank told me even if there are early termination agreements they will fight paying for a night you do not stay, lesson learned. The desk clerk would not give me a receipt until I gave him a euro (because he said he gave me too much change an hour earlier and it would come out of his pocket). Long story short, there are better hotels for the same rate or cheaper in better areas with nicer staff and accommodations!!! This hotel was one of the reasons I didn't want to stay in Paris.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Chrstne
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The hotel was clean, comfotable, friendly and welcoming and situatied in a nice area with many restaurants and bars. Having just checked in at the airport to come home, I realised I had left two of my favourite dresses in the wardrobe of the room. I rang the hotel and explained the situation and one of the receptionists (Muriel) was extremely helpful: she foud the dresses for me and put them in the post immediately . I offered to pay for the postage but was informed that this was a service they are happy to provide for their guests. I would strongly recomment this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank asw27
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I actually found this hotel through Amex Travel. Initially after reading the reviews I had mixed feelings. If you are big on hotels and luxurious amenities this isn't necessarily the place for you. Most likely if you are in Paris you are going to be spending the majority of your time out of the hotel so the Hotel du Plat d'Etain will be just perfect. The front desk staff was friendly and the hotel room was very clean. My only complaint was the room was very small, but the cleanliness was a huge selling point for me. I was literally only there for sleep and showers so this was great. There is a tv in the room and the internet service was 4€ for 24 hours. I stayed in room 105 which had a double bed, a shower, and a view of a side street. The hotel was in a nice quite area and very close the the Strasbourg-Saint-Denis, Temple, and République metro stations. I would stay there again if visiting this area of Paris.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank RastaEmpress13
ABRUZZO
Reviewed April 30, 2011

The hotel is located in a quiet area of ​​Paris, about 100 meters from the subway station Strasbourg-Paris St. Denis, served by three lines with 4, 8 and 9. In about 15 minutes to reach all the strategic places for sightseeing. The hotel is not new but is well kept, and cleanliness is excellent. Our triple room was large and the bathroom was almost another room. The elevator is a bit 'small and not very convenient as the stairs are very comfortable, but unless you have serious physical problems or claustrophobia, are both available without problems. the staff is very courteous and willing to answer any questions with kindness. For the price and location, I think it's a really good compromise for those who need a starting point for exploring the city. would not recommend it for those who love the hotel life. breakfast, we can not judge because we have always used the best bakery and the wonderful bars that are 20 meters from the hotel. Recommended.

Room Tip: Our room was number 410 on the fourth floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family