“Staff maintain grand old Parisienne reputation for off-handedness and rudeness”
Review of Palais de Tokyo

Paris Left Bank Tour by 1963 Peugeot 404
Ranked #149 of 1,124 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Palais de Tokyo is a contemporary art center displaying temporary exhibitions
Dalkey Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The majority of Parisians these days, I find, are welcoming, friendly and helpful, which I have to say is a change from days gone by. But, perhaps surprisingly for a museum dedicated to the modern, the staff in this place both individually and collectively have the old tradition of shrugging indifference and unveiled contempt down to a T. For a new visitor the layout of the building isn't immediately clear, but don't waste your time looking for help - or indeed eye-contact - from the zombies working here.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank SETDalkeyIreland

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Check what's on before you go. Look for the Eiffel when you step out.”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Since most other Paris museums close before sunset, I thought to make good use of my evening by going to the Palais, which closes at midnight (or so my guidebook indicated). While I got off at the Palais bus stop, I wasn't actually sure it was the building in front of me - it was dark, there was no sign. I walked to the first door, which turned out to be that of a restaurant, and was told by the doorman the museum was fermé (closed). After going out of my way, I wasn't about to give up just yet though. I walked up some stairs in the middle of the building - though it was dark and hardly anyone. Quite a contrast from all other museums. To my relief, the stairs did lead to the museum - and it was open. And it was free - but there was only one exhibit that night. Thankfully, it was a shoe exhibit honouring the works of Roger Vivier, whose customers have included Queen Elizabeth II (for her coronation), Catherine Deneuve...etc. If not for that exhibit, my efforts to get to the Palais would have come to nothing. I was lucky. Oh, the upside to visiting this place is that you get a great view of the Eiffel Tower when you step out. In fact, if you cross the bridge and walk about a kilometer or so, you will find yourself at the base of the Eiffel Tower. A brief, safe and very rewarding walk.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank gershwingoddess
Atlanta, Georgia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Really interesting place, but...”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stopped by for a quick drink, with the thought that I'd then go to the museum afterwards. The service (lack thereof) is what prompted me to not continue as planned. I arrived at a time when the restaurant was virtually empty, but the bar area had approximately 8 people. A grand total of 8 to 10 people. I waited for an unreasonable amount of time - yes I'm from the States - to simply be acknowledged by the staff. Then, when finally ordering a beer, it took another eternity to receive said beer. I understand the pace and idea of 'service' is different in Paris (Europe for that matter), but ordering and receiving a beer in 30 minutes during a non-prime time is unacceptable. If borderline rude non-service is your thing, this is your place....

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ccsmith85
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“where is modern art going?”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The dilapidated building used for the museum, is part of the ideaology. nearly every exibit has it's own music or sound, and the sounds of all exibits turn into a big noise. I thought it was also part of the say, but i went out with a headach... the best thing was a instelation that looked like a tree symbiosis with the building. just for it the visit was worth while.

Visited August 2013
Kimberly, Idaho
157 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“some hard to stomach exhibits @ Palais de Tokyo”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

One man's Garbage is another man's Art -- Much like one man's food is another man's poison. I found a majority of the work there revolting.
It sounds harsh but Contemporary Artists strive to stir public reactions.
Then they tap that reaction to their favor. Contemporary Artists use persuasion to sell their ideas and concepts. It is all very calculated marketing. The rich will throw their $$$ at these Artists because it feeds their ego. The rich want to be perceived as hip and with the "In" crowd when they patronize such works.

One installation had a replica cemetery with a corpse in what looked like a witch's black robe lying on chairs -- creepy!
Within 15 mins walk through, I was clutching my belly, repulsed and sick.
I sought refuge at the lobby for an agonizing 2 hours before my Fiancee
was done touring. He was amused by all that shock value. Argghh..

I can't believe I paid them 10Euros to be visually tortured.
Now who was the fool here?

Visited July 2013