“Delicious”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Georges
Reviewed February 27, 2019

It’s a really good place. Really good food, a touch on the fancy side, but the atmosphere remains casual and not stuffy. The service is very good so overall a really pleasant experience.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank Yan S
Write a reviewReviews (354)

Reviewed January 3, 2019

I booked this restaurant via the hotel I was staying at in Paris, to go to with my boyfriend as a treat. It's expensive anyway, but even more so, understandably, given that it was for New Year's Eve and a special occasion. It was a tasting menu.

Our waiter asked if we wanted to choose the wine pairing with the menu. I questioned the cost of this food and wine pairing combination three times, as it seemed surprisingly cheap. The waiter answered me consistently, so in the end we chose to go for the wine pairing, rather than order a bottle of wine.

At the end of the meal we were hit with a bill that was massively more than we had been quoted. The waiter had been incorrect in what he told us - out by a massive £210! Given that I speak French, I don't think this was just a translation issue (admittedly rusty French but I did live there for 6 months, have a degree in it, and can make myself understood).

Naturally, I queried this. I'll admit that I should have known what the tasting menu cost was itself before even booking, so I would have happily paid fairly for that, but the wine quote was also massively off. Had we known the actual cost of the wine pairing, we would have paid 42 euros for a bottle instead (and not 120 euros).

What subsequently happened - where I had the original waiter saying that yes, he admitted he had told me the wrong cost - and then two other waiters point blank refusing to admit there was any error on their part, was frankly, a staggering display of shocking service. There was no room for compromise, and two waiters got very aggressive with me (at one point, at the same time), which was really quite upsetting. I have never, ever queried anything at a restaurant before so don't do it lightly. I was also very polite about it throughout, even when they weren't. I'm really not one for being loud, dramatic or causing any scenes.

I have never complained or made an issue at any restaurant, ever (I'm British!) but this was such a massive difference in cost, and such a shocking display of rude and uncompromising service. I don't mind that the waiter was wrong originally - it happens - but I find it very hard to get on board with a restaurant refusing to compromise or admit any mistake. That's just bad form, and unnecessarily rude behaviour, whoever you are and whatever the situation.

I paid the bill in full in the end because to be honest it was quite an upsetting experience. We also, as a result, missed midnight and the fireworks.

So all in all, this restaurant's bad service means that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all. Regardless of the food (it was good, though I've had better for the price, so I wouldn't say it's good value), there's no excuse for being rude and aggressive with your customers.

I let the hotel know, who were very apologetic and won't be sending any of their guests there any more. They didn't seem massively surprised, but perhaps that's wishful thinking...

All in all, a massive disappointment and I still feel they should refund me the difference in price, at the very least, for the wines. I would email them directly, but their website is down. Oh, and when I asked several times to speak to the manager on the night, they just insisted he was "too busy"...

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed December 31, 2018

Nice place in a lovely area. It wasn’t too noisy. Service was very personable and helpful. The mains came as as soon as we finished the starters, a bit quicker than expected. Food was good but for the deserts that were rather disppointing.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have differing opinions on this one. I found my daikon and crab starter to be creative and delicious. Meanwhile, he did not like how the foie gras was served cold. We arrived with a 10p dinner reservation, by that time 2 of the 4 options were sold out for the main. We both had the fish while our friends had the veal cheek. I thought the fish was fine, but my husband found it boring. The night ended with a dessert that smelled like Christmas, warm figs and ice cream. My husband was less impressed with his cheese. To note, the server was familiar with gluten free and for a short menu, I did have options for every course.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

Les Affranchis not only served us the best food we have had in Paris, it was among the best meals I have ever eaten. The egg carbonara was beautiful, and the foie gras was absolutely devine. So flavourful and silky. The braised veal cheek was amazing and the fish we ordered was flavourful and perfectly cooked. Finally, the desserts were also top notch - with the hazelnut mousse being the standout. It was light, fluffy, not too sweet and had amazing fresh berries to bring some acidity. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone going to Paris.

Date of visit: September 2018