“A trip to Paris is not complete without Madame Ricki Stevenson's tour”

Ricki Stevenson's Black Paris Tours
Ranked #92 of 552 Tours in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A walking-public/city bus tour that takes you to the Paris haunts, hangouts and places made famous by African-Americans. Founded in 1997 by former newscaster and travel reporter, Ricki Stevenson, Black Paris Tours provides little-known facts about the early presence of Africans and African Americans in the City of Light and introduces travelers to great jazz clubs, Diaspora museums of interest and restaurants worth writing home about!
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Madame Stevenson knowledge of the contribution that persons of African descent have made to Paris and France as a whole is refreshing and awe inspiring. This is especially important given the fact that contributions made by African descents are often unacknowledged. As you tour the city of Paris, you feel a sense of pride at the accomplishments that have been made by people of color. If you have an ounce of thirst for knowledge, you will not be disappointed. A trip to Paris will not be complete without Madame Stevenson's tour.

6  Thank t1raveldiva

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Ricki's bio of Paris made the trip awesome. She captivates her audience with her historical overview of Paris, She is so elequent in her presentation and demeanor. I wish that I had a tape recorder to capture the essence of her presentation, She made Paris come alive for me. I thought that all day on a bus could be boring, however, I totally forgot I was on a bus and at times closed my eyes just to feel and imagine the past and let people and places come into to focus in my mind. Thanks to RIcki - keep up your legacy of educating the world on Paris.

2  Thank cathy d
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Madame Ricki Stevenson....I learned so much on this tour about the history of people of African descent in France. Firstly, I am a Travel Agent and "highly recommend" this tour to anyone who is interested in history. I did not know that tens of thousands of African Americans relocated to France for a better life and opportunity, during a very harsh and hostile time. This tour was even more than what I expected. To be able to walk in the footsteps of such greats, as, Alexander Dumas, Josephine Baker, Frederick Douglas, Paul Robson, Carter G. Woodson, Marcus Garvey, The Harlem Hell fighters, all of the Jazz Greats, like Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, and so many more, was a real treat. There were about 11 of us on the tour and I can truly say that we were all in awe! Ricky Stevenson and her associate, Dawa, not only shared many unknown facts, figures and historical sites, but also gave lessons on street-smarts, proper etiquette, and getting around the city easily on our own. We did alot of walking and got on several buses. This allowed us to really get into the groove of Paris, and getting comfortable about moving around the city. We made a stop at a local bakery where I just could not resist getting a Napolean and then to an open Market (Marche), where we had a shopping opportunity and a chance to taste a delicious Ghanian treat! To top the tour off, we were taken to a Senegalese Restaurant for lunch, where the food was wonderful, and then on to Little Africa. Ricki's professionalism and passion for this history, made for a deep and exciting experience. This tour is truly a testament to the ancestors who are consistently left out of the history lessons we learn in our education. Thank you Ricki Stevenson for telling our story and keeping the history alive! Just returned to U.S. this morning. I will download our group photo soon!

6  Thank MaureenVJohnson
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Ricki's tour was absolutely amazing.
A second time is a must!
Ricki was very knowledgeable and the sites were captivating.
My only wish is that is would be longer....
I could've listened to her all day.

3  Thank DuriyahWilborn
Reviewed March 31, 2013

"Call on your ancestors wherever you go", was the introduction to this tour. These were some of the first words spoken by Ricki when having to introduce ourselves to the other members of the tour. She taught us there there is a link to our ancestry everywhere we go. What I particularly loved about this tour was the very rich and fulfilling history of African Americans, also, the fact the Ricki curtailed the tour to each person's particular interest. I was most interested in taking home some art of Mrs. Jospehine Baker and Ricki walked me into the "off the beat and path" store where I found my pieces of the black woman who had such an influence on Paris and the French themselves. Ricki was informative, patient and passionate about her work also her enthusiasm showed when meeting each person in the tour. I was truly, truly enlightened and my perspective of Paris has expanded after having taken her tour. I recommend her tour, not only to black people, but for every person who has an interest in learning about the history of blacks in France, how we got there, the influence we had and the jazz age. It was an all day tour that sped by. Sign up!

4  Thank Trudi R