“Much More Than I Expected!”

Ricki Stevenson's Black Paris Tours
Ranked #92 of 552 Tours in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A walking-public/city bus tour that takes you to the Paris haunts, hangouts and places made famous by African-Americans. Founded in 1997 by former newscaster and travel reporter, Ricki Stevenson, Black Paris Tours provides little-known facts about the early presence of Africans and African Americans in the City of Light and introduces travelers to great jazz clubs, Diaspora museums of interest and restaurants worth writing home about!
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I just returned from Paris this month (November 2012) and had the most wonderful of experiences. Ricki Stevenson's Black Paris Tours was so informative and so much fun. I definitely came back to the United States with a greater knowledge & appreciation of the African influences in Parisian culture. All my friends that went on this trip with me also had nothing but praises for Ricki and her tour of Paris. I would reccomend this tour to anyone going to Paris. Kudos Ricki and thank you!

1  Thank Drea1913

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took this tour back in May 2012. I learned so much and had so much fun. I took several tours while in Paris and this was one of the best. Make sure you read the emails that Ricki Stevenson sends you as they have a wealth of information in them. Also contact her once you're there because sometimes there is a group of people that get together and go out to a jazz club before you even have the tour. There is a lot of walking, but everyone walks in Paris... only us lazy American's would complain about it! ;-) The food in Little Africa was wonderful! I took my friends, that met me later in my trip, back to that restaurant! The information that I learned on this tour, I still talk about it --a lot of info that American's do not know. I thank Ricki for teaching us how to take the bus because I used the bus and the subway to get everywhere...no taxi's for me! I was in France (with a side trip to Monaco) for just about 2 months and this tour was a true highlight!

2  Thank Katrina B
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had an AMAZING AMAZING tour with Ricki! I am a college student that was in Paris for a month studying and took Ricki's tour just before I left. I wish I had taken the tour sooner because she showed us so many hidden, treasures and unique places. I loved having her as our walking tour guide. She provided very interesting stories and made the journey around town very easy by having us take the bus along with walking. It was great to be able to sit on the bus and view all the beautiful buildings while Ricki talked about them. If you go I would wear very comfortable shoes as there is a lot of walking, as well as a camera to capture the memories. If you are deciding between a full or half day, you should do the full day! (You are sure to regret it because you will miss out on more great stories and places.) Ricki is so knowledgeable about Black history in Paris. You will not find any sort of tour like it, she makes it so personable and is just a joy to be around! The experience is one of a kind!! I cannot praise Ricki or this Tour enough or this Tour. It is a MUST when traveling around the beautiful city!

1  Thank Kaitlin B
Reviewed October 30, 2012

THE BLACK PARIS TOUR
We just returned from Paris and had a wonderful time. The Black Paris Tours was most informative. I did not know that Paris had so much black history. Ricki Stevenson’s knowledge of the history and contributions blacks made in Paris was overwhelming. Since returning home I have not been able to stop talking about the Black Paris Tour. When we go back to Paris we will defiantly take the Black Paris Tour again. I recommend everyone take the tour. Thanks again Ricki, Donald and Barbara

1  Thank Barbara C
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was influenced by TripAdvisors to include Black Paris Tours on our 7-day itinerary in Paris. We paid ½ of the fee in advance for the full-day tour via PayPal as instructed by email, and scheduled it for our 2nd day in Paris. The Tour advertises itself as using the Paris public transportation system, which I was anxiously expecting to learn and use. However, because of the group size, we used a small tour bus ... and rain was on the horizon. My lady shared me with a group of about 9 other women for the day, a memorable experience in itself.

If you already know much of the published history of Blacks living in Paris, you may find this tour boring at times. But, you will pick up some additional information, and seeing some of the statues, monuments and historical sites makes that period of bordom worthwhile. If you know little about Paris’ Black history, this tour is for you.

After we rode to the top of Montmartre -- the highest point in Paris for a stunning view of the city, the group ate at a very small restaurant in the ‘Little Africa’ (Goutte-d'Or) section of the city which is in the 18th arrondissement. We were served a smorgasbord at our table, and I enjoyed every dish. After dining, the group caught the public bus to a Metro rail station … in the rain. They were headed for the Eiffel, but my lady and I left the group and returned to our hotel via Metro. Getting ‘home’ was a piece of cake. Thanks, TripAdvisors, for the great recommendation!

1  Thank Beyondthebull